• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Extra, Extra, read all about it!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:34 AM

Get ready for the summer diving season everybody. Fort Worth, Texas American airlines announces plan to charge $15 for first checked piece of luggage. If they're the first, others are going to follow!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#2 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

Get ready for the summer diving season everybody. Fort Worth, Texas American airlines announces plan to charge $15 for first checked piece of luggage. If they're the first, others are going to follow!!

I heard the same report on Boston Radio, not sure about whole story.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#3 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:51 AM

Confirmed report. See link.
http://www.aa.com/ap...romotionContent
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#4 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:27 AM

So much for there being space in the overhead bins ever again. I look forward to the delays when the people unlucky enough to board last argue over having to gate check their "carry-ons" that are the size of small children.

#5 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:20 PM

So much for there being space in the overhead bins ever again. I look forward to the delays when the people unlucky enough to board last argue over having to gate check their "carry-ons" that are the size of small children.

Especially when the put their bags in the first class bins and then go to the back of the plane for their seats. Then when the first class passengers get on there is not place for their bags. Personally, I think they have this backwards. The airlines should be charging for the carryon's that would lower the amount of carryons and most likely improve departure times.
Sea Turtle advocate!

#6 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:58 PM

Especially when the put their bags in the first class bins and then go to the back of the plane for their seats. Then when the first class passengers get on there is not place for their bags. Personally, I think they have this backwards. The airlines should be charging for the carryon's that would lower the amount of carryons and most likely improve departure times.

First Class generally boards first and should get to fill up their overheads then
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#7 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

This is great!!!! It will now cost and additional $80 to take luggage with you on any trip.
Did anyone read the exceptions list? If not let me share.

The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a bag provided the bag is within the weight allowance:

For the first checked bag, customers who buy a ticket before June 15, 2008, or who fly before June 15, 2008
For the second checked bag, customers who purchased a ticket before May 12, 2008
Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada
Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection®
Customers traveling on government or military fares
Military passengers on active duty
AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members
oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
AAnytime® Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets, MileSAAver(SM) or AAnytime First and Business Class AAdvantage award tickets
First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in
AAirpass travel

It might be worth the price of a first class ticket. :teeth:
I wonder how many travelers will be looking for loopholes.
Glad to see that active duty military are not being charged.

Edited by gis_gal, 21 May 2008 - 01:34 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,725 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

The one that jumped at me is:

Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada

So most of us should be ok for now.

Again as I have said before...they are all fighting to not raise ticket prices but these are all temporary stop gap measures unless fuel prices go down.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:11 PM

The one that jumped at me is:

So most of us should be ok for now.

Again as I have said before...they are all fighting to not raise ticket prices but these are all temporary stop gap measures unless fuel prices go down.

Except for those of us on any of the US based trips in the Carolinas, Florida or Texas. Thank god I have my premium level on United still. Its certainly paying off during times like these. And of course, there is still Southwest airlines, who hasn't even put in the 2nd bag charge thus far.

So far, Delta has announced they will not be following suit on the primary bag.

And I always wondered with these charges how gate checks would work. Am I going to get a bill later?

#10 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

A reporters view on countermeasures of $15 fee.
http://www.msnbc.msn...61262&GT1=43001
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#11 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:11 PM

Well american has instead of playing follow the leader with the other legacy carriers (CO, DL, UA) in the race to the bottom, now have become the leader in the race. American has just become the US version of Ryanair in Europe. Then with this i wonder if we cant get the baggage claim limits raised so that the airlines have to be responsible for what they carry instead of dodging responsibility like they do now.

This isnt a stop gap measure this will be permanent as airlines have yet to remove or lower fees once there inplace. Plus remember that the airlines get a good premium for hauling the mail and it pays better per Cu ft then the passenger cabin.

this should bring a fair amount of business to southwest.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#12 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:14 PM

A reporters view on countermeasures of $15 fee.
http://www.msnbc.msn...61262&GT1=43001

If the airlines want to charge fees but not improve service for getting your luggage from here to there, deny them the fee and pay it to someone with a track record for good point-to-point pickup and delivery.

Traveling domestically? Box it and send to yourself at your destination using UPS or FedEx, either air or ground (depending on your travel itinerary). Return it the same way to your home base at the end of the trip. You can track the shipment using their online web sites, so you know where the items are supposed to be from point-to-point; plus, you can insure the shipment for it's correct value in case of loss.

