• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Why did you do it?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:37 PM

Hey Vinny and Perrone...great posts! :respect:

You have just reinforced several important lessons:

1. Don't pursue the next level of training just because others are or it seems to be the thing to do. ONLY do so if you really want to take on the responsibility.

2. Don't take ANY additional training lightly. Each new level of training requires responsibility and time to master that new level. Taking too many classes too soon only gets you a lot of cards...it does not make you the type of diver you need to be. ONLY a lot of practice WITH the training will do that.

:) both for the great reminders! :)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:18 PM

I keep taking more diving courses because............. I live in southeast Florida. I know that people all over the world wish they could dive 5 miles from home in clear warm water; people all over the world wish they did not have to drive 200 miles to take their diving lessons; so I do it for THEM !

I am in the Dive Master course now. Working with instructors instructing students is very very educational.

Anticipate and provide ! :respect:

#18 bottomtime

bottomtime

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level: padi safe diver-nitrox -cave---prefer spearfishing
  • Logged Dives:3-400-?

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:18 PM

This Is a interesting post and the answers are diverse as they should be, because of the range of skills n divers. I have been lucky to have had the chance to dive w/ a wide group of divers and at times I am reminded that we have to ask the question why?
Why do I want to dive deep,,,,its cold n dark
Why do I want to dive extended range,,,,lotsa time n money training
Why do I want to go in a cave thats dark and look at wet rocks
Why do I want to go in the ocean with a spear n chase fish when a bigger one might look at me and see dinner
Self exam ??? Why?? and if you have a sane answer do it not because its there..
I try to better my skills,,and when I get the chance to dive with others ,,It some times shows me where I need to improve or can help
someone else do better n safer what every I do my main goal is to return safley.
So the next time you want to do more training ask why and is it a wise choice?
I dove with a new friend that I had never dove with before and even though he was Half my age, he showed me what true training and diving skills are
by his natural movement in the water and his master of the basic skills.

In short,,,, adv/ cave/wreck trimix ccr are all interesting

but dive and

MASTER THE BASIC SKILLS

and you will have a natural progression as to where you want to go and how you get there

Me I'm going back and trying remaster the adv /tech/ mega blal bla BASICS SKILLS

good luck n dive safe n often

:) also I really do if for the Babes :respect:

#19 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

I originally got certified because a girlfriend at the time was a diver. Girl long gone and there was a 7 year layoff with no more diving. I took my AOW instead of a refresher course when I wanted to start diving again. Made more sense to actually get something from it than just a refresher that was money gone. Took Rescue because it was built into my DNA and had to be done. Took Nitrox because I had a roommate at the time that was a dive instructor and I got it for free!

Never regreted any class. Any education even if done poorly or by a bad instructor has value somewhere. Even if an example of what not to do.
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#20 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:57 PM

I first took up becoming a YMCA Teaching Assistant so I could help out at the Boy Scout Center where I was first certified. After that, the rest was history.

Rick

:respect:

#21 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:46 AM

Hey Vinny and Perrone...great posts! :birthday:

1. Don't pursue the next level of training just because others are or it seems to be the thing to do. ONLY do so if you really want to take on the responsibility.

2. Don't take ANY additional training lightly. Each new level of training requires responsibility and time to master that new level. Taking too many classes too soon only gets you a lot of cards...it does not make you the type of diver you need to be. ONLY a lot of practice WITH the training will do that.

:birthday: both for the great reminders! :birthday:

I think it depends on what type of classes are you talking about? If you are talking specifically in the move from rec diving to tech diving, I would agree with you, but OTOH, someone taking another rec class, say Fish ID. what exact responsiblity am I picking up? I'll freely admit I am a card collector. It gives me an excuse to dive with an instructor and continue my learning. But there are lots of specialty classes outside of the tech realm where divers can gain experience without necessarily moving into a more dangerous enviroment and in doing so make themselves better divers in the process.

#22 hambergler

hambergler

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:475

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:05 PM

I got certified in 1988, then got advanced in 1989 (after about 15 dives). I laid off diving for about 14 years because motorcycle roadracing was MUCH more exciting (started doing both in 1988). I had an idea that Nitrox would give me more bottom time when I started back in 2004 (computer? weight integrated WHAT? Goofy Gas?). I can't remember why I took Rescue last year, but my Rescue instructor talked me into Divemaster this year and here I am (the initial thought was that going for Master Scuiba Diver would be cool--now she's trying to talk me into Assistant Instructor). I want to get at least a year as a full-fledged Divemaster (and cross over as a Dive-Con) before I think about AI, and get a couple more specialties.
I'm growing older but not up,
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck.
Let those winds of time blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.

#23 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

I took my advanced open water class so I could stretch beyond the simple diving I had been accustomed to and to not be a hot mess underwater when diving! :wakawaka: I learned many different and more effective ways to work a compass. I learned to contend with current, not just in diving but also accounting for it when navigating. Prior to these training dives, I really hadn't been put in the lead position, which to be honest, I find with several divers. If a diver has a friend comfortable in navigating, they rarely volunteer to lead the dive - they just follow and for many dives or years, really have no navigational ability to speak of.

