• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

new dive computer

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 maxdvr

maxdvr

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:s.s.i. centry diver/rescue diver.. padi divemaster
  • Logged Dives:142 at last count

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:08 AM

let me start by saying hello to all...ive been away for some time now im looking for a new tech com... i hope i get get some insite...

here are some of the ones im considering:
aladin tec2 g
uwatec's smart tec
oceanic atom 2.0
oceanic vt3 or maybe a cochran.. i need something that will atleast do 2 gases as my smart com console will already handle nitrox...just not sure i need 2 coms underwater.... or just get a 3 gas com... aany input from all you "smarter than me " people would make my day... thanks
todd
Posted Image
if your not living on the edge...your takin up to much space

landlocked by misfortune

"Kindness to others is the rent we pay for our time on Earth". - Muhammad Ali

#2 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

What kind of diving are going to be doing?
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#3 maxdvr

maxdvr

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

What kind of diving are going to be doing?

im gettin more into deeper diving in the cold up here... no trimix as of yet... but nitrox more and more and more wreck diving as time allows... i guess that means more deco diving so im really looking for a top notch com... ive had great luck with my smart com to date but as it is a hosed com i cant switch gases...
Posted Image

landlocked by misfortune

#4 diverdeb

diverdeb

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:24 PM

You might want to look at a VR3 for gas switching and if you're going to do trimix in the future. Just another option.
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#5 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:16 PM

Maybe a Cochran
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#6 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:07 PM

maxdvr,
I would look into com companies that will still be around in 15+ years so you can get service and support for it.

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#7 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:24 PM

...I'm not a dive computer expert...but Cochrans have a lot of upgrade potential via software...some of the computers you've listed 'max' out pretty early and can't grow with you to expand their capabilities as you expand yours. Of course, these 'tech' computers can be pricey, especially if you buy two for backup......Kamala can likely hook you up if you're interested in a Cochran, as SD has a partnership with them.

Karl

#8 Scuba_Dad

Scuba_Dad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

let me start by saying hello to all...ive been away for some time now im looking for a new tech com... i hope i get get some insite...

aladin tec2 g
uwatec's smart tec
oceanic atom 2.0
oceanic vt3 or maybe a cochran.. i need something that will atleast do 2 gases as my smart com console will already handle nitrox...just not sure i need 2 coms underwater.... or just get a 3 gas com... aany input from all you "smarter than me " people would make my day... thanks
todd

I have the Aladin Tec and the Smart Tec.

My original Aladin Tec failed within 6 months. The LDS sent it back... and we tried to get a 2G as a replacement, but they sent me another Aladin Tec. Now, it's about 2 years old, and I can't switch Nitrox mixtures between dives unless I let it reset itself.

I love the capabilities of my Smart Tec, but... I killed 2 transmitters in just over a year. I've had my current transmitter for almost 2 years now, and it's working fine. Now, I can't change Nitrox settings until it's completely dry.

I guess Uwatec computer and I don't get along very well.

Al
If you're bored diving, then you quit learning...

#9 DivinDave

DivinDave

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Cert Level:Closed circuit rebreather, full trimix and cave.
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:03 AM

aladin tec2 g
uwatec's smart tec
oceanic atom 2.0
todd

Sounds like your ready to have sum fun diving..!! way cool. Two of the most important considerations when i look into decompression computers is the decompression model it uses for its algorithm and user interface (can you read and operate it while you are dealing with narcosis).

Algorithm - there are many different decompression models out there - Hamilton Kenyon Model (DCAP), 16 compartment Buhlman, Hamilton Kenyon Bubble Model (HKBM), Yount Hoffman Tiny Bubble Model, and USN Workman to name a few. - ha ha.. not making these names up.!! Each of these models treat the decompression differently. Everything from deep stops to tissue density are all considered, and depending on the model, treated differently. Best that you find a computer that uses the Algorithm that treats your body the best. For instance, if i dive the USN Workman model on a decompression dive, i will most likely get bent (been there). My body type, condition, age, etc needs the HKBM and i will not dive a computer that is not running that algorithm or something similar.

