• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2010 PLANNING THREAD: Thailand

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31 Margarita

Margarita

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:168

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:44 PM

Ummm. Angkor is in Cambodia. You fly there.

Doh...

Well, of course I knew that... I was just checking to see if YOU knew that... :cool1:

:wacko:

:cool1:

Too funny!!!!!!!!!!!! Was that Doh a Homer Simpson Doh, or just a regular Doh? Inquiring minds.................

The sea kayaking that Quero mentions sounds fantastic I'm also a naturalist at heart. I vote for moving this trip toward a really truly planning stage. Kamala, did you hear that?
Be happy for this moment. This moment...is your life.
Omar Khayyam

#32 Travelgal

Travelgal

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:236

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:30 PM

This is a trip I had planned to do this year but plans fell apart with other obligations I took on but I would love to do it next year. I would want a definitely extended trip to do lots of sight seeing.........maybe at least 3 weeks!
Never make someone a priority in your life who has only made you an option in theirs!

#33 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:42 AM

Too funny!!!!!!!!!!!! Was that Doh a Homer Simpson Doh, or just a regular Doh? Inquiring minds.................

I'll never tell...

Posted Image
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#34 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:58 AM

I'm interested also.
Have spent several years in "The Land of Smiles" at different times and love Thailand.... figuring 2-3 weeks or so are needed...

Quero, I'd like to send a PM regarding basic Retirement info, like how the "Expats" find living over there in your area... cheaply etc... and still enjoy it.. not living like a 'Faraang'...

Thanks...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#35 Kuraman

Kuraman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Cert Level:IDC Staff Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Over 1000 now, quit logging and quit counting

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:17 AM

Would love to join on this trip in 2009 too. I have been to Thailand diving many times. The best diving in my humble opinion is a liveaboard trip to the Similans, Richelieu Rock. There is shore and day diving in and around Phuket and Pattaya, and the 2 day trip to Kho Phi Phi is a nice trip if the weather and vis is good. (I have been when you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, and when vis was 50M. I will come no matter what is decided, but for most to come from the other side of the world, and not do the Similans is a crime. World class diving, manta, whale sharks and even had a dive with dlophins there.

Count me in, airfare from KL is only $140 USD.
Formerly known as "DixieDiver25" but changed for a nice donation to SingleDivers.com. Kuraman means 'Turtle Man".

#36 Quero

Quero

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor--I mostly dive where I live and work--SE Asia.
  • Logged Dives:Well, as an instructor, that number is very high, but counting strictly fun dives (pretty much all dives are fun, but I mean ones for which I'm not working), about 750.

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:27 AM

I'm interested also.
Have spent several years in "The Land of Smiles" at different times and love Thailand.... figuring 2-3 weeks or so are needed...

Quero, I'd like to send a PM regarding basic Retirement info, like how the "Expats" find living over there in your area... cheaply etc... and still enjoy it.. not living like a 'Faraang'...

Thanks...

Great to hear you'd like to come back to dive with our group!

And sure, I'll be glad to share my experiences. But I have to say, I don't live like a typical Thai, or even like a low-income expat (as do many scuba instructors here). There are ways and ways to live. I've chosen to live pretty well, but this is now HOME for me: all my money is here, tied up in my businesses and my house, and I'm not retired. While my choices may not be what you are envisioning, I do have many colleagues and friends here who live in ways that sound like what you are aiming at, so it is completely doable. I can easily hook you up with an expat online community here that will be able to give you tons of insight.

I'll be watching for your PM.
Come dive with me in Thailand!

#37 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:42 AM

I'm interested also.

Thanks...

And sure, I'll be glad to share my experiences. But I have to say, I don't live like a typical Thai, or even like a low-income expat (as do many scuba instructors here). There are ways and ways to live. I've chosen to live pretty well, but this is now HOME for me: all my money is here, tied up in my businesses and my house, and I'm not retired. While my choices may not be what you are envisioning, I do have many colleagues and friends here who live in ways that sound like what you are aiming at, so it is completely doable. I can easily hook you up with an expat online community here that will be able to give you tons of insight.

Thanks much Quero, I believe you gave me what I was initially looking for in the pm.
Good luck for you, it sounds like a dream...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#38 Lady Liz

Lady Liz

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Board Status:do not delete any message
  • Cert Level:Advanced & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:40 AM

I would be very interested in the range jan-feb...hate that canadian winter...and if you can add a week visiting Vietnam it would be super!!!
Liz
Formerly 'Liz' but wow 'Lady Liz' thanks to Stephane & Galapagos!

