• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Check out this story!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CowboyDiver

CowboyDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:4500

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:37 PM

I found this story on Fox News and I was inpressed!!!

Now what can we do?

:wakawaka: :P :) :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Wounded Marine Uses Special Prosthetic Leg to Scuba Dive
Monday, April 07, 2008

AP/Florida Keys News Bureau

April 7: Jeremy Stengel, a 22-year-old Marine who lost his left leg as a result of a combat injury in Iraq goes scuba diving for the first time.

KEY LARGO, Fla. — A 22-year-old Marine, who lost his leg after combat injury in Iraq, used a special prosthesis Monday to scuba dive in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. Jeremy Stengel of Waterford, Wisc., is part of a group of 14 soldiers with war-related injuries participating in Warrior Dive through Tuesday. The event is organized by the International Association for Handicapped Divers in conjunction with a Key Largo dive shop and other area businesses.
Stengel said the water leg prosthesis is more waterproof than the one he uses on land and features an artificial foot that can be extended so a dive fin can be used as normal. "This was my first day really diving, seeing all the sea life." said Stengel. "It was amazing." Stengel lost his leg in February 2007 while on a sweep for improvised explosive devices.

#2 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:43 PM

I never get enough of stories like this.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#3 diverb0b

diverb0b

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Cert Level:INSTRUCTOR TRAINER
  • Logged Dives:7000 +

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:11 AM

Great story!! :) :diver: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :P :wakawaka:
It will all be a memory tomorrow
I BE DIVING

#4 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:33 AM

Thank you for the wonderful story. I seem to think about the ones that are killed, but have not really thought about the men that are injured in this way. I am thankful this young man is one that is not letting his injury stop his life. I don't think I would do as well in that situation.

God Bless our men in Uniform!!!! :welcome:
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#5 CowboyDiver

CowboyDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:09 PM

Thank you for the wonderful story. I seem to think about the ones that are killed, but have not really thought about the men that are injured in this way. I am thankful this young man is one that is not letting his injury stop his life. I don't think I would do as well in that situation.

God Bless our men in Uniform!!!! :)

I was thinking that we as SD's could help develop a program for the returning solders’ for the future! Any one with me?

#6 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for sharing the story. During the DUI DOG Days event at Blue Water Park this weekend there was a guy in line ahead of me with a prosthesis on one of his legs. I never saw him dive, but I was impressed to see him out there testing out a drysuit. It just shows that where there is a will there is a way.
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:50 PM

Hey CowboyDiver....your timing is impeccible! We have been talking since last year about supporting Wounded Vets and our Bahamas trip group raised OVER 4K in pledges for that aim. We have partnered with a couple of oranizations...most recently DiveHeart.org and we are going to do handicapped diver training in Bonaire during our Single's Week AND we are going to offer once-in-a-lifetime training for those interested in becoming HSA dive buddies $50 includes materials etc. and $100 for instructors. This training is normally 5-10 times this amount.

I would hope that we would even have the GOAL of becoming a dive buddy organization for wounded soldiers, disabled and handicapped divers.

Why not? We are usually looking for a buddy? So are they. We know what its like to be the 'odd man/woman out or 3rd wheel'...and so do they. And we love to dive and so will they. The real thing they will be missing is DIVE BUDDIES...not the desire to dive nor the ability.

And hopefully WE can be there for them.

Wanna know something really cool I learned? Its not about strength...its about technique! That means that women can just as easily be a great dive buddy to a disabled diver as a guy. :)

So is anyone with me???

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 dolphin lover

dolphin lover

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

Hey CowboyDiver....your timing is impeccible! We have been talking since last year about supporting Wounded Vets and our Bahamas trip group raised OVER 4K in pledges for that aim. We have partnered with a couple of oranizations...most recently DiveHeart.org and we are going to do handicapped diver training in Bonaire during our Single's Week AND we are going to offer once-in-a-lifetime training for those interested in becoming HSA dive buddies $50 includes materials etc. and $100 for instructors. This training is normally 5-10 times this amount.

I would hope that we would even have the GOAL of becoming a dive buddy organization for wounded soldiers, disabled and handicapped divers.

Why not? We are usually looking for a buddy? So are they. We know what its like to be the 'odd man/woman out or 3rd wheel'...and so do they. And we love to dive and so will they. The real thing they will be missing is DIVE BUDDIES...not the desire to dive nor the ability.

And hopefully WE can be there for them.

Wanna know something really cool I learned? Its not about strength...its about technique! That means that women can just as easily be a great dive buddy to a disabled diver as a guy. :)

So is anyone with me???

Kamala,

Let me know what I can do to help. :wakawaka: I am friends with several dive ops in the South Florida area and would love to help plan something. I really wish I was going with you guys in Bonaire :tears: and could get buddy certified, but hopefully next time. Keep me posted. :wakawaka:

#9 CowboyDiver

CowboyDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:41 PM

:wakawaka: Ok, then how about having a “wounded warrior” diving program and find some sponsors/agencies that would give training packs, equipment, airline, hotels, ect. That would be needed! I have trained 5 divers that were physically challenged and they love the freedom that diving gives them. So, let us fee them!!! Who is with me?????

#10 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:46 AM

:wakawaka: Ok, then how about having a “wounded warrior” diving program and find some sponsors/agencies that would give training packs, equipment, airline, hotels, ect. That would be needed! I have trained 5 divers that were physically challenged and they love the freedom that diving gives them. So, let us fee them!!! Who is with me?????

Set it up, I'll help teach.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#11 KeithT4U

KeithT4U

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water with over 20 dives in variety of locations, mucky lakes to FL reefs
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:38 AM

I will do anything I can to help. Let me know and I will be there.

Keith
If at first you don't suceed.....don't try sky diving.
Women should always think beauty over brains since men can see much further than they can think. :)

#12 CowboyDiver

CowboyDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:22 PM

I was thinking about a large event next year! what do you think about a place and sponcers?

#13 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:12 AM

Awesome idea folks! I'm not an instructor, but if there's any other way I can help out, count me in!

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#14 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:41 AM

This is great story! Thanks much for posting and THANKS to all our service personel!! :teeth:
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users