• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

UTILA...SOLD OUT!!... March 8-15, 2008

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

#31 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:31 AM

Update:

Spoke with Deep Blue at DEMA. Here are some options to join them in Utila this year:

1. Dive March (high season) but good chance for whalesharks approx $1200 for the week, all inclusive, full meals, ocean front rooms, refrigerator. private balcony with hammock, table & chairs, unlimited shorediving, 24hr internet, 3 boat dives a day, 2 nite dives included

2. Dive April during the WhaleShark Research Trips (filling fast) approx $1695 includes all the above but you actively seek out the whalesharks and help with actual research and tagging etc. Nightly talks on whalesharks from experts, and other work related to the gentle giants.

3. Dive Sept/Oct and hopefully catch the second whaleshark season approx $1000 for the week (same as #1) and you experience the undiscovered beauty of Utila diving in addition to seeking out the gentle giants. Water is still comfortable and air is low.

Let us know your thoughts...

Hi Kamala,
...can you share any more info on option #2 ? It that one a liveaboard ? ...also, in the event SD doesn't choose to 'do' option #2, can interested divers book that trip on their own via SD ? ( I'm considering either option #1 or #2, I don't think option #3 will work for me this year. )

Thanks!

Karl

#32 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:56 AM

If we do it in fall it will now be Nov timeframe. Sept has 1-2 trips and Oct has 2 trips already (Wakatobi and NC).

Does Nov work?

November A. O.K.---- Thanksgiving week works, although air fare less on shoulders.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#33 CvilleBill

CvilleBill

Getting started

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:111

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:23 AM

November '08 works for me.
So many islands, so little time...

#34 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:38 PM

Update:

Spoke with Deep Blue at DEMA. Here are some options to join them in Utila this year:

1. Dive March (high season) but good chance for whalesharks approx $1200 for the week, all inclusive, full meals, ocean front rooms, refrigerator. private balcony with hammock, table & chairs, unlimited shorediving, 24hr internet, 3 boat dives a day, 2 nite dives included

2. Dive April during the WhaleShark Research Trips (filling fast) approx $1695 includes all the above but you actively seek out the whalesharks and help with actual research and tagging etc. Nightly talks on whalesharks from experts, and other work related to the gentle giants.

3. Dive Sept/Oct and hopefully catch the second whaleshark season approx $1000 for the week (same as #1) and you experience the undiscovered beauty of Utila diving in addition to seeking out the gentle giants. Water is still comfortable and air is low.

Hi Kamala,
...can you share any more info on option #2 ? It that one a liveaboard ? ...also, in the event SD doesn't choose to 'do' option #2, can interested divers book that trip on their own via SD ? ( I'm considering either option #1 or #2, I don't think option #3 will work for me this year. )

Thanks!

Karl

All options are landbased. Option #2 is more money because you are actually helping the researchers and going with them on their dives.

Jim aka Parrotman says that diving in Utilia is fantastic! Looking forward to seeing for myself!

Yes Karl SD can book you whenever! It helps us get booking clout and we try to help you get a better deal. Even if we can't you can always get your premier membership discount so that is an automatic $25 right there off the price!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#35 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 10 November 2007 - 07:56 PM

Update:

Hi Kamala,

Thanks!

Karl

All options are landbased. Option #2 is more money because you are actually helping the researchers and going with them on their dives.

Jim aka Parrotman says that diving in Utilia is fantastic! Looking forward to seeing for myself!

Yes Karl SD can book you whenever! It helps us get booking clout and we try to help you get a better deal. Even if we can't you can always get your premier membership discount so that is an automatic $25 right there off the price!

I have been to Utila several times. My favorite place to stay in the Bay Islands is Deep Blue Resort. I love the setting and the convenience of the place. I also really like Jasmines cooking... :-)
Steve, Jasmine and Shirley are like family by now. You really can't go wrong with this resort. Although I have not been to Holbox for the Whale sharks, and it is a trip that I want to do someday, from what I have read the Whaleshark experience there is very different than what you will experience on Utila. The vis is amazing and when you get in the water with a Whale Shark you can see the entire fish, all 20, 30 or 40ft of it. It is so clear that you can count the spots running down it's back. One time I was in the water with a pretty big one and he went vertical to feed, opened his mouth which could have swallowed me (and I'm pretty big) I was so close I could look in his eye. It was really awsome. But the great thing about doing the whale sharks on Utila is the fact that you can get your morning dives in, do the whale sharks and then do an afternoon dive as well.

Jim

Edited by Parrotman, 10 November 2007 - 08:05 PM.

Sea Turtle advocate!

#36 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:23 PM

Update:

Hi Kamala,

Thanks!

Karl

Thanks for the update, Kamala!

...just checking out the Deep Blue site info, they indicate a base price of $ 1595 for 1 week/dbl occupancy, then some additional costs: Honduran tax at 16% and Utila Diver Reef Tax of $4 per day of diving must be added to the package price. / $ 120.00 for unlimited NITROX/per week.

I'm not sure how to 'calculate' the impact of the 16% 'Honduran tax' on the 'real' price, if we assume the rosy scenario, 16% of $ 1595 = $ 255, add in NITROX, reef 'fees', we're now @ $ 2000, then add in tips/airfare, and the Whale Shark trip for a week will be in the $ 2500 - $ 3000 range...YIKES!

Karl

#37 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:48 PM

Deep Blue has a great reef just off its beach.

If you stay at Deep Blue you have got to get up early one morning and do a prebreakfast dive from shore.
or
Sneak in an after dinner dive on the nights you don't have a night dive planned.

