• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Cold Water Diving - 0 for 4

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

All excellent points. I think the biggest thing is still the number one rule of diving. Always breathe. Nice slow easy breaths. When I was having issues, and sometimes I still do, and I start breathing all eratically, which makes any other problem 10x worse, I start breathing by the numbers. In 1...2...3 out 1...2...3, and I try to slow the count down to my normal breathing rate within about 90 seconds or less. Once you get that accomplished you can focus on whatever is troubling you. If it is in your head, I find that goes away with the breathing exercise, if it's the cold water, you are pretty much acclimated, if it is gear related you can deal with it easier.

Just my .02$
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#17 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:16 PM

This is just my opinion but you chose some of the most aggressive venues (NE diving) and experiences to initiate your first cold water dives. You dove in unknown terrain, using gear that might be better suited for warm water or just didn't fit well at all or even work properly, and in one casing diving a dry suit without any real instruction and all in all you did VERY WELL if you ask me given all the circumstances. I think you are logically thinking that you can transition from one type of diving to the other and not encounter issues. Now having over 1000 dives....trust me I felt like I had to learn to dive all over again when I started diving dry. I felt I was learning to dive all over again when I first dove cold. (Still have issues with it but I'm getting more experience and I want to learn.)And I'm claustrophobic so learning to dive cold is VERY hard for me but many suffer the same issues.... So don't be too hard on yourself...it will take time. But hey...that is good part...we get to work at something we love and we'll enjoy it more!

Well, my first cold water dives would actually be my certification dives a year ago. I trained up here, and got my certification up here. All 4 (5 counting the pseudo freedive) dives were done at Dutch. If my schedule/illness were better timed, my first 2 dives would have been in the quarry, and the second two off the coast of NJ on the RR barge, as that's what the dive shop I trained at usually uses. They also teach use of Pony bottles rather than Octopuses from the pool on up since most boats in NJ require redundant air, be it doubles or a pony.

So I did my cert dives, went to Australia for a cousin's wedding and did a mini-liveaboard off the Great Barrier Reef (where I was disconcerted by the lack of pony bottles and mildly confused by the rental gear in metric "How big are your tanks?" "9 or 11 liters."), did a few dives at Dutch this time last year as the wetsuit diving season drew to a close, and those were the last cold water dives I did until the dry suit attempt. Part of my frustration is that I've done these dives, in these locations, and I did them when I had 40 or so fewer overall dives than I do now.

Barring a dive buddy for Saturday, I have a Rescue class up at Dutch on Sunday. We'll see how that goes; instructor is aware of some of this history. If it sucks again, I'll call it again, and do it in a calmer state where nothing is expected but being underwater and breathing, be it this year or next. Belize is in under 2 weeks, and I suspect after that will be past my cold threshold, especially diving wet.

#18 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:23 PM

All excellent points. I think the biggest thing is still the number one rule of diving. Always breathe. Nice slow easy breaths. When I was having issues, and sometimes I still do, and I start breathing all eratically, which makes any other problem 10x worse, I start breathing by the numbers. In 1...2...3 out 1...2...3, and I try to slow the count down to my normal breathing rate within about 90 seconds or less. Once you get that accomplished you can focus on whatever is troubling you. If it is in your head, I find that goes away with the breathing exercise, if it's the cold water, you are pretty much acclimated, if it is gear related you can deal with it easier.

Just my .02$

I was running through my dive computer logs this morning to answer a PM about diving the Blue Hole. According to it, my SAC rate was about 3 cu. ft./min on the bad drysuit dive in May. I may have the working pressure & capacity wrong for the tanks I was in, so I need to double check, but I don't think so. Of course, that includes me trying to inflate the drysuit while it all dumped out the vent, so may be somewhat off.

Normal SAC for me is around 0.7 for calm dive, 0.5 for a very calm drift dive, and 0.8-0.9 for a more stressed/active dive, bearing in mind most of those dives were Cozumel and drifty.

So yeah, calm, relaxed breathing. :lmao:

#19 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:51 PM

Normal SAC for me is around 0.7 for calm dive, 0.5 for a very calm drift dive, and 0.8-0.9 for a more stressed/active dive, bearing in mind most of those dives were Cozumel and drifty.

So yeah, calm, relaxed breathing. :)

Well, part of that too is just concentrating on something simple and not associated with what is troubling you. For example if you are at Dutch and do a surface swim out to the platforms, you can descend to 20 feet and just sit on the boards and count 1 2 3 1 2 3, not worrying about anything else. For me the act of counting works to settle me down, it isn't so much just about conserving air as it is relaxing my brain. It also works when running, when it hurts and you think about quitting, just count your steps up to 20 and start over, repeat until you finish. Same thing here, focus on 1 simple thing and tie your breathing to it, and for me at least within a minute on average I am good to go.

Of course in a sticky situation like upside down in a dry suit or in a ripping current you can't do that. But that is what places like Dutch are for...
Drew Z.

#20 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:10 PM

Barring a dive buddy for Saturday, I have a Rescue class up at Dutch on Sunday. We'll see how that goes; instructor is aware of some of this history. If it sucks again, I'll call it again, and do it in a calmer state where nothing is expected but being underwater and breathing, be it this year or next. Belize is in under 2 weeks, and I suspect after that will be past my cold threshold, especially diving wet.

