• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION THREAD... June 20-27, 2009 BONAIRE SINGLES WEEK!

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#16 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:16 PM

is the Adv Nitrox/Deco class $1200? or is that combined with maybe Extended Range too?

#17 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:08 AM

is the Adv Nitrox/Deco class $1200? or is that combined with maybe Extended Range too?

Well, its the DSAT class, not the TDI classes. Advanced Nitrox & Deco Procedures takes you to 130 Ft. DSAT Deep Diver takes you to 165 ft. Extended Range takes you to 180 ft. I believe both programs covers trimix seperately.

I have yet to find someone certified in both that can give me a clear difference between the programs. The more research I do, the more muddled the story becomes.

According to the Divi Flamingo site, they offer Adv Nitrox/Deco for $800. However, I don't know what Bill/OTW Diver is offering the classes for.

#18 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:32 AM

Well, its the DSAT class, not the TDI classes. Advanced Nitrox & Deco Procedures takes you to 130 Ft. DSAT Deep Diver takes you to 165 ft. Extended Range takes you to 180 ft. I believe both programs covers trimix seperately.

the TDI classes take you to 150'; the depths you have listed for the other classes are correct. The biggest difference is the number of dives required by TDI vs DSAT. DSAT requires at least twice as many dives as TDI if not more. And if you're getting both DSAT classes for $1200, then it's probably a pretty good deal. If it's for a single DSAT class, then the price you've quoted above is twice the cost of a single DSAT class in the Dallas area.

I have yet to find someone certified in both that can give me a clear difference between the programs. The more research I do, the more muddled the story becomes.

According to the Divi Flamingo site, they offer Adv Nitrox/Deco for $800. However, I don't know what Bill/OTW Diver is offering the classes for.

Actually, OTWdiver teaches both agencies so he could tell you more about the differences in the certs. AS far as price, my experience with Bill is he's very competitive with other dive shops. Call him and ask for a price!

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:42 AM

the TDI classes take you to 150'; the depths you have listed for the other classes are correct. The biggest difference is the number of dives required by TDI vs DSAT. DSAT requires at least twice as many dives as TDI if not more. And if you're getting both DSAT classes for $1200, then it's probably a pretty good deal. If it's for a single DSAT class, then the price you've quoted above is twice the cost of a single DSAT class in the Dallas area.

Actually, OTWdiver teaches both agencies so he could tell you more about the differences in the certs. AS far as price, my experience with Bill is he's very competitive with other dive shops. Call him and ask for a price!

Thank you Kim. She and a number of others did their homework and did choose OTWDiver for those classes one reason being he is certified to teach both. He also 'walks the walk' and does NUMEROUS technical dives to 300+ feet so has to know his stuff. He also hasn't forgotten how to teach an open water student and can switch literally daily from one level of instruction to another. This is rare.

I am working with him to be on this trip. He will often need to do a great deal of remedial work with divers and this is ONE class you don't just want the card. You want and NEED someone who really knows what they are doing. Many folks are into the tech stuff now and offer it because it was the next 'great thing to do' or even cuz its the 'next great thing to teach'. OTWDiver has been diving tech since way before it was popular. He will also soon be crossed over to NAUI as well. He is serious about his instruction and he will help you fill in any gaps in your previous training so you can accomplish your technical training.

So yes 2 weeks would be a safe option and I'll get pricing for you for that. And we are looking at creating a tech option for the trip that combines the right number of boat and shore dives for the students. This will help to customize the experience for the tech student.

And lastly...since Bill will focus on teachng (at his own expense) he will not be trying to work around the standard package which is why we are going to try and structure it for your needs. He will devote to you what you need as you need it. This is in my opinion one of his more 'priceless' qualities. :D

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#20 DiveGeek

DiveGeek

Special Projects Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Board Status:Getting back into the swing of things
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, IANTD Normoxic Trimix Diver
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:55 AM

So, for those of us who are already Tech certified, will there be the opportunity to do some deep diving? Does the shop have helium, doubles, and deco bottles?
"When you shoot underwater, you have limited time, subject matter that rarely sits still, let alone cooperates, and exposure that changes moment to moment. It's a place where you have to constantly wrangle light, composition, subject and depth, and then find a way to be creative." - Eric Cheng

#21 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:59 AM

So, for those of us who are already Tech certified, will there be the opportunity to do some deep diving? Does the shop have helium, doubles, and deco bottles?

We use another shop on the island for most of the tech stuff i.e. rebreathers etc. I can answer some of your questions but would prefer to get a full answer and reply all at once. Will post soon...

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#22 DiveGeek

DiveGeek

Special Projects Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Board Status:Getting back into the swing of things
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, IANTD Normoxic Trimix Diver
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:06 PM

We use another shop on the island for most of the tech stuff i.e. rebreathers etc. I can answer some of your questions but would prefer to get a full answer and reply all at once. Will post soon...

Either way, sign me up for this one!
"When you shoot underwater, you have limited time, subject matter that rarely sits still, let alone cooperates, and exposure that changes moment to moment. It's a place where you have to constantly wrangle light, composition, subject and depth, and then find a way to be creative." - Eric Cheng

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:25 PM

Either way, sign me up for this one!