I hope the huge green moray is still hanging out there. He is a big old boy who doesn't mind if you take his picture.

When I stayed at Deep Blue it was only accessable by boat. Not far from downtown but you need to make arrangements if you want to spend a night hanging in town with the locals.

I will be keeping an eye on this trip ~ have to see what the cost ends up being.

Diving Utila was great. Warm water with good vis.
Interesting creature to discover. I saw my first upside down jelly there.

Edited by gis_gal, 11 November 2007 - 06:49 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#38 Travelgal

Travelgal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:236

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:32 PM

Does anyone have any information about the Mango Inn>? They have some great fall specials this year and hopefully would next year.........I have talked with them at several dive shows but not talked to anyone who stayed there or went diving there. I am thinking Sept or Oct would be best for me..........November might be too late for whale sharks........
Never make someone a priority in your life who has only made you an option in theirs!

#39 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:28 PM

...from the Deep Blue message board:

WHALE SHARK PROJECT 2008

29th March - 5th April
5th - 12th April
12th - 19th April
19th - 26th April

The all inclusive package price for 2008 is $1595 plus 16% Honduran tax per person, double occupancy.

To date we have now identified 52 individual Whale Sharks and their unique digital identity is logged into the international Ecocean database. This data can be used for all time to re-identify these animals anywhere that they are seen again. For the first time anywhere in the world a Whale Shark was tracked through three countries during 2007; Honduras, Belize and Mexico. We are spreading the word and as more and more people know about this process and more and more information is sent to the database so we will be able to build an accurate image of the migration paths of these awesome sharks.

We are maintaining the 12 guests per week maximum for next year to give a quality experience to our guests and to ensure it is less disturbing for the Whale Sharks. If you wish to reserve a place, to avoid disappointment please email us early.

If you wish to book please ensure that you meet the criteria for involvement in the 2008 project:
* certified divers - our focus is whale shark research so we will not have the time or staff for teaching
* capable swimmers - we snorkel in open water with whale sharks
* a reasonable level of fitness - once we find whale sharks we are constantly off and on the boat
* good sailors - we can spend up to 6 hours at a time searching and being seasick is not good

If seeing whale sharks is your priority then come and join us.

#40 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:53 AM

Does anyone have any information about the Mango Inn>? They have some great fall specials this year and hopefully would next year.........I have talked with them at several dive shows but not talked to anyone who stayed there or went diving there. I am thinking Sept or Oct would be best for me..........November might be too late for whale sharks........

I stopped by Mango Inn when I was staying at Utila Lodge, next time I go to Utila I'm going to try it.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#41 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

Although I have not been to Holbox for the Whale sharks, and it is a trip that I want to do someday, from what I have read the Whaleshark experience there is very different than what you will experience on Utila. The vis is amazing and when you get in the water with a Whale Shark you can see the entire fish, all 20, 30 or 40ft of it. It is so clear that you can count the spots running down it's back. One time I was in the water with a pretty big one and he went vertical to feed, opened his mouth which could have swallowed me (and I'm pretty big) I was so close I could look in his eye. It was really awsome. But the great thing about doing the whale sharks on Utila is the fact that you can get your morning dives in, do the whale sharks and then do an afternoon dive as well.

Jim

Utila is the place to snorkel with whale sharks, the vis is a lot better than Holbox where there are more Whale sharks but you can't see them from end to end.
No matter where you go I do recommend a dry snorkel because you are going to be breathing hard trying to stay with them.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#42 Travelgal

Travelgal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:236

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:33 PM

I stopped by Mango Inn when I was staying at Utila Lodge, next time I go to Utila I'm going to try it.

Check out Mango Inn website for the current specials..........sounds pretty reasonable to me!
Never make someone a priority in your life who has only made you an option in theirs!

#43 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:12 PM

Check out Mango Inn website for the current specials..........sounds pretty reasonable to me!

We are booking agents for Mango Inn as well. Its hard to choose when you have several good options. However Steve at Deep Blue comes highly recommended by many of our members. I'm sure we have members who'll say the same about Mango Inn. Avail time for a group is also important and rep in chapbook etc.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#44 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:17 AM

We are booking agents for Mango Inn as well. Its hard to choose when you have several good options. However Steve at Deep Blue comes highly recommended by many of our members. I'm sure we have members who'll say the same about Mango Inn. Avail time for a group is also important and rep in chapbook etc.

Your looking at a whole different experience when staying at the Mango in. It is some what of a budget hotel. Very nice grounds set way back up the hill from down town and the water. They do have a small pool. If your into being close to town and the hustle and bustle, noise and etc then the Mango would probably be a good place to stay. If your into more of a quiet resort type setting where your waited on then Mango would probably not be the place.

At Deep Blue, you check in, go to the boat for the first day of diving and get your gear set up and then you don't really touch it again (except for diving of course) until you get ready to leave. Your meals are served in the dining room and you have a menu to pick from on a daily basis. There is a bar and a rec room with a pool table, video/cd players and computers. Mango does not have any of these amenities. Nothing negative about the Mango, it's just different.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#45 susiq

susiq

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Board Status:Workin' hard in NYC to fund my next dream trip!
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:355

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:30 PM

I haven't been here in a while, but am interested in one of the spring ( March or April) Utila options....probably #1 is better for me.... I was in Roatan in August for 2 weeks (doing some dive training--- i've definitely got some interesting stories for over a margarita...)and it was pretty awesome diving there even though what I did was limited to the north shore mid-Island...... I'll check in again to see where this is going....

Best,
susiQ :cool1:
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever-- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users