• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PLANNING THREAD: Maldives

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Texan_in_China

Texan_in_China

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cert Level:Expert
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:50 AM

I with the Goddess on the warmer water temps! This would be a dream trip for me, and if we go in 2009, I can start saving now!!! Put me on the interested list.

This is one of the reasons we are going to start planning early...people can save up money, get time off from work, use ff miles etc.

Thank you all for your help in the planning.

#17 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:52 PM

Today I saw an incredible video on the Maldives. The dive op is http://www.manthiriliveaboard.com/

Saw the Stan Waterman video.

They were recommending September-November timing. Apparently there are huge schools of Manta Rays during that timeframe. Rates are running $340 pp per night for 2009 bookings.

#18 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:45 PM

A few years ago I went on a 10 day liveaboard around south Male atoll. It was without question the best diving I have ever done. The custom there is to have two boats, the first for accommodation, food, and dive gear, the other for compressor and tanks. During meals the compressor boat is taken a mile away and the tanks filled, inaudible to the guests.

The dives were all in strong currents and warm water, with many dives on "ergs" (underwater summits that don't come to the surface). Care is sometimes needed to avoid being swept off the end of the erg.

This was the only area where I have lost count of big animals underwater. I recall on one dive seeing 7 huge loggerheads, with four working in pairs and the others singly. They were busy feeding and didn't mind us coming right up to them. I also recall a dive where the divers were essentially in a crocodile of buddy pairs, with me and my buddy at the rear. A huge oceanic whitetip swam in from the side and joined the crocodile, just in front of us and behind my friends who never suspected it was there, even though it was only 20 feet behind them. It stayed there for maybe two minutes before swimming off. On many dives I saw 20,30 or even more big sharks - white tips, black tips, hammerheads, tigers, etc.

A most exhilarating area to dive, and one I certainly intend returning to. From what I know of it (a close friend ran a dive center there for a couple of years) I'd strongly recommend a liveaboard over an island-based holiday, though island holidays are idyllic and ideal for a honeymoon.

When considering how to get there don't forget that the Brits like to go there and there are charter flights from London via Dubai to Male.

#19 EASY

EASY

On a roll now.....

• Premier Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

Consider me extremely interested!

#20 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:41 PM

Today I saw an incredible video on the Maldives. The dive op is http://www.manthiriliveaboard.com/

They were recommending September-November timing. Apparently there are huge schools of Manta Rays during that timeframe. Rates are running $340 pp per night for 2009 bookings.

...not to be a party pooper, but does anyone want to put some real-world dollar figures on this trip ?

$ 340 per night for 10 nights (I'm assuming nobody's gonna do this trip, given the airfare costs, for a 5 day trip) $ 3,400.00
basic tip @ 15% : $ 510.00
airfare : $ 2500 - $ 3000 ??? (and this doesn't figure in what fuel prices might be by 2009)

...OK, so far, I'm up to $ 7,000 or so...and it doesn't count the universe of additional assorted trip expenses (taxis/overweight bags/NITROX/hotels/meals/etc)

#21 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,703 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:05 AM

...not to be a party pooper, but does anyone want to put some real-world dollar figures on this trip ?

$ 340 per night for 10 nights (I'm assuming nobody's gonna do this trip, given the airfare costs, for a 5 day trip) $ 3,400.00
airfare : $ 2500 - $ 3000 ??? (and this doesn't figure in what fuel prices might be by 2009)

...OK, so far, I'm up to $ 7,000 or so...and it doesn't count the universe of additional assorted trip expenses (taxis/overweight bags/NITROX/hotels/meals/etc)

No it won't be that high. At least not at the prices I'm looking at. However it won't be cheap either. More along the lines of our Galapagos, Wakatobi and Egypt trips...4-5k.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#22 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:00 AM

They were quoting prices yesterday of about $5k including airfare on Singapore Air. That didn't include tips or nitrox.

#23 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:20 PM

I am definately up for this trip - and can offer bedspace for 6 ( a few more on blow up beds) if anayone wants/needs to do a stop over in UAE and to help cut down on costs.
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#24 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

I have a co-worker that just did a trip a few months ago on the Manthiri. He said it was amazing and definitely worth it. They did about 32 dives during the whole trip. I'm still waiting on the video footage.

:cool1:

#25 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

Interesting, Kelly S was just talking about this today...

I had planned a trip several years ago and figured it best with tow locations ... since you're over there...
Like Sipidan or Maylaysia or where ever...
Posting to get on the list, interested, but with the hassels of todays travels... we'll see...
thanks...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#26 Kuraman

Kuraman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Cert Level:IDC Staff Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Over 1000 now, quit logging and quit counting

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:55 AM

Kmala,
I would love to go back to the Mladives. I did a 9 day trip there a few years ago (7 day liveaboard). Trust me, Liveaboard is the only way to go. You get 3 dives around each of the islands of the atoll every day and move at night. The trip I was on was during "shoulder season", the weather was great, and beside myself everyone else on the boat was an instructor at resorts around the Mladives. They said the good thing about the resorts was you could "get away from the water" (not far, because the islands aren't bery big. The bad this was there were only 3-4 dive sites per island, and ou could only do the closest surrounding Islands, so it was very boring. I did the southern route, we saw manta often, and 2 whale sharks, so if you decide to go, COUNT ME IN,

Kuraman
Formerly known as "DixieDiver25" but changed for a nice donation to SingleDivers.com. Kuraman means 'Turtle Man".

#27 Kuraman

Kuraman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Cert Level:IDC Staff Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Over 1000 now, quit logging and quit counting

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:08 AM

Low season in the Maldives is May 1- Oct 31 for most operators, I went the last week of Oct. The cost during low season is about 70% of high season rates
Formerly known as "DixieDiver25" but changed for a nice donation to SingleDivers.com. Kuraman means 'Turtle Man".

#28 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:14 PM

I would be interested.
Rosa

#29 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:00 PM

I would be interested depending on when. I was looking at flights etc and actually from Portland Oregon, the flights are not all that bad.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#30 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:53 PM

I am still very interested! glad a few more are too! For flights, check Emirates (via Dubai) and Quatar (via Doha). There is a direct flight to Male from both.
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users