• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Florida Tropical Storm Expected

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:55 AM

We are expecting a near hurricane to cross the Florida Keys today, and then likely to head up the west coast of Florida. The good news is that it is expected to make a turn in such a way as to bring some much needed rain up in Cave Country.

Anyway, the northeast side of the storm is where things typically get the worst, and that is where Southeast Florida, the Miami area, is located. It is possible that the storm will be a Category 1 Hurricane by then, which should not pose any major problems. However, it could knock out power or my cable, which will put me offline until repaired.

Honestly, I don't expect for this storm to amount to anything severe. Some storms more more wind than rain; others more rain than wind. This one is expected to have very heavy rain and moderate winds. So, there is likely going to be flood damage to the local area. Unless this affects utilities, this should not make any significant impact on me because I am on the coast, where there won't be a drainage problem.

Hope to stay online and follow the action during the day. Wish me luck! :cool1:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:50 AM

Best of luck to all our Florida friends! Stay safe.
Posted Image

#3 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:30 AM

Thoughts and prayers to all those in the storms path!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#4 Canuck in Texas

Canuck in Texas

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:41 AM

I am on a rig in the middle of the Gulf. Looks like we will be spared from the worst of the winds. I wish you and everyone in the path luck.

Maurice
Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one else is looking.Posted Image

#5 Scuba_Dad

Scuba_Dad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:32 AM

Looking at the latest track, we're going to get a lot of much needed rain. I sure hope Lake Denton gets a lot. All the docks are out of the water right now. It will be interesting to see Lake Denton on Saturday.

It's windy and rainy outside... schools are closed in Brevard County and I have a day off from work. If I quit playing on the net, I'll get some overdo "honey-do's" done...
If you're bored diving, then you quit learning...

#6 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:13 PM

We got (so far) somewhere around 4 or 14 inches of rain. It depends what tv station you watch.
Really, it was no worse than some rainstorms from "no name" storms. No flooding around here.

Now.... about that 'shallow diver' certification...... the water in a neighbors driveway is about a foot deep; I don't think navigation will be a problem, but the concrete could wear away smooth skin.

Women have been calling me "callous and shallow" for many years.... maybe now I should get a new c-card to prove it!

#7 Scuba_Dad

Scuba_Dad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:24 PM

We got (so far) somewhere around 4 or 14 inches of rain. It depends what tv station you watch.
Really, it was no worse than some rainstorms from "no name" storms. No flooding around here.

Now.... about that 'shallow diver' certification...... the water in a neighbors driveway is about a foot deep; I don't think navigation will be a problem, but the concrete could wear away smooth skin.

Women have been calling me "callous and shallow" for many years.... maybe now I should get a new c-card to prove it!

I just pulled my daughter's car into the driveway. The last squall flooded the street, and if I would have left her car there much longer... it would have definitely been flooded. Water was almost to the door.

Brevard County just announced no school again tomorrow. I wonder if I'll have the day off again tomorrow? That sure would be nice...
If you're bored diving, then you quit learning...

#8 a_fl_mermaid

a_fl_mermaid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:OW. AOW, Nitrox, Night diver, underw. hunter, equip spec.
  • Logged Dives:too many to count, but recently only a few in 2007, some in the Florida keys and 4 days in Utila.

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:07 PM

Well, I got at least 7 incles of rain if the gauge is correct. I can now dive my pond turned lake. I've gained approximately 5 feet of depth. Makes me wonder where all that rain would have gone if I didn't have the pond????

Other than that just alot of wind and a few short power losses!

#9 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:13 PM

I just hope that the rain erases the deficit to Lake Okeechobee, and that the caves of Northern Florida get a much needed refill. The storm is all but passed for Miami. There will be some gusty squalls for another day or so though nothing significant expected.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#10 pmarie

pmarie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:58 PM

I am now getting quite a bit of rain. Just talked to someone down at the south end of Brevard and they had a lot of rain and some flooding. I managed to get my grass cut, Yay! Now hopefully when I have a new batch of standing water it will absorb faster. I am near the St. Johns River so I anticipate that Puzzle lake and Lake Harney will be quite full in the next couple of days as the water that everyone South got starts heading this way. Hope everyone is safe.

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:24 PM

Prayers have been flowing to our Florida Friends and Members....sounds like they have been answered!

Rain is good...Texas has been getting some much needed rain the past few days and a break from the 100+ degree days that while nice send your a/c bill thru the roof (think house up for sale and needing to be cool so potential buyers will stay in it long enough to possibly consider buying it!) :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#12 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:55 AM

...7 incles of rain if the gauge is correct. I can now dive my pond turned lake...

Florida dive-of-the-month in Loxahatchee tomorrow !

Wait.... are there alligators in that pond ?

#13 a_fl_mermaid

a_fl_mermaid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:OW. AOW, Nitrox, Night diver, underw. hunter, equip spec.
  • Logged Dives:too many to count, but recently only a few in 2007, some in the Florida keys and 4 days in Utila.

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:39 PM

...7 incles of rain if the gauge is correct. I can now dive my pond turned lake...

Florida dive-of-the-month in Loxahatchee tomorrow !

Wait.... are there alligators in that pond ?

None that'll bother you Racer! The hole in the fence is only about 4 inches in diameter! :birthday:

Watch out for my dogs though! Rommy has a mean bite! :cheerleader:

Holly

#14 Stephanie

Stephanie

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:29

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:18 PM

Hey all! I'm in Jax and we have been getting hit and miss storms. Fay is supposed to make her apperance tomorrow around 2, but she is still down around Cape Canaveral right now and moving at 7mi/hr. Duval Co schools were closed today and will be closed tomorrow.

#15 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:19 PM

Cave country is getting slammed. Caves will probably be undiveable for several weeks. Storm is walking slowly across the panhandle recharging the aquifer. I bet Georgia wishes they got this instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users