Spoke with the Rescue instructor; we're going to have a calm "intro" dive before the actual class since several of the students haven't done cold water before, or only a couple of dives a while ago. Apparently one of the comments made was "I have to dive wearing this?" Should be fun. :P

#21 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:14 AM

Spoke with the Rescue instructor; we're going to have a calm "intro" dive before the actual class since several of the students haven't done cold water before, or only a couple of dives a while ago. Apparently one of the comments made was "I have to dive wearing this?" Should be fun. :P

I remember the first time I put a 7mm farmer john on, after diving in a 3mm or nothing. I felt like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man lol
Drew Z.

#22 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:12 PM

Good luck with the class. My advise (not asked for I know) would be to not take the Rescue Class now but rather to get in more dives at Dutch Springs.

To me the Rescue Class should be done when diving skills are not an issue.

Let us hear how it goes.

#23 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:02 PM

Good luck with the class. My advise (not asked for I know) would be to not take the Rescue Class now but rather to get in more dives at Dutch Springs.

To me the Rescue Class should be done when diving skills are not an issue.

Let us hear how it goes.

I try to always be open to advice, as long as the adviser is open to me not taking it. :P Your advice does make some sense. The problem is that we're at the end of the wetsuit dive season at Dutch, and I do want to wrap up the class rather than have it roll into next year. The two dive shops I use have different affiliations (PADI & NAUI), so if I'm not happy with where my skills are and the outcome of the class, I can take it again from the other agency next year. I'm doing that now with my Advanced class, since I took it on a liveaboard last year, and wasn't happy with the skills/training. I got my PADI Advanced Open Water card, and I'm in the process of getting my NAUI Advanced Scuba Diver card, using specialties that are a little more rigorous than the ones on the liveaboard. If I'm not happy with where I am after the Rescue class, I'll take it again.

(And to head off any agency flamewarsdiscussions, it's not that I think that PADI's specialties are less rigorous than NAUI's, just that the ones offered at a resort/liveaboard are usually the simpler ones to complete.)

#24 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:52 PM

As most have said, having your own gear that fits properly makes a HUGE difference. My buddy and I did a dive this summer here where his son (newly certified) was in from Nebraska and doing his first ocean dive. Rather that let his son use rental gear which was different than reantal gear he was using out there he let his son use his gear (very similar in size and stature) while my buddy used rental gear. When he came out of the water he was astonished as to how much strees was added to his dive from this seemingly minor switch to different gear :P he was glad for his son that he did this though. Correct me if I'm wrong but your also diving back and forth from fresh to salt water as well and this will add to things you must allow for change. As others have said I would suggest (if it is available) to start with a few easy entry shore dives as it will afford you a comfort level, an area for adjustment, and you less depth to worry about.

Take Trace up on his offer, I hear he is quite good :lmao:

I hope this helps some.

Bruce
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#25 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:12 PM

Went up to Dutch Springs on Sunday for the Rescue class. The wetsuit worked well, and I had no issues on a fairly shallow dive, deepest we got was around 30' or so. I did cheat, though, in that I didn't wear a hood or gloves in the 65 degree water. Never felt cold, although I also never passed a thermocline. Amazing what a non-leaking mask and comfortable gear can do. The other dives I did as part of the class were deeper (40-45 ft), but shorter, ending with finding the victims and surfacing them.

Great class, enjoyed it a lot. Still somewhat sore from it today. Lots of good practice of coping with unusual circumstances. Just glad I wasn't the one the "victim" ripped the mask off of and dropped in the muck accidentally. :birthday:

Unfortunately, we did have some examples of why a rescue class is a good idea. One diver fell backwards in gear and did something to their leg within sight of the class, and even more unfortunately, a diver found unresponsive underwater. :birthday:

#26 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:27 PM

Congrats!
Drew Z.

#27 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

Went up to Dutch Springs on Sunday for the Rescue class. The wetsuit worked well, and I had no issues on a fairly shallow dive, deepest we got was around 30' or so. I did cheat, though, in that I didn't wear a hood or gloves in the 65 degree water. Never felt cold, although I also never passed a thermocline. Amazing what a non-leaking mask and comfortable gear can do. The other dives I did as part of the class were deeper (40-45 ft), but shorter, ending with finding the victims and surfacing them.

Great class, enjoyed it a lot. Still somewhat sore from it today. Lots of good practice of coping with unusual circumstances. Just glad I wasn't the one the "victim" ripped the mask off of and dropped in the muck accidentally. :birthday:

Unfortunately, we did have some examples of why a rescue class is a good idea. One diver fell backwards in gear and did something to their leg within sight of the class, and even more unfortunately, a diver found unresponsive underwater. :birthday:

WOW! Sorry to hear you had a real life experience while taking this course.
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#28 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:28 PM

There have been many incidents this year at Dutch. This is my first season there so I hope this is way above normal...
Drew Z.

#29 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:27 PM

There have been many incidents this year at Dutch. This is my first season there so I hope this is way above normal...

I think there has been more than normal there this year. I don't have any statistics to support it though.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#30 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:01 PM

I'm glad everything worked out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users