• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Why did you do it?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:19 AM

And tech divers, and cave divers, and wreck divers, etc., etc., etc.

I know you all are out there...I was reminded of it last night when someone told me I had essentially already "drank the Koolaid"....

What made you decide to train beyond an advanced open water level? Was it a specific type of diving you wanted to do? Did a change in where you live require a different type of diving? What do/did a more advanced level of diving let you do, or was there a fear or phobia you wanted to overcome?

I was so excited about diving when I first started, but had limited funds so I did one trip and waited another year before I knew I'd be able to afford another trip. I thought perhaps I might dive the (then) Texas lakes and mudholes but barely made it through PADI's Advanced Open Water for several reasons - I was cold in the water, my wetsuit floated my legs like corks, and navigating in near 0 vis freaked me out. I went on another Cozy dive after the course, but was convinced (then) that I was a warm water wuss. Now...well, I'm not so sure... funds are different, I live at a higher altitude, and am thinking about working on those fears. I think I might want to take an altitude specialty, but that would mean learning dry suit (warmth is my FRIEND), and what about those caves and wrecks and things really deep???

So give me some of your thoughts, why'd you do it? What did advanced training let you do or help you overcome?

#2 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:38 AM

Good question.

For me it was mostly a need to refresh and upgrade my skills to meet the conditions we often dive in the northeast.

Up here, it's mostly about wreck diving in relatively deep, dark, cold water. Specialty training in deep, wreck, night, and drysuit skills is important.

I also think its just a good idea to take a training course once in a while, whether you think you need it or not. Many of the advanced courses also revisit and reinforce basic skills too.

Edited by BubbleBoy, 10 September 2008 - 06:43 AM.

BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#3 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:55 AM

I am seriously considering limited vis class, only because that is the only type of local diving available. Still don't understand the purpose of diving if you can't see anything, but I guess the class will teach me "why"! I just need to find a way to dive in between my trips to far-away clear, warm waters.
Posted Image

#4 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:00 AM

I just realized that I didn't know enough to be confident in my abilities. I took my AOW within a few weeks of my OW and followed that up with a Deep Diver course soon after. With training came the confidence. Then I went onto Rescue as I was told it was the best course to take (and it is IMHO). I was not truly comfortable in the water until dive #60 or so. The remainder of my courses were for aspects of diving I wanted to pursue like Wreck, Night, Solo, etc.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:42 AM

I am seriously considering limited vis class, only because that is the only type of local diving available. Still don't understand the purpose of diving if you can't see anything, but I guess the class will teach me "why"! I just need to find a way to dive in between my trips to far-away clear, warm waters.

SEEING is a relative term. Even in low or limited vis you can see the macro (small) stuff. Of course this skill is PERFECT for diving the Cooper River in SC looking for prehistoric shark teeth, fossils and artifacts! ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:56 AM

I never took AOW.

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:58 AM

I never took AOW.

But you did take fundies and other tech classes.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#8 bottomtime

bottomtime

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level: padi safe diver-nitrox -cave---prefer spearfishing
  • Logged Dives:3-400-?

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:05 AM

;) location, springs, n caves
location, rivers, swift n dark
location, north florida
location, saltwater 1 hr east or west
to enjoy,all locations and do it safely

a diver should always be learning as well as ?????

:teeth: :lmao: the babes :bam: :P

#9 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:08 AM

I knew as soon as I started diving, that I wanted to share the sport with others. I was already on my way to my instructor training when I did my check out dives for Open Water. Then through various classes I honed my skills and became a better diver. I learned in low vis and now prefer the warm, clearer waters; but as an instructor in Texas I can't be too picky. :teeth:

Hopefully I am beginning my tech diving some time soon. Why am I doing this? One, I want to concentrate on my skills and two, I want to dive some deeper wrecks.

Even I get scared sometimes. I've called off dives plenty of times. I know what I'm doing under there, I know what to do if something goes wrong. So sometimes I have to psyche myself up, not out of the dive. It's all psychological and some times that's my biggest enemy.

Why I continue? I love it. I love exploring another world and I love watching my students progress from the first pool session through their final checkout dive. It is amazing how a few dives build comfort and confidence in the water.

;)

#10 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:51 AM

True, but Fundies wouldn't even quality for AOW. Basic buoyancy, fin kicks, gas management, air sharing, max depth 30ft.

Adv. Nitrox was a bit different. ;)

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

True, but Fundies wouldn't even quality for AOW. Basic buoyancy, fin kicks, gas management, air sharing, max depth 30ft.

Adv. Nitrox was a bit different. :)

However it is additional training and for many advanced training. I think that was the purpose of her question...why you took add'l and/or advanced training? And I believe in your case it was to dive caves and be a better diver. :respect:

formerly...

