• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Florida Tropical Storm Expected

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:25 PM

I hope it gets to where the caves need it. Even if it takes weeks to clear up after, we need water recharge. :D
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#17 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:37 PM

Well, it looks like Gustav is forecasted to follow the same path as Fay..so stay prepared for round 2.

#18 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:42 PM

Well, it looks like Gustav is forecasted to follow the same path as Fay..so stay prepared for round 2.

Well then, don't go to the Bahamas. I was on a live aboard trying to dive the West End last week while Tropical Storm Fay sat on top of us for 4 straight days. All the good dive sites had 6-8 foot seas, 30-40 knot winds, and enough rain to make you feel like you were diving on the boat deck. Looked just like New Jersey. :cheerleader: We spent our nights in shallow water on the perimeter of the storm, where things were a bit calmer, and then went into the storm to try and dive during the day. Still, we only got in about half the dives we had scheduled, and most were pretty lousy sites (by Bahamas Standards).

After getting run over by Hurricane Dean in Jamaica last year, I've now decided that Aug/Sep is not the time of the year to head south for diving.

Oh well, there's always the next trip.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#19 deeper thoughts

deeper thoughts

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:53 PM

Viz was just starting to clear up too. (Upper Keys)

#20 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:37 PM

No, No, I want to go the Key Largo this weekend!! How am I supposed to go play when we keep getting slammed with rain!

#21 Stephanie

Stephanie

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:29

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:44 PM

GOOD NEWS!! I just looked at the projected path of Gustav and he is supposed to go West.. just barely brush by the tip of Key West by Saturday... YEAH!! It's :thankyou: time!!

#22 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:02 AM

GOOD NEWS!! I just looked at the projected path of Gustav and he is supposed to go West.. just barely brush by the tip of Key West by Saturday... YEAH!! It's :birthday: time!!

Yeah good for florida, as the latest track has it pointed at the TX/LA coast and a possible project landfall date in or on the 3rd annivsary of Katrina making landfall in New Orleans. This track is not so good to me, i have been put on condition yellow for work which means that there is a potential to be deployed to advanced staging location in 48 hours(condition orange = deployment possible within 24 hours, standby for further info. Condition Red page = Live deployment meet at rally point in 3 hours to deploy).

So i have my bags packed(medical, clothes, comm gear(laptop, camera, HAM radio(s)) and sitting in the car just in case. So if i go quiet and dont post for awhile after this storm gets close you know why. I will try and post if i can but cant guarentee anything.

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#23 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:59 AM

GOOD NEWS!! I just looked at the projected path of Gustav and he is supposed to go West.. just barely brush by the tip of Key West by Saturday... YEAH!! It's :birthday: time!!

Yeah good for florida, as the latest track has it pointed at the TX/LA coast and a possible project landfall date in or on the 3rd annivsary of Katrina making landfall in New Orleans. This track is not so good to me, i have been put on condition yellow for work which means that there is a potential to be deployed to advanced staging location in 48 hours(condition orange = deployment possible within 24 hours, standby for further info. Condition Red page = Live deployment meet at rally point in 3 hours to deploy).

So i have my bags packed(medical, clothes, comm gear(laptop, camera, HAM radio(s)) and sitting in the car just in case. So if i go quiet and dont post for awhile after this storm gets close you know why. I will try and post if i can but cant guarentee anything.

Tooth

Stay Safe Tooth if you get the call!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#24 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:31 AM

But have you looked to the east?

Posted Image
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#25 Canuck in Texas

Canuck in Texas

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:52 AM

I got the final decision this morning. I will be staying on the Rig and riding out the storm along with the other 5 guys on my crew. There will be a total of 121 people left onboard. We should have the blow out preventer on deck by midnight. Then start sailing away at less than 6 miles per hour. We are currently 89W 29N (North west corner of the brown area on Rays map) I will update every once in a while the next few days. Time to get everything tied down.

Maurice
Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one else is looking.Posted Image

#26 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

Well they set Condition Red on 3 teams today 2 at 1400 hours and 1 just 45 minutes ago.

I missed the page by literally 30 seconds on the third team that was sent, which stunk because i choose a bad day to kill my cellphone (dont worry i got it replaced today). Anyways I have sent notification to my boss that If he needs someone to call me direct and i can be ready to go in 90 minutes as long as Im less then 100 miles from the central station. Anyways the way its looking they may have to send more people but wont know until closer to time.

Tooth

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#27 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:10 PM

Condition Red has been set.

4th time must be the charm. I will be deployed in the morning to the Gulfcoast. We meet at our central station at 0500 hours, and then head south.

I have been told to be ready to be gone for at min of one week, possibly more, and to have gear for such. Needless to say I am a little nervous but I know what i signed up for when this team was set up. I know im not going to sleep very well tonight so I am tearing down my bags to make sure i havent missed anything, etc. I have pulled some other gear at the request of my bosses (No dive gear).

The only erie thing about this is that this hurricane is projected to hit 3 years and 3 days after katrina and the spread has it anywhere from New Orleans to Freeport

If I am able to get internet access I will post but i cant promise anything. My camera is going with me so i will be taking pictures

Tooth

Edited by Scubatooth, 29 August 2008 - 10:29 PM.

#28 a_fl_mermaid

a_fl_mermaid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:OW. AOW, Nitrox, Night diver, underw. hunter, equip spec.
  • Logged Dives:too many to count, but recently only a few in 2007, some in the Florida keys and 4 days in Utila.

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:17 AM

Keep safe Tooth, we will be thinking and praying for you & all the others in the path!

#29 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:34 AM

Keep safe Tooth, we will be thinking and praying for you & all the others in the path!

;) What she said--prayers your way! Be safe!!

#30 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:42 AM

Be Safe Tooth.

We'll keep you all in our thoughts and prayers.
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users