• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dry Suit Pointers Anyone

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Scuba dew

Scuba dew

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver and dive at Flw Garden/Cozumel & Bonaire
  • Logged Dives:276

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:15 AM

Well I've taken the plunge and signed up for a drysuit class this weekend at PK Lake (Possum Kingdom) at Scuba Point. Since my niece invited me to come visit her in LA, I thought I better take a drysuit class.

Is anyone else interested in doing the same, or have any hints for me? The coldest H2O I've been in has been at Santa Rosa, NM at the Blue Hole, water temp is a constant 61.

PK Lake during the summer stays around 85 to 86 above the thermocline, and drops to mid 60's below it. I talked to the people at Scuba Point and they said the water temp now is 71, so I'm figuring it's gonna be pretty cold below the thermocline. (I've gotten used to warm water dives in the gulf.)

I will be able to rent a drysuit from them for my class but was wondering if I will be using my own boots, gloves and weight belt?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Edited by Scuba dew, 02 November 2007 - 11:46 AM.

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:34 PM

I will be able to rent a drysuit from them for my class but was wondering if I will be using my own boots, gloves and weight belt?

:cheerleader: Don't use anything pointy around a drysuit :D

I doubt if your boots will work with the dry suit because most have boots built in, gloves maybe and weight belt if it's long enough to go around you, undergarments and the dry suit.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 Scuba dew

Scuba dew

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:56 PM

:cheerleader: Don't use anything pointy around a drysuit :cheerleader:

I doubt if your boots will work with the dry suit because most have boots built in, gloves maybe and weight belt if it's long enough to go around you, undergarments and the dry suit.

You mean I can't take my sissors along? :D

#4 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:06 PM

Good luck with your class! I took my drysuit course a few months ago and don't have any great revelations for you but I can offer the following...

- Make sure those seals are snug! 2 of the 3 suits I tried had ill-fitting seals and boy, were those dives miserable. :dry:

- Be mindful of adding air to your suit. I would regularly add what I thought was a touch here and there because I was cold, and then lost control of my buoyancy and wound up on the surface. (And was still cold.)

Is your hood designed for cold temps? Does it have a zipper up the back? I bought a hood specifically for drysuit diving and have found the zipper to be most beneficial. As for gloves... I bought a cold water neoprene pair and didn't find them to be all that warm.

Will the suit you'll be renting come with attached boots or neoprene socks? If the boots are attached and not really your size, your regular fins probably won't fit. (Mine didn't.)

Have a great time! :)

#5 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:15 AM

I'm confused, where will you be diving with it? Just in PK Lake? You mentioned LA, not sure where you can dive around there or what the water temp is.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#6 Scuba dew

Scuba dew

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

I'm confused, where will you be diving with it? Just in PK Lake? You mentioned LA, not sure where you can dive around there or what the water temp is.

My plan is to take the lessons here in Texas at PK Lake, but when I visit my neice who lives in LA I will be renting a drysuit there. I've heard the temp in LA is high 40 ish. I'm not sure where I can dive either, but am going to look into where to go.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

#7 Scuba dew

Scuba dew

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:20 PM

Good luck with your class! I took my drysuit course a few months ago and don't have any great revelations for you but I can offer the following...

- Make sure those seals are snug! 2 of the 3 suits I tried had ill-fitting seals and boy, were those dives miserable. :dry:

- Be mindful of adding air to your suit. I would regularly add what I thought was a touch here and there because I was cold, and then lost control of my buoyancy and wound up on the surface. (And was still cold.)

Is your hood designed for cold temps? Does it have a zipper up the back? I bought a hood specifically for drysuit diving and have found the zipper to be most beneficial. As for gloves... I bought a cold water neoprene pair and didn't find them to be all that warm.

Will the suit you'll be renting come with attached boots or neoprene socks? If the boots are attached and not really your size, your regular fins probably won't fit. (Mine didn't.)

Have a great time! :)

Thanks for the advise. My lesson was a blast, but unfortunately too short. I will be doing more dives this coming weekend. When I inverted the air on my right side forced my boot off my foot. (I didn't lose the fin though!) That cut the class short. The drysuit I used was the instructors smallest of his 2 drysuits. He wears a size 13 shoe so I bet I could have worn my own boots inside the drysuit! No my hood isn't designed for cold temp, it is only a 1mm neoprene (the water was 71 so I didn't need it but was glad I wore one) I tucked it inside the collar. I brought my 5mm neoprene golves but never used them, thy weren't necessary for that water temp. I didn't have any problems w/ the seals, I stayed dry except when I took the suit off. I guess I didn't get all the water out of the collar. My fins didn't work, neither did the fins we used. Better luck next weekend. :banghead:

Thanks again for the advise.

#8 Topless

Topless

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD
  • Logged Dives:138

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:22 PM

Yup, you learned a good pointer -- wear the correct size! A drysuit that is too big is a nightmare.

Always check your neck seal. I forgot to do so Saturday and I was a bit chilly! :banghead:

#9 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:36 PM

<snip> When I inverted the air on my right side forced my boot off my foot. (I didn't lose the fin though!) <snip>

Oops! I had that happen to me, too. :banghead:

It was suggested to me to use a pair of fin guards/keepers so once I experienced the need for them, I listened and bought a pair. They worked great! Even oversized boots stayed put.

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:44 PM

Whites has a new design called the Fusion that you should consider. I have not used it myself, but it looks like it will cut the learning curve to almost nothing.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:13 PM

Whites has a new design called the Fusion that you should consider. I have not used it myself, but it looks like it will cut the learning curve to almost nothing.

No pockets though. Which makes the suit essentially worthless to me.

#12 Scuba dew

Scuba dew

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:18 PM

Yup, you learned a good pointer -- wear the correct size! A drysuit that is too big is a nightmare.

Always check your neck seal. I forgot to do so Saturday and I was a bit chilly! :dry:

Thanks for sharing your pics. was that an aligator in Belize? I liked the get wet pumpkin. :banghead:

#13 Topless

Topless

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD
  • Logged Dives:138

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for sharing your pics. was that an aligator in Belize? I liked the get wet pumpkin. :banghead:

Croc. The resort had told us there was no shore diving, but they didn't tell us why until we got there. There's a crocodile research center at one end of the atoll. Every morning the crocs move from the ocean in front of the resort to the lagoon in back, then reverse in the evening. They go right through the resort!

The pumpkin carving contest is very cool. :dry:

#14 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:29 PM

No pockets though. Which makes the suit essentially worthless to me.

I've been following threads about this suit with great interest on other boards and with the amount of feedback Whites is getting regarding the lack of pockets, I reckon they'll look into adding some soon.

#15 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:44 PM

Adding pockets to a Fusion would require a major design change.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users