Cool! It will be posted soon! kamala

formerly...

#24 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:17 AM

FYI, I found this site on Bonaire wrecks, if anyone is interested..

http://www.aquaexplo..._shipwrecks.htm

#25 scuba_girl05

scuba_girl05

Getting started

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:Not many, hopefully that will change

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:42 AM

hello, i was wondering if i could get some information about this trip. thank you!

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:56 AM

hello, i was wondering if i could get some information about this trip. thank you!

BONAIRE UPDATE:

Hey girl! Welcome! I've been traveling on our last trip so haven't had a chance to finalize all the details for this trip. However I should have it done soon.

Here is what I do know:

1. The price for the base pkg will be the SAME price as last year IF you sign up and deposit in 2008. (That is $1237 d/o or $1704 s/o) If you sign up and deposit in 2009 the price will be $100 more per person regardless of whether s/o or d/o. )

2. To get a feel for what the basic trip will include etc please read the details on the 2008 trip found here: http://www.singlediv...showtopic=14595

3. We will have a tech option for those interested in doing their technical training and/or doing some technical diving.

4. We will allow extra days before the trip and after the trip. We will help you find suitable roommates for these extra days but can't guarantee a same sex roommate or even a roommate at all for any extra days. However most people will be doing extra days so the sooner you sign up the more likely you'll have roomies for any extra days.

5. We will be offering a shorediving ONLY option on this trip rather than just the 'luxury 3 boat dives daily' option we offered last year just in case you prefer this option. And we will offer a 3 day shorediving add-on for the tech students as well as others interested in that add-on. This allows you to enjoy Bonaire to its fullest experience!

6. Once the final details are posted (just like we did in the 2008 posting link above) you'll be allowed to book your spot on this sell out trip. As I mentioned before I will have that done soon. If you want to get your airfare you can now for the dates you want. The pkg dates of June 20-27 will NOT change and the daily rates will be slightly more than the 2008 rates so you know basically how much it will cost. We will have most of the resort so with 70+ spots it won't sell out before the end of 2008 so you have some breathing room to save for deposits and get your air etc.

I hope this helps everyone interested in this trip. Kamala

formerly...

#27 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:32 PM

Any word on Divi post Omar? I heard the ocean front rooms flooded and that they lost one of their boats. I also heard they were looking for volunteers to fan the sand off the coral. Anyone game to head down and help? :teeth:

#28 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:09 AM

Any word on Divi post Omar? I heard the ocean front rooms flooded and that they lost one of their boats. I also heard they were looking for volunteers to fan the sand off the coral. Anyone game to head down and help? :o

OCTOBER UPDATE FROM DEMA ON OMAR:

Omar surprised everyone and caught most of the island off guard. I spoke with the resort and DIVERS actually there at Divi during Omar and here is what they told me.

1. One of the boats did wash up on shore so the Dive Manager did not make DEMA in order to ensure the boat is operational again soon. (I had hoped to finalize a few details for our tech portion of the trip so they will be delayed a bit in light of the current situation.)
2. The resort was able to empty to dive lockers and pull tanks before they were swept into the sea. (This means they will have brand new dive lockers for us.)
3. Some of the rooms took some flooding so they will all be redone in the next few weeks or so in order to be ready for high season.
4. The storm was odd in that it did not do extensive damage to the reef but it did deposit some sand hence the request to have divers help fan it off.
5. The 'wild side of the island' was calm and many divers dove it seeing unimaginable sized sea fans, marine life and basically what Bonaire must of looked like when it was discovered as a diving mecca.

The resort is confident it will have everything back to normal soon and certainly many months before our trip. They see no long term damage to the resort and Larry of Larry's Wildside Diving wants to know who wants to dive with him? If we tell him early we can have the am departure vs the afternoon departure. Just let me know. He takes 10 divers and it can be a bit bouncy but shy of a hurricane...you'll only see this type of diving by earning it! LOL!

formerly...

#29 CJdives

CJdives

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

Hey WW...

Great to see that you've posted details for Bonaire once again, please do put down on the list, as I enjoyed
the trip tremendously last year, meeting all you guys and making fast dive buddy friends of sorts.

By the way, I'm finding it difficult and expensive to fly down there from Miamiland, if any, specially those from the WPB are
that I met last year, find a more direct route or less expensive than the $700+ I've been quoted so far, please...please let me know.

Hey to all in here and I'm looking forward to seeing many of you again and diving as well.

Carlos
If at first you don't succeed...you keep on sucking until you do suck seed. By: Curly of the Three Stooges

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:07 AM

Hey WW...

Great to see that you've posted details for Bonaire once again, please do put down on the list, as I enjoyed
the trip tremendously last year, meeting all you guys and making fast dive buddy friends of sorts.

By the way, I'm finding it difficult and expensive to fly down there from Miamiland, if any, specially those from the WPB are
that I met last year, find a more direct route or less expensive than the $700+ I've been quoted so far, please...please let me know.

Hey to all in here and I'm looking forward to seeing many of you again and diving as well.

Carlos

Hey CJ...the trip is not open just yet...but will be VERY VERY SOON! You will be notified by email as soon as you can officially sign up...but I'll take this as a YES you plan to do so! :wakawaka:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users