• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Cold Water Diving - 0 for 4

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:40 AM

I'm glad everything worked out!

Me too! And congrats! I too would have been in the 'wait until you get a few more dives' camp but then I waited until I had a couple of hundred dives before I took rescue. And then I repeated Rescue again to ensure that I really had the skills down. There is so much to learn and you need to continue practicing it or you will lose it.

Congrats again! And as gcbryan basically said....while not asked for and therefore not expected to be heeded...this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it... :cool1:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#32 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:44 AM

SPECIAL THANK YOU!

I would like to thank the truly amazing and experienced divers who have taken time to reply to this and other questions from our newer divers. This is truly one of the best ways we can learn to be better divers. Having different viewpoints and suggestions/ideas/advice is tremendously valuable and could not be typically be procured for free.

The gift of time and knowledge is something that I hope our members never take for granted and that our 'givers' realize how much we appreciate! :cool1:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#33 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

WOW! Sorry to hear you had a real life experience while taking this course.

The rescue class didn't find the unresponsive diver from the story, in case I gave the wrong impression, although one of my fellow rescue students who was also an EMT did assist in backboarding and transporting the diver who fell near us to the ambulance. The real incidents were definitely "wow" moments, in terms of driving home the usefulness of the training.

Me too! And congrats! I too would have been in the 'wait until you get a few more dives' camp but then I waited until I had a couple of hundred dives before I took rescue. And then I repeated Rescue again to ensure that I really had the skills down. There is so much to learn and you need to continue practicing it or you will lose it.

Congrats again! And as gcbryan basically said....while not asked for and therefore not expected to be heeded...this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it... :D

Thank you. I do appreciate people's advice; I wouldn't have asked for input otherwise. Did you think I should have waited because I don't have enough dives in yet for it to make sense to do Rescue, because I was having an issue with cold water diving, or a different reason?

And I may very well repeat the Rescue class, as I said, if for no other reason than I enjoy seeing the differences between the programs from the different agencies.

I would like to thank the truly amazing and experienced divers who have taken time to reply to this and other questions from our newer divers. This is truly one of the best ways we can learn to be better divers. Having different viewpoints and suggestions/ideas/advice is tremendously valuable and could not be typically be procured for free.

The gift of time and knowledge is something that I hope our members never take for granted and that our 'givers' realize how much we appreciate! :cool1:

I do greatly appreciate it. When I posted the thread initially, I had prepared myself for some... pointed commentary, given the nature of forums on the Internet. Everyone who has participated has been unfailingly polite and helpful, with a number of useful comments and offers of help. So :D for sharing your thoughts and opinions with me, and for the great offers of help.

#34 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:53 PM

I do greatly appreciate it. When I posted the thread initially, I had prepared myself for some... pointed commentary, given the nature of forums on the Internet. Everyone who has participated has been unfailingly polite and helpful, with a number of useful comments and offers of help. So :D for sharing your thoughts and opinions with me, and for the great offers of help.

Yes many people are worried about being flamed or blasted for taking a risk and posting such questions. You'll find it is a hallmark of our site and the reason that many of the very talented and seasoned divers will post on our site and share with us. We are thrilled to have their input and we have zero tolerance for any flaming or negative posts that do not offer constructive help, suggestions or positive advice. :D

formerly...

#35 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:02 PM

Yes many people are worried about being flamed or blasted for taking a risk and posting such questions. You'll find it is a hallmark of our site and the reason that many of the very talented and seasoned divers will post on our site and share with us. We are thrilled to have their input and we have zero tolerance for any flaming or negative posts that do not offer constructive help, suggestions or positive advice. :D

The only people who have never had any problems in the water, are people who never get wet. The people here are smart,and remember their problems and solutions. And since many of us have met, or might one day meet, there is more of a friendship thing going on here as opposed to most other boards I have been on, scuba or otherwise.
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#36 Scuba dew

Scuba dew

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver and dive at Flw Garden/Cozumel & Bonaire
  • Logged Dives:276

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:40 PM

Congrats again! And as gcbryan basically said....while not asked for and therefore not expected to be heeded...this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it... :cool1:

I'm so glad I read this post. I have 200+ dives in, and have had my rescue class, but thought I should have gotten a little more out of the class. Thanks for letting me know that it would be ok to retake the rescue class.

