• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Extra, Extra, read all about it!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:54 AM

Well, the cascading crisis of the devalued dollar, surging energy needs in Asia, oil companies having merged and closed less productive refineries and speculators rushing their money out of real estate and into commodities, all has led to a perfect storm. The question is how many of our airlines will survive.

When it comes to the airlines, its no longer an us versus them situation. There are many airlines out of business today that looked solvent (but shaky) last fall. So, if they go as far as asking me to step on a scale and pay per pound surcharge for me and my lugagage, well so be it. As long as they are still flying and doing the great job they generally do.

No, its not that we won't be able to get to these dive destinations. Its just that one of the four airlines will be gone. Another of the four will have to drop the route since they just can't make money on it. And the other two will be able to double or triple the fare because of "supply and demand".

So for now, shipping the first 50lbs of luggage with me for $15 sounds like a deal. Sorry folks, the old days are gone.
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#17 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:45 AM

Where is that line in the sand? When then will $15 not be enough?

I cannot imagine nor can I speculate on what will be next, suffice to say, its gonna cost more tomorrow than it does today!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#18 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:53 AM

I agree with much of what you've written, up to this point:

So for now, shipping the first 50lbs of luggage with me for $15 sounds like a deal.

IMO, it's only a deal IF the airlines start getting that luggage to the destination with you--something the airlines have an increasingly abysmal record doing as time has gone by.

PPM

#19 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:04 AM

The funny one is that most of the US mail(including some UPS, FedEx, DHL) and shipments go via the airlines so it will still end up on a plane. oh the irony.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#20 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:21 AM

So much for there being space in the overhead bins ever again. I look forward to the delays when the people unlucky enough to board last argue over having to gate check their "carry-ons" that are the size of small children.

Especially when the put their bags in the first class bins and then go to the back of the plane for their seats. Then when the first class passengers get on there is not place for their bags. Personally, I think they have this backwards. The airlines should be charging for the carryon's that would lower the amount of carryons and most likely improve departure times.

First Class generally boards first and should get to fill up their overheads then

nice in theory but not always the way it works. I have flown first class on hundreds of trips and generally I wait until most of the plane is boarded so that I am not sitting there while the hoards of people go stomping by banging into you with their bags and sticking their butts in your face while they are waiting for someone in isle 26 to stuff all of their carryons into an overhead.
Sea Turtle advocate!

#21 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

Check out this URL link the next time you plan to fly on American Airlines:

http://www.dallasnew...n1.45e93cc.html
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#22 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

This is great!!!! It will now cost and additional $80 to take luggage with you on any trip.
Did anyone read the exceptions list? If not let me share.

The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a bag provided the bag is within the weight allowance:

<snip>

AAnytimeŽ Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets, MileSAAver(SM) or AAnytime First and Business Class AAdvantage award tickets
First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in

It might be worth the price of a first class ticket. :o
I wonder how many travelers will be looking for loopholes.
Glad to see that active duty military are not being charged.

Luckily I travel mostly on miles anyway. Safe for the moment!!

Edited by ev780, 23 May 2008 - 08:40 AM.

"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users