Interface - if you are planning on diving deep or getting into decompression (and no trimix) you will be dealing with nitrogen narcosis. It is manageable, however if you have issues reading your dive computer, or programing it, you do not want to be diving that computer. Most multi gas computers have contacts or two buttons. Computer designers and programmers program using patterns. The logic used to assign functions to the buttons needs to fit your logic and be intuitive for you.

Most tech dive computers will do multi gas, switching on the fly, allow you to program underwater, and offer safety factors. So all things equal, I look for Algorithm, Interface and then price. The Cochran is a great no nonsense very safe automatic switch multi gas computer. I also like the VR3 (or VR2) and the new DiveRite. I would suggest that you strongly consider using a trimix computer or purchase one that is upgradeable. I would also suggest diving with two computers for technical dives. Should one fail on a decompression dive, the second computer is a GREAT thing to have.!! (although, you could just switch to dive tables. But in order to used tables, you will need a timing device, and if your going to wear that, you might as well just have a second computer..!)

The other computer that is a MUST for tech diving, is a PC or Laptop..! there is a variety of decompression dive planning software out there. I use the Nautilus Dive Planer to generate my backup tables. But in general the computer programs are invaluable in planning your dives, AND you can compare (and save) different decompression models for the same dive!! (thats very cool - yes i'm a bit of a dive nerd..!)

One last thing (and arguably the most important thing) i would suggest if you have not already done it ~ get training like Advanced Nitrox and Extended Range then Decompression Procedures. If your planning underwater gas switching, its important that you develop the gas management techniques (habits) correctly and under the guidance of an experienced instructor.

Hope that helps to answer your question.... or at least give you more to munch on. :cool1:
ttyl
:cool1:
David

Edited by DivinDave, 28 March 2008 - 01:14 PM.

"I'd rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed..."

#10 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:29 PM

I have a Tec 2G, but I use it in guage mode for most of my dives. I can switch it to computer mode if I want but I just cut my tables and do the dive. IMO I'd save the money (Cochrans and VR3s are crazy expensive) and go with a wrist mounted, NITROX computer that can be switched into guage mode. Now with the extra cash you can take more advanced training (if you want) or do more dives. A computer in guage mode will support all of your dives, plus keep you from shelling out lots of money on Cochran/VR3 updates. That is unless you want to jump on a dive boat and 'impress' the other divers with a $1500 super dive computer.

#11 maxdvr

maxdvr

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:19 PM

I have a Tec 2G, but I use it in guage mode for most of my dives. I can switch it to computer mode if I want but I just cut my tables and do the dive. IMO I'd save the money (Cochrans and VR3s are crazy expensive) and go with a wrist mounted, NITROX computer that can be switched into guage mode. Now with the extra cash you can take more advanced training (if you want) or do more dives. A computer in guage mode will support all of your dives, plus keep you from shelling out lots of money on Cochran/VR3 updates. That is unless you want to jump on a dive boat and 'impress' the other divers with a $1500 super dive computer.

is the tec 2 g air intagrated and do i need to be... if so i like the looks of the smart tec
Posted Image

landlocked by misfortune

#12 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:27 PM

The Tec 2G isn't air integrated, but thats what the pressure guage is for. I've never been too fond of the transmitter idea--to me it seems like a failure point and an extra expense that's not needed.

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:27 AM

Hey Max...great to hear from you...we've missed you. ScubaFanatic is right...you should consider the Cochrans.. aside from great 2 or 3 gas capability they have LARGE numbers, are easy to use, durable and do auto gas switches based upon either depth or time or both. And you can get a great deal via our SD partnership with them. OTWDiver will help you with that.

I am at the BTS Consumer Diver show so can't elaborate but will when I get back. :cheerleader:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:00 AM

I like my Atom 2.0. Having done my 2nd trip with it, I think the air integration is great and the wireless reduced the weight and drag on my console, which is now down to just an SPG that I can keep in a BC pocket.

#15 sudsymark

sudsymark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Cert Level:Certified as teenager, SSI DiveCon and Scuba Ranger Instructor
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

I am many of the instructors at the LDS all use Cochrans because of their durability and the ability to upgrade. Mine has grown wonderfuly as my experiences have. Also I watch the instructors switch easily between OW classes, tech classes and personal diving and are turning out to be very versital.
In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we underdstand; and we will only understand what we are taught. -Baba Dioum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users