My family has used this system for years. All it takes is a bit of preplanning for both ends of the trip.

If travelling overseas, check into one of the luggage handling firms like Luggage Club to see if they can service (and pick up from) your final destination.

Neither TSA nor the airlines seem willing to take responsibility for luggage anymore--particularly loss/theft of same. It's becoming a more preferable option to go the direct shipping route despite higher costs, which soon may be offset by these newer imposed fees.

PPM

Edited by PlatypusMan, 21 May 2008 - 08:15 PM.

#13 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:57 PM

Well american has instead of playing follow the leader with the other legacy carriers (CO, DL, UA) in the race to the bottom, now have become the leader in the race. American has just become the US version of Ryanair in Europe. Then with this i wonder if we cant get the baggage claim limits raised so that the airlines have to be responsible for what they carry instead of dodging responsibility like they do now.

This isnt a stop gap measure this will be permanent as airlines have yet to remove or lower fees once there inplace. Plus remember that the airlines get a good premium for hauling the mail and it pays better per Cu ft then the passenger cabin.

this should bring a fair amount of business to southwest.

SW is a cattle car and every time I've flown with them, I've been delayed

and the last time I attended a business class, the main objective is to make money. If you want to blame someone, blame the oil companies, the weak dollar, the US government.

Instead of critisizing the airlines, ask instead why oil is $130 a barrel?? And why is the dollar so devalued globally??

#14 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:03 PM

PPM

you arent joking with the service level on the Domestic carriers as what I witnessed this past weekend would have gotten a flight stewdess/attendent etc would have gotten fired IE sitting on the arm rest of a elites seat to schmooze while ignoring the rest of the cabin (when this particular passengers drink was never less then half) what have been trying to get there attention for a drink for 20 minutes.

If the domestic carriers looked at British Air, Air France, Emirates, Singapore air they would see what service should be and not the disgrace it is now. Im still wondering if its even worth writing another poor customer service email to the airlines.

But this is what the airlines deserve for seeking the bottom of the barrel (so to speak) once a year traveler. They have the right to make money but when the execs take huge bonuses and dont give back to those that saved the airline, i dont have muych sympathy.

FG

Its real easy to figure out but that goes to politics in a hurry and against the TOS. As for SW The flights have been full for me but SW still manages to make a profit and the service is alot better (with less fees as well)

Edited by Scubatooth, 21 May 2008 - 09:08 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#15 techintime

techintime

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Cert Level:Master diver, TDI Deco diver and adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:24 PM

If you want to blame someone, blame the oil companies, the weak dollar, the US government.

Instead of critisizing the airlines, ask instead why oil is $130 a barrel?? And why is the dollar so devalued globally??
[/quote]

My two cents...and I'll apologize ahead of time for treading close to the third rail of politics. No names and no political parties mentioned, just Economics-101, so hopefully I'm not touching that third rail. Concerning Oil Companies...the key word is "company". Companies can't exist without profit..government controlled profit leads to inefficient state-run companies or worse, they leave the US. Oil is $130 per barrel for the simple two-variable equation of demand divided by supply...namely global demand is rising and we (the US) don't control the supply...the oil-exporting nations do, most of which don't like us and won't listen to our pleading to increase output. With that basic equation fuel prices will go up and it is not going to stop until supply increases substantially. No more complex reason than that. The secondary effect is that just about everything else will go up in price too because almost everything in a modern economy requires fuel to make it and/or transport it. That includes fuel for dive boats too. We (the US) could increase supply (and bring down prices) if we had the willpower to go and get the oil that is sitting there waiting in abundance, in the ground in the Continental US, off our shores and in a single, postage-sized part of the baren waists of Alaska where even the eskimos are in favor of drilling. All of which can be extracted without damaging the environment due to modern eco-friendly methods. Unleash the US oil companies and prices will come down. Besides, for anyone who has gone diving off of an oil rig, they actually help the ecosystem by providing artificial structure and make great dive sites. And oil rigs and drilling sites are less likely to have a spill than the supertankers that bring the stuff from the middle east. I say the more oil rigs the better for us divers.

I'll duck from the arrows now, but hey we are all divers and I never could resist a spirited, friendly debate. That's how we learn.
Techintime

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users