#39 Quero

Quero

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Logged Dives:Well, as an instructor, that number is very high, but counting strictly fun dives (pretty much all dives are fun, but I mean ones for which I'm not working), about 750.

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:52 AM

I'm interested also.

Thanks...

Thanks much Quero, I believe you gave me what I was initially looking for in the pm.
Good luck for you, it sounds like a dream...

Well, I think so :birthday:

I should probably mention that there is no way I could live like this in the US. I simply wouldn't be able to afford it, and while my home here is nice, it's modest compared to those of many, even most, long-stay expats who are still working. I'm pretty sure a good number of the SD members have homes (even condos) in the US that are bigger, fancier, more high-tech (like high def tv's with surrond sound, or sprinkler systems, or whatever); and lots of SD members probably drive cooler cars. But in terms of comparisons with the way most Thais live (a two room concrete-block hut with the entire family riding on one scooter simultaneously), my lifestyle is very nice indeed. It all depends on your yardstick, so to speak. So while I can live pretty well here in relation to Thais, I would be hard pressed to live as well in the US, in relation to Americans. Even with the US dollar in the toilet, a modest amount will buy a lot more here than there.

Edited by Quero, 12 June 2008 - 09:14 AM.

#40 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,696 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:20 PM

Hey everyone...the good news is 2008 is basically done...still have to decide if we are doing a Dec trip or not but other than that...its DONE! :cheerleader:

So now I can start work on 2009 and this trip is EARLY in 2009 so its a priority!

I had the priviledge of meeting Quero in Bonaire and even better working with her so I'm excited to be planning this great trip with her! She has already been working on it behind the scenes and we just need some guidance on what people want to do.

Do you want to do the main part of the trip as say 7-10 days and then others can add extra days or weeks depending on what/where they want to go? We could use a building block concept with the first week being the main pkg and then add a second week add-on and then a 3rd week add-on. If we are lucky we can do all the best things yet build it so you can add as you desire or vacation/money permits.

Or we can just build a reasonable 12 day-ish trip and let you do whatever else you want.

While you are thinking about how much time you want the trip to be and what structure you want us to try and accommodate...Quero and I will start working earnestly when I get back from Belize. :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#41 Loves to Scuba

Loves to Scuba

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:39 PM

I am definitely interested in a trip to Thailand in February '09 timeframe. Hear Andaman sea coast, Phuket are incredible, but not sure of dive options. Please post any information available and include me on trip info!!

Changes in latitude are always GOOD!
Loves to Scuba aka Phyllis
Loves to Scuba
aka Phyllis

#42 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,696 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:34 PM

Update:

Quero and I have been trading emails...now that we are BOTH home at our computers its my turn to play catch up so we can get this planned.

My hope is we can acheive a wonderful trip that is a good value and economically priced for our members and yet accommodates the needs of our suppliers as well.

Certainly this is a trick that is getting harder and harder to accomplish these days...

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#43 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:05 PM

Is there anything new on this trip? I am looking at Thailand next spring either way. I would prefer to go with the SD group but will go anyway if the trip does not work out.

J
Sea Turtle advocate!

#44 Quero

Quero

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

I'm working on it for Wreck Wench, but she's quite tied up these days with trips, moving, family, and so on, so she hasn't been able to sit quietly and mull through the options I've suggested in order to decide what is best for all of you wonderful SDers. As soon as WW has made her decision, I'll check for trip date availability from the boat she selects, and she'll let everybody know.

At the moment, we're thinking of a liveaboard with some additional daytrip dives, but it will depend on the boat itinerary. In any case, our goal is a week of diving and a day or two of eco-tours. For those who arrive early or stay on longer, I'll work with you to meet your objectives for your time in Thailand.

While I can't provide details until WW has given me further instructions, I'm happy to answer general questions.

Jim, I do hope the SD trip works out for you! I am here for whatever information you need.

Edited by Quero, 02 September 2008 - 06:00 PM.

#45 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:42 AM

Thanks Quero. If I am going to fly that distance then maxing out the dive times would work best for me. Something like 8-9 days of diving and the last day sight-seeing and off-gassing. Two weeks might be more than the average person can do, but after travelling for 32 hours to get there, a week is just not long enough. Maybe an optional add-on at the end or beginning?

My 2 psi...
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users