• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Trip Insurance

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:24 AM

Trip Insurance--do you get it?

What's covered? What's not?

How easy or hard was it to make/settle your claim?

Since SD just ended a group dive trip VERY early to Cozumel thanks to H.Dean, I was wondering about this rarely spoken about aspect of travel--particularly Scuba Travel.

PlatypusMan

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:15 AM

I always get it for trips to the Caribbean during hurricane season and long flights to catch a liveaboard where a flight delay would cause me to miss the boat.

Unfortunetly I didn't get it for my trip to Utila where I ended up being air evaced to a hospital :P

It's easy to get but I've never had to make a claim and I hope I never have to.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:32 AM

Unfortunetly I didn't get it for my trip to Utila where I ended up being air evaced to a hospital :P

I carry dive insurance for that eventuality and also trip insurance in case of trip issues / cancellations / missing the boat, etc. Both policies cover illness or unexpected hospital stays. Never had to use either to date, but I feel good carrying them. I have heard stories of incredible medical bills.

I once twisted my knee on a mountain in New Hampshire while 4500 feet up. I had no insurance at the time and I had to walk off the mountain, then drive 5 hours back across the border before going to a Canadian ER. Did not walk properly for 6 months. Lesson learned...
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#4 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:45 AM

I carry dive insurance for that eventuality and also trip insurance in case of trip issues / cancellations / missing the boat, etc. Both policies cover illness or unexpected hospital stays. Never had to use either to date, but I feel good carrying them. I have heard stories of incredible medical bills.

I once twisted my knee on a mountain in New Hampshire while 4500 feet up. I had no insurance at the time and I had to walk off the mountain, then drive 5 hours back across the border before going to a Canadian ER. Did not walk properly for 6 months. Lesson learned...

Do you have DAN diving insurance??? If you do, they might have been able to help you, even for non diving accidents. It kicks in when you are >50 miles away from home.

Can't you Canadians get it? (That is, DAN USA ins.)

Edited by secretsea18, 20 August 2007 - 09:48 AM.

#5 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:29 AM

Do you have DAN diving insurance??? If you do, they might have been able to help you, even for non diving accidents. It kicks in when you are >50 miles away from home.

I have DAN's very best dive insurance today. :P However, the mountain incident was prior to my being a diver by about 18 months. :diver:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#6 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:26 PM

Unfortunetly I didn't get it for my trip to Utila where I ended up being air evaced to a hospital :banghead:

Unless you have DAN's best policy it doesn't pay if you are not in the water when it happens, moral, tie a line onto the boat and jump in, the DM gets credit for a rescue and DAN pays!

Just for the record, it's cheaper in Honduras, one day at a clinic, hire a pilot with Cessna to fly doc and me to LaCieba, one night at their best hospital with all kinds of test and ferry back to Utila was under $550US. Blue Cross paid for everything but the pilot, they said I should have taken an ambulance! :lmao:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#7 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:02 PM

Just for the record, it's cheaper in Honduras, one day at a clinic, hire a pilot with Cessna to fly doc and me to LaCieba, one night at their best hospital with all kinds of test and ferry back to Utila was under $550US. Blue Cross paid for everything but the pilot, they said I should have taken an ambulance! :lmao:

But only if it's pre-authorized. :welcome: I never heard how you made out with that. I'm glad Blue Cross paid you back all the moola.

If a trip is over $2,000 (and let's face it, most dive trips are) I get insurance. I know a lot of people think it's a waste of $, (and some have even told me that if I can't afford to be out $4,000 then I shouldn't travel, [must be nice to be rich]) but I think it's worth it. I haven't gotten it for over a year, so I don't remember exactly what it covers. I do know that it didn't cover the cost of fixing the truck at Buddy's that my son cracked up. :banghead:

Edited by Fairybasslet, 20 August 2007 - 06:06 PM.

#8 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:13 PM

This article related to trip insurance was on CNN.COM today

http://www.cnn.com/2...e.ap/index.html

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:25 PM

SingleDivers.com uses two companies heavily...CSA and DiveAssure. Both are easy to file claims with and both are generous in what they cover. You'll find those links after every trip listing...and yes we do STRONGLY encourage that you get trip insurance! And we require DAN or DIVE ASSURE or equilivent DIVER INSURANCE for any trips you take with us.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#10 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

SingleDivers.com uses two companies heavily...CSA and DiveAssure. Both are easy to file claims with and both are generous in what they cover. You'll find those links after every trip listing...and yes we do STRONGLY encourage that you get trip insurance! And we require DAN or DIVE ASSURE or equilivent DIVER INSURANCE for any trips you take with us.

Quick question but at the moment I am a little lazy. Is Dive Assure a regular trip insurance company, or an alternative to DAN only?
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:44 PM

Quick question but at the moment I am a little lazy. Is Dive Assure a regular trip insurance company, or an alternative to DAN only?

They offer both DIVER and TRIP insurance.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#12 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:54 PM

You're the best! Thanks for the quick answer...
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users