• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Wife dies on Auzzie Reef, husband charged with murder

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Bubbles

Bubbles

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:17 PM

The incident occurred in 2003.

Now, in 2008, an indictment has been handed down in Australia.

Extradition theater will now be convened in the US over this charge.

Anyone want to start a pool as to if or when this man EVER gets extradited to Oz to face the charge?

PPM

Or if they can find him? They say he is MIA...

He is alive and well here in the Birmingham area. They just gave the latest update here on the local news, and had an interview with his lawyer. Of course the lawyer claims his client is innocent of all charges!

Edited by Bubbles, 20 June 2008 - 04:18 PM.

"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#17 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:05 AM

Formal charges have now been filed:

http://hosted.ap.org...EMPLATE=DEFAULT
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#18 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

Well ABC news gave the cause of death this morning, they said he had turned off her "oxygen tank" so he did learn something in rescue class, we shouldn't be on oxygen at 100" :thankyou:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#19 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:04 PM

I really think we should be very careful not to believe what is said in the media, as we all know journalists like to sensationalise and even invent facts to make a good story. The only official document I've read on this was the Coroner's report, and IMO he called for a murder trial simply because there was no clear evidence that the guy hadn't done it. Ergo, there was a case to answer.

I believe on the basis of what I've read that he will NOT be found guilty. Doesn't mean he didn't do it, but that it can't be proven beyond reasonable doubt. In Scotland I'd expect a verdict "not proven", but that's not available in most countries and I believe not in Australia.

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,672 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:50 PM

I really think we should be very careful not to believe what is said in the media, as we all know journalists like to sensationalise and even invent facts to make a good story. The only official document I've read on this was the Coroner's report, and IMO he called for a murder trial simply because there was no clear evidence that the guy hadn't done it. Ergo, there was a case to answer.

I believe on the basis of what I've read that he will NOT be found guilty. Doesn't mean he didn't do it, but that it can't be proven beyond reasonable doubt. In Scotland I'd expect a verdict "not proven", but that's not available in most countries and I believe not in Australia.

Thanks for the insight Peter...other judicial systems work differently than ours and our bias is towards our own. Sadly there may be some sensationalism but it does seem fishy...at least what we know anyway.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#21 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:56 PM

I do agree it looks fishy. But I'm trying not to make assumptions based on journalese.

#22 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:14 PM

Doesn't mean he didn't do it, but that it can't be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

Perhaps, but they don't file charges unless they have a fairly solid case. I will bet the first question for prospective jurors will be "Do you have a c-card?" because they will not want divers on that jury.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,672 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:02 PM

Doesn't mean he didn't do it, but that it can't be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

Perhaps, but they don't file charges unless they have a fairly solid case. I will bet the first question for prospective jurors will be "Do you have a c-card?" because they will not want divers on that jury.

That is the sadest part...those most able to judge will be excluded.

OTOH...Australia is a country of divers so the odds of someone KNOWING about diving even if they are not certified hopefully will be higher!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#24 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:21 PM

I know this has been said elsewhere but to me it's not obvious - why will they not want divers on the jury?

Edited by peterbj7, 22 June 2008 - 10:22 PM.

#25 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:04 AM

I know this has been said elsewhere but to me it's not obvious - why will they not want divers on the jury?

Here is a lawyer's worst nightmare. That lets say on a jury of 12, you have one diver. That diver can then during deliberations would then bring in their own personal experiences that would then influence the votes of the other jurors. The goal of the lawyers is to have the case deliberated strictly on the evidence provided and not based on what biases a diver may bring to this case.

The piece on NBC was interesting in that they said his computer's dive profile was in conflict of his story. If this is truly the case, as a diver it does certainly add doubt to the story told by the husband. Would non divers who have no experience with dive computers view that evidence in the same way? I don't know.

#26 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:56 AM

They may or may not have a diver on the jury. Attorneys (here anyway) only get so many strikes and sometimes (often) they don't get who they want. But whether there are or not, I can guarantee there will be experts who will testify and educate the jury about diving to such an extent they probably will deserve a c-card at the end of the trial anyway. Almost no one in my office dives but me and they've all asked me about it and just from my simple explanations they understand how many holes there are in his story, like how he supposedly blasted to the surface, but his computer showed a VERY leisurely ascent at about twice the recommended ascent time.

We can only hope that justice prevails. Sometimes the system works.
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#27 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:49 AM

The defence lawyers will want non-diver jurors to introduce reasonable doubt in their minds. If you know what methods they teach on a rescue course, then they cannot cast doubt that what he did was the right thing (or not). The prosecution may not want them either for the reasons georoc01 stated. Plus, as diving is such a small community it will be hard to not get someone who has not read one of these threads.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#28 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:27 AM

Anyone from Australia looking at this thread?

If so, can you post how a trial goes on in Australia... for example do attorneys have the capacity to eliminate potential jurors based upon their knowledge about, say, diving, knowing someone that drowned, etc.

#29 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,672 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:42 AM

If so, can you post how a trial goes on in Australia... for example do attorneys have the capacity to eliminate potential jurors based upon their knowledge about, say, diving, knowing someone that drowned, etc.

Great question! Hopefully they don't! If they don't then justice might actually be served!

formerly...

#30 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:46 PM

For that matter does Austrailia use Juries or Judges?
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users