#37 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:24 PM

If you develop a relationship with your local shop a lot of the time they will use you as a person in need(victim) for a rescue class and you can pick up refresher training in rescue that way for free and not have to take the whole class again. Not that that would be a bad thing.

Congrats again! And as gcbryan basically said....while not asked for and therefore not expected to be heeded...this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it... :o

I'm so glad I read this post. I have 200+ dives in, and have had my rescue class, but thought I should have gotten a little more out of the class. Thanks for letting me know that it would be ok to retake the rescue class.

Edited by pir8, 06 November 2007 - 03:27 PM.

Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#38 Scuba dew

Scuba dew

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver and dive at Flw Garden/Cozumel & Bonaire
  • Logged Dives:276

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:21 PM

If you develop a relationship with your local shop a lot of the time they will use you as a person in need(victim) for a rescue class and you can pick up refresher training in rescue that way for free and not have to take the whole class again. Not that that would be a bad thing.

Congrats again! And as gcbryan basically said....while not asked for and therefore not expected to be heeded...this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it... :o

Thanx for the tip, I'll have to try that.

#39 KeithT4U

KeithT4U

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water with over 20 dives in variety of locations, mucky lakes to FL reefs
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:08 PM

I would like to add a little imput from my experiences. I too had a mask flood issue in cold water. I got lucky and ater 2 new masks that I was assured fit properly they would still leak in cold water. With my buddy we noticed some wrinkles around my eyes from the hood. Off to the dive shop and buy the next larger size hood. Next time out my mask still leaked. All this time I had to exhale through my nose every breath to keep water out of my eyes. Then a miricle happened, I went on a live aboard in cold water. Another diver on the boat who like me was also of a large frame suggested I put the mask on under the hood. This solved the leaky mask problem, but I did have to go back to the spaller hood as the new one was too big. All worked out in the end and such a cheap solution to the problem.

Keith
If at first you don't suceed.....don't try sky diving.
Women should always think beauty over brains since men can see much further than they can think. :)

#40 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:08 AM

And NONE of this would have happened if you only had the good sense to join the WWW* SCUBA movement. As founding member and annointed spokesman, it offers the following benefits.

1. Beer is available in large quantities at tropical mexkin resorts
2. No excessive weights to compensate for drysuit or 7mm wetsuit
3. No dry suit required
4. No hood or gloves required
5. You can buy your regs at Wal-Mart
6. Beer is available in large quantities at tropical mexkin resorts
7. Polar Bear attacks are not part of the dive briefing
8. Rutting Male Walrus will not mistake you for a female companion
9. Cutting holes in the ice before you dive is not required
10. Beer is available in large quantities at tropical mexkin resorts

*Warm Water Wus
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#41 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:19 PM

And NONE of this would have happened if you only had the good sense to join the WWW* SCUBA movement. As founding member and annointed spokesman, it offers the following benefits.

3. No dry suit required

*Warm Water Wus

:teeth: :lmao:...hey wait a minute...no one ever gave me the polar bear attack briefing up here! :o :P
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#42 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:07 PM

3. No dry suit required

*Warm Water Wus

:teeth: :lmao:...hey wait a minute...no one ever gave me the polar bear attack briefing up here! :o :P

I missed that one in my Ice Diving Class too

#43 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

*Warm Water Wus

Ok, well then allow me to edumacate you guys, and girls...

Polar bears lie in wait near holes for seals to pop up and breath. Make sure you dive with someone you don't like, and let them surface first...

Edited by ScubaDrew, 11 April 2008 - 03:31 PM.

Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#44 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

*Warm Water Wus

Ok, well then allow me to edumacate you guys, and girls...

Polar bears lie in wait near holes for seals to pop up and breath. Make sure you dive with someone you don't like, and let them surface first...

It would be hard for me to find someone that dives that I don't like

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users