• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Airlines Cut flights to the Caribbean

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25263245

#2 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:56 PM

....yeah, I fear this is just a prelude to major ugliness unfolding in the travel industry.....I'm reading some very serious reports / dire predictions and am fearful of how things will ultimately shake out...one ominous fact is the realization that the airlines purchase fuel via long-term contracts, and have been somewhat shielded from fuel prices thus far, so the price hikes/route cancellations to date don't even begin to really reflect the effect of fuel prices on fares......these effects will filter into prices in the coming months and could well have a catastrophic effect on prices/travel. I'm already lowering my sights with respect to my dive plans for 2009....I'm looking at trips fairly close to home, so that when airfares drastically increase, I can still absorb the prices, however painfully.

Karl

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

Experts say that 76cents of every dollar in the travel industry are direct fuel costs. :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:52 AM

....yeah, I fear this is just a prelude to major ugliness unfolding in the travel industry.....I'm reading some very serious reports / dire predictions and am fearful of how things will ultimately shake out...one ominous fact is the realization that the airlines purchase fuel via long-term contracts, and have been somewhat shielded from fuel prices thus far, so the price hikes/route cancellations to date don't even begin to really reflect the effect of fuel prices on fares......these effects will filter into prices in the coming months and could well have a catastrophic effect on prices/travel. I'm already lowering my sights with respect to my dive plans for 2009....I'm looking at trips fairly close to home, so that when airfares drastically increase, I can still absorb the prices, however painfully.

Karl

I think its a double whammy, the higher costs for fewer flights which makes the travel less convenient. I know for me looking at the Curacao trip vs my LDS trip to Cozumel at the same time. Curacao flight costs twice a much for a 15 hour flight vs 3 hours to Cozy. Makes booking the former a real challenge.

Or do you hop to Florida and take a boat, which has still stayed relatively cheap so far.

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:12 PM

I think its a double whammy, the higher costs for fewer flights which makes the travel less convenient. I know for me looking at the Curacao trip vs my LDS trip to Cozumel at the same time. Curacao flight costs twice a much for a 15 hour flight vs 3 hours to Cozy. Makes booking the former a real challenge.

Or do you hop to Florida and take a boat, which has still stayed relatively cheap so far.

Yep...its going to be ugly for all the foreseeable future. Right after announcing our Single's Week in Curacao AA cut its flights in half to the island.

I hope you can still make it with us.... -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:14 PM

...well, I've only recently given any serious thought to my 2009 dive trip plans, but, to keep it real on pricing, my very preliminary 'plans' are spending a week on JULIET in 05/09 diving Puerto Rico (actually the Mona island area)......and then some combination of Flower Gardens trips and/or Dry Tortugas on SPREE......the FG trips are road trips for me, so no airfare worries there...and the other destinations are nearby Texas so as to reduce my exposure to outrageous airfares. I can't even imagine what airfare will be running in future to the far-flung corners of the world......spending $ 5,000 + on airfare to the Red Sea or Wakatobi or whatever AIN'T happening for me !

#7 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

I think the airlines will start doing sale fares again. But, the capacity cut will make those fares higher than we are used to for the past few years.

So, shopping will be even more important and useful!

#8 H20 Bug

H20 Bug

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:DiveControlSpecial Cert

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

American Airlines just announced a "Caribbean and Mexico Sale". You have to book by July 31st and travel dates are Sept 2nd to Dec 10th. For me from SFO the fares look reasonable. Of course some of the routing is not the best, but we can't have everything :cheerleader:

Bug

I think the airlines will start doing sale fares again. But, the capacity cut will make those fares higher than we are used to for the past few years.

So, shopping will be even more important and useful!

Any time spent in, on, around or underwater adds days to your life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users