#12 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:55 AM

Adv. Nitrox was a bit different. :)

However it is additional training and for many advanced training. I think that was the purpose of her question...why you took add'l and/or advanced training? And I believe in your case it was to dive caves and be a better diver. :respect:

Yep, that's why I asked - what kind of caves/ cave systems are in your area? What did those additional trainings do for your diving and what kinds of environments can you dive now that you couldn't before? Would love names of caves or places you dive too...exploring just what might or might not make me ....go to the DARK side!! :)

#13 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:56 AM

For me, I took my AOW when I did because my gf at the time was doing her OW class and figured I might as well take a class that weekend too. It was kind of an eye opener of how little I knew about diving.

So after that, I decided to finish the specialties off to get more bottom time with my instructor. Added dry suit after freezing in Lake Tahoe in the middle of July.

Then what I really needed to do was get some dives under my belt with an experienced diver. This is where the rent a buddy program with single divers kicked in. Spending a week working on bouyancy and breathing really accelerated my skills. Doing 22 dives in a week on a liveaboard really helped too.

So my goals for this year were to get over 100 dives and do my rescue class. For $50 more with my LDS, I did it as Ultimate rescue, which included the DAN O2 classes, Hazardous Marine Life, and AED course.

While we were in Bonaire this year, we were talking about what our next dream trip would be. Truk came up as the next once in a lifetime trip. We talked about it some more during the North Carolina trip as OTW Diver was teaching his students. Doing online research on this trip, the boat supports tec diving so it just makes sense that this would be the next extension of my training.

So my first step was to get a BP/Wing & doubles. Now once I get that configured and comfortable diving them, the next step will be to take the tec classes prior to the trip in January 2011 (Hopefully!).

#14 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:25 AM

Yep, that's why I asked - what kind of caves/ cave systems are in your area? What did those additional trainings do for your diving and what kinds of environments can you dive now that you couldn't before? Would love names of caves or places you dive too...exploring just what might or might not make me ....go to the DARK side!! :respect:

North Florida is home to the deepest, and most extensive cave systems in the world. The only 2 longer cave systems are in Mexcio, and they run at less than 1/3 the depth. My additional training allowed me to no t suck so bad in the water. I was a terrible diver, and I am marginally better now. Because so much of the local diving is spring/cavern/cave based, it made sense for me to pursue the certs so that I could dive locally, without having to drive past all this stuff to dive OW sites.

Some of the places I dive:

Morrison Springs (OW/Cavern)
Vortex Springs (on very rare occasion) (OW/Cavern/Cave)
Jackson Blue (cavern/cave)
Madison Blue (Cavern/Cave)
Wakulla (Cavern/Cave... DEEP in many instances)
Peacock Springs (OW/Cavern/Cave)
Ginnie Springs (OW/Cavern... Cave onsite but I hate it.)
Manatee Springs (OW, Cavern/Cave)
Oriskany (Worlds largest Aircraft Carrier... ~220ft to the bottom)
Panama City (OW, Wrecks)

All of these sites are 40-120 minutes away from my house.

I would not recommend that anyone pursue overhead or decompression diving. It's dangerous, hugely expensive, and excessively demanding. The unprepared die regularly trying to do these dives and mistakes can cost you big time. If you MUST pursue this type of diving to see the things you want to see, proceed with extreme caution, get the best training you can get, buy the best gear you can afford, and keep your wits about you. Not trying to scare anyone, just offering a dose of reality to those who see this type of training as an "extension" to their OW specialty training. You'll spend more time unlearning the stuff you learned in OW than anything else.

Hard lesson #1: The surface does NOT exist. There is no CESA, there is no ascent to escape trouble. Underwater problems MUST be solved underwater.
Hard lesson #2: There is no such thing as a buddy. There is team, and there is solo. I can count on one hand the solo guys I know who've survived more than 10 years.

I wish I got enjoyment out of the shallow reef dives that most people seem to enjoy. The advantages are numerous.

#15 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:01 PM

For me the decision was easy…I wanted to look at all the cool broken things on the bottom; unfortunately all the wrecks I wanted to dive were beyond my training and experience. Once I decided where I wanted to go with my diving I began to look into classes that would take me there.

I took my AOW, NITROX and rescue but these were not the classes I needed for the diving I wanted to do. Or, more appropriately, the classes didn’t give me the comfort level or any new skills I needed to undertake the kind of diving I wanted to do. There was something lacking.

I began to look into more advanced diving classes and ended up taking a diving fundamentals course that made me really look at and evaluate my then current skill-set and decide how I wanted to proceed. Since then I have take courses to build upon that initial training, but as Perrone alluded to, it’s a long, expensive road. But, in the end there is no other way to go if you want quality training to prepare you for the deeper longer dives where there is no direct exit to the surface.

As for dry suit and scooter training—those courses/training dives were taken once I decided I needed a dry suit to safely complete some of the dives I wanted to hit. But then that’s the gear route and out of the realm of this thread.

Bottom line—you need to personally decide where you want to go with your diving. If you feel pressured to by your buddies to go beyond your comfort level, find a new group of divers—they aren’t safe. But one you decide to pursue the more advanced dives, take it slow and develop your skills. As I said it’s not a race to the finish, but a wonderful journey.

Good luck with whatever path you decide to take.

Vinny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users