• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Gray Market Regulators

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:42 PM

I don't understand why the SCUBA equipment market can't be structured similar to the auto market. There are some dealers that just sell cars and provide little or no service. There are dealers that sell cars and service them too. There are thousands of companies that primarily provide just service, from big corporations like Midas and Jiffy Lube, to mom and pop autoshops.

It can't be this way, because companies like ScubaPro, and Aqualung refuse to do it. They won't allow parts access or tools access to just "service" facilities, and allow them to call themselves authorized. These two companies (industry behemoths) won't allow authorized internet sales either, though they do little to nothing to stop places like LeisurePro from selling their gear.

It's a huge sham, and one I choose not to support.

#32 Scuba_Dad

Scuba_Dad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:24 PM

I don't understand why the SCUBA equipment market can't be structured similar to the auto market. There are some dealers that just sell cars and provide little or no service. There are dealers that sell cars and service them too. There are thousands of companies that primarily provide just service, from big corporations like Midas and Jiffy Lube, to mom and pop autoshops.

It can't be this way, because companies like ScubaPro, and Aqualung refuse to do it. They won't allow parts access or tools access to just "service" facilities, and allow them to call themselves authorized. These two companies (industry behemoths) won't allow authorized internet sales either, though they do little to nothing to stop places like LeisurePro from selling their gear.

You can buy tools for most regulators. I've only bought one tool directly from ScubaPro. I bought the rest from ScubaTools.

I wish I could get parts for my ScubaPro regulators. I can do a better job than the LDS that recently serviced my MK25/X650. I had to bring it back to the shop once... I tried it again today, and I'm going to bring it back.

Fixing my own gear is one disadvantage of being an Independent Instructor not attached to an LDS. If I can find a source for parts who sells them at a reasonable price... I'll fix my own stuff.

Now... I'm not saying every diver should fix his own gear. I am a certified (but unable to service because I don't work for a ScubaPro dealer) ScubaPro technician.
If you're bored diving, then you quit learning...

#33 nydiver

nydiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~200

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:19 PM

You can buy tools for most regulators. I've only bought one tool directly from ScubaPro. I bought the rest from ScubaTools.

I wish I could get parts for my ScubaPro regulators. I can do a better job than the LDS that recently serviced my MK25/X650. I had to bring it back to the shop once... I tried it again today, and I'm going to bring it back.

Fixing my own gear is one disadvantage of being an Independent Instructor not attached to an LDS. If I can find a source for parts who sells them at a reasonable price... I'll fix my own stuff.

Now... I'm not saying every diver should fix his own gear. I am a certified (but unable to service because I don't work for a ScubaPro dealer) ScubaPro technician.

As I understand it its about liability, if the manufacturer allowed just anyone to service regs then they bear some liability by supplying the parts for the service. We have several brands in house that I don't touch and there are some brands that only I can repair despite being the low man on the 3 repair tech totem pole. Can my mentor fix some of what I have certs for? Hell yeah, and probably better than me, but he didn't goto the clinic and hence is not authorized to repair them.

The statement that "free parts" won't pay off doesn't own a poseideon, forget to bring it in every 2 years and get ready for a 150+ upfront charge just to start, that's what the parts cost. We service poseideon for free, no charge for labor, due to the cost of parts. We had a few this year that cost over 250 in parts.

#34 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:22 AM

The auto industry analogy is fairly good... one could sufficently argue replacing one's brakes as equivilent in risk to self servicing your regulator (actually worse as MANY others could be impacted by faulty brakes)...

They do it because they can, and no one has told them they can't.... When enough people get pissed off enough to do something about it, and file a lawsuit arguing anti-competition, maybe then will the practices change....

But the scuba industry is just not big enough w/ no financial incentive for any business to make money on the outcome... So, the consumer pays the price... Where's Ralph Nader when ya need him?

-Tim
"I aim to misbehave...."

#35 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:31 AM

The statement that "free parts" won't pay off doesn't own a poseideon, forget to bring it in every 2 years and get ready for a 150+ upfront charge just to start, that's what the parts cost. We service poseideon for free, no charge for labor, due to the cost of parts. We had a few this year that cost over 250 in parts.

You just convinced me to never buy poseidon....

The kits are maybe < $5 to produce, this entire 'service' is a revenue generator for the LDS, keep a steady revenue feed into the shop.... service, trips, and fills are the only continuous revenue steam from a customer. Training is loss leader to over inflated gear sales.

Apeks DS4's are $180 on the grey market... Kits are ~$30, paying someone to service it, guestimate another $25.

The reg are bullet-proof. Service interval is inspection, overhaul, etc... And I can imagine the LDS is going to charge 'service' for inspection... I've gotten 4-5 years of out of a set of DS4's on my doubles, so at that interval, I can almost save money my ebaying it and taking the proceeds to purchase new vs. taking it to a shop to service, or service myself!

Let's not even mention the outragous upcharges to prep for O2 service!

-Tim
"I aim to misbehave...."

#36 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:47 AM

I would not wish for this. With the new found strength of the Canuck buck a lot of folks are buying cars in the US to avoid higher lot prices, heinous taxes and levies (In one case they saved $17,000). Then when they bring them up here the local dealerships refuse to service them. Same vehicle made in the same plants as the ones on their lots. Overt protectionism.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users