• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2010 PLANNING THREAD: Thailand

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#16 a_fl_mermaid

a_fl_mermaid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:OW. AOW, Nitrox, Night diver, underw. hunter, equip spec.
  • Logged Dives:too many to count, but recently only a few in 2007, some in the Florida keys and 4 days in Utila.

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:26 AM

You won't have to twist my arm! I'm already saving my pennies!

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,699 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:15 AM

I would be interested in a combo trip.

By combo do you mean girls and guys or do you mean two different countries or do you mean part land based and part liveaboard?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#18 Margarita

Margarita

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:168

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:54 PM

I would be very interested in Thailand. It sounds like a liveaboard is the way to go. I would also be interested in some land based stuff. Angkor Wat in Cambodia is on my must be there list. If I were in that part of the world I would probably wrap that in.
Be happy for this moment. This moment...is your life.
Omar Khayyam

#19 CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:69

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

I would be very interested in Thailand. It sounds like a liveaboard is the way to go. I would also be interested in some land based stuff. Angkor Wat in Cambodia is on my must be there list. If I were in that part of the world I would probably wrap that in.

I'm with you on that one Margarita!

#20 Margarita

Margarita

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:14 PM

I'm with you on that one Margarita!

Excellent!!!!!!!!
Omar Khayyam

#21 Quero

Quero

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor--I mostly dive where I live and work--SE Asia.
  • Logged Dives:Well, as an instructor, that number is very high, but counting strictly fun dives (pretty much all dives are fun, but I mean ones for which I'm not working), about 750.

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:28 PM

Did you know that Thailand has its own version of Angkor? It's Thailand's ancient capital city, and is called Ayutthaya (pronounced ah-YOU-tya). It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You can see what it's like here. I've been to both, and quite honestly prefer the Thai version. Less overrun by tourists, more ruined and not as restored as Angkor. More manageable size. Less expensive.

Q.
Come dive with me in Thailand!

#22 diverb0b

diverb0b

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Cert Level:INSTRUCTOR TRAINER
  • Logged Dives:7000 +

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:55 AM

I might be interested in going especially to get my island paradise from Quero :dance: :birthday: :dance: :birthday: :birthday: :(
It will all be a memory tomorrow
I BE DIVING

#23 Quero

Quero

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Logged Dives:Well, as an instructor, that number is very high, but counting strictly fun dives (pretty much all dives are fun, but I mean ones for which I'm not working), about 750.

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:11 AM

I might be interested in going especially to get my island paradise from Quero :dance: :birthday: :dance: :birthday: :birthday: :(

Just let me know when and I'll evict the current tenants. (Those ants haven't been paying their rent, and anyway they HATE it when I turn on the hose to top up the little puddle that surrounds the island, so it's high time they found another place to live.)

#24 Margarita

Margarita

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:27 PM

Did you know that Thailand has its own version of Angkor? It's Thailand's ancient capital city, and is called Ayutthaya (pronounced ah-YOU-tya). It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You can see what it's like here. I've been to both, and quite honestly prefer the Thai version. Less overrun by tourists, more ruined and not as restored as Angkor. More manageable size. Less expensive.

Q.

Just beautiful. :teeth:

Sure looks like it warrants a visit. I'd still probably want to go to Angkor. I've got a thing for ruins. What can I say? :cool1:

Margaret
Omar Khayyam

#25 Quero

Quero

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

Q.

Sure looks like it warrants a visit. I'd still probably want to go to Angkor. I've got a thing for ruins. What can I say? :cool1:

Margaret

Since you have a "thing" for ruins and won't be able to resist the lure of Angkor....

I always tell my clients who are going to Angkor to make time to also go to the Bung Mealea temple ruins. It's not in the Angkor complex, but to my mind is much more interesting. The movie Two Brothers was filmed there, and the photography is stunning. I saw the film and just knew I had to visit the site! In order to make the movie, the production company had to de-mine the area (you still see warning signs just off the pathway leading to the ruins), and also to build wooden walkways that they could roll the big film camera rigs onto. It all makes it more accessible, yet you can crawl down among the fallen blocks and wander around the other areas, too.

#26 diverdeb

diverdeb

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:12 PM

Q.

Sure looks like it warrants a visit. I'd still probably want to go to Angkor. I've got a thing for ruins. What can I say? :teeth:

Margaret

Since you have a "thing" for ruins and won't be able to resist the lure of Angkor....

I always tell my clients who are going to Angkor to make time to also go to the Bung Mealea temple ruins. It's not in the Angkor complex, but to my mind is much more interesting. The movie Two Brothers was filmed there, and the photography is stunning. I saw the film and just knew I had to visit the site! In order to make the movie, the production company had to de-mine the area (you still see warning signs just off the pathway leading to the ruins), and also to build wooden walkways that they could roll the big film camera rigs onto. It all makes it more accessible, yet you can crawl down among the fallen blocks and wander around the other areas, too.

WOW! :cool1: I would love to do that trip - I'm afraid I would need 2 months to do it right though.
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#27 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:48 AM

Any tour portion would depend on the total amount of time in country. When I broached this with Quero last year I had envisioned at least 10 days for the trip simply because of the distances involved. However, I know that does not work for everyone. Would be a great way to spend the day before flying out. :teeth:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#28 Quero

Quero

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:08 AM

Any tour portion would depend on the total amount of time in country. When I broached this with Quero last year I had envisioned at least 10 days for the trip simply because of the distances involved. However, I know that does not work for everyone. Would be a great way to spend the day before flying out. :teeth:

Ummm. Angkor is in Cambodia. You fly there.

I have other ideas for the non-diving day. Lots of ideas.

One activity EVERYBODY likes is a sea kayaking trip to the interior of karst islands in Phang Nga Bay. You get in through tunnel-like sea caves and wind up in shallow lagoons inside the islands. These lagoons have steep, cliff-like walls and mangrove stands in them, along with characteristic fauna. I just love the little mudskippers, and we often see monkeys, too.

The thing with Phuket is that it's not a place of great historical ruins or famous temples or royal residences. It's nature, predominantly. So I send people to experience it.

#29 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:09 AM

I would be interested in this trip. However, I would need to know the specifics such as dates, costs etc pretty soon to be able to plan on it.

I would definetly want to do add ons for a trip like this.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#30 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

Ummm. Angkor is in Cambodia. You fly there.

Doh...

Well, of course I knew that... I was just checking to see if YOU knew that... :thankyou:

:birthday:

:P
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users