I learned about boats - and not just where the head was. I got to refresh the many different boat exits and entries while gaining confidence. Perhaps many of you (men in particular) don't realize how daunting diving off a boat for women can be. We don't have the upper body strength you do. I was worried I wouldn't have the strength to get back on the boat with all my gear. In the PNW, you carry up the big ladder what you jumped off the boat in. I felt those same nerves the first time I dove doubles off a boat, the "Oh crap, what if I can't get back on!? Everyone will be looking at me!" :wakawaka:

I extended my dive depths with my good friend and dive instructor by my side which was a confidence booster. I really worked on buoyancy. I recalled watching Melanie hover over a huge coral ring, flip inverted with her arms crossed casually in front of her and she exhaled in a head down position into the coral ring. With a slight kick of her fin, she rotated herself looking into crevices of the coral, other divers likely have never seen. Then she inhaled and came back out. I instantly knew that I wanted to look just like that. :teeth:

I can still remember night diving for the first time, the thrill and the terror of it. I certainly knew looking at the black water, there was a shark waiting for me. In fact, I think I recall seeing a ring a teeth representing an open mouth just below the surface of the spot Melanie said I was to enter the water. :wakawaka: :wakawaka: I did the smart thing and offered the gal behind me the polite opportunity to go ahead of me, "Oh no you are ready, you go ahead of me - I don't want to be a bother." I now simply yell "Throw the bony ones in first!" but I still slip quietly into the water... :wakawaka:

I absolutely came out of my training much more confident having contended with new diving circumstance I likely would not have ventured into on my own, lead navigating, diving with current, night diving, and deep diving.

My two most useful specialized certifications have been Fish ID and my Enriched Air certification and my most recent certification that I also thought was well worth the time and well taught was my Altitude Specialty course I just took less than 2 months ago. My most exciting and envelope pushing certification was trimix, but that also describes my instructor who knew just how to challenge me. :teeth:

Definitions of "advanced training" may differ, but to me that is simply a time wasting word game. If any training outside of a diver's original certification course interests him or her, then I would absolutely encourage the diver to seek it out.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:17 AM

GREAT QUESTION HEIDI!!!

I took my advanced class as soon as I FINALLY passed my OW as it was cheaper to pay an instructor to 'train' me than babysit me. (Sadly for him I got the latter for free!) Fortunately by the time I passed my open water on the 3rd try...I was finally getting comfortable in the water and he really didn't need to babysit me much. LOL!! Ok so he did have an extra DM just to help me but I think the guy was sweet on me anyway so hopefully it wasn't too much of a burden. Truth is had I had the chance to hire someone to just mentor me and be my buddy I would of. No one thought to offer such a program and it would have helped me tremendously.

In any event...I took advanced open water SEVERAL times until I was actually good at those skills. Then I waited for a very long time before taking anything else.

Finally I had a near accident in the water and decided I needed to be able to self rescue myself so took Rescue. THAT was a great class but gosh it was tough. And yes I had to take that one twice to really get it.

When I finally decided to do Nitrox I was pretty leary of it. It was still considered 'technical diving' and while it is STILL TECHNICAL diving today (diving ANY mixed gas makes your a techinical diver) it is also widely accepted and people do not realize that they are NOW TECH DIVERS because they are diving "MIX".

Anyway...I took the class to GET MORE BOTTOM TIME diving my favorite wrecks in NC. 8-10 mins on the bottom is NOT enough. I wanted to double that and I was able to with Nitrox. NOW I want to extend that time EVEN MORE and I've done the next level of tech diving (advanced nitrox and deco procedures) so I can now stay longer and offgas faster using a higher % of 02 in a stage/pony bottle while simultaneously starting my SI even though I'm still in the water. This makes diving NC even better or any venue you want to have add'l bottom time and faster offgasing.

Becoming a DM was not by choice. It was a necessity once I realized I was running all these trips! :rolleyes: However I think having almost 10 years of experience under my belt and experiencing EVERY problem imaginable to divers was a great precursor for becoming a DM and has made me I think a better on as a result.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#25 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:23 AM

Hey Vinny and Perrone...great posts! :rolleyes:

:P both for the great reminders! :twist:

I think it depends on what type of classes are you talking about? If you are talking specifically in the move from rec diving to tech diving, I would agree with you, but OTOH, someone taking another rec class, say Fish ID. what exact responsiblity am I picking up? I'll freely admit I am a card collector. It gives me an excuse to dive with an instructor and continue my learning. But there are lots of specialty classes outside of the tech realm where divers can gain experience without necessarily moving into a more dangerous enviroment and in doing so make themselves better divers in the process.

Thanks George! Excallent examplas but many divers do feel that a class that challengest them = a good class to take and it seems merely because its the next class in line or in some cases....to enter the tech realm. Doing so is fine...just do it for the right reasons. And practice what you learn before you jump to new skills too fast.

And I am not against card collecting...just collecting for the sake of collecting. Some of those cards represent a lot of responsibility. Accept it wisely and know your own limits.

formerly...

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:27 AM

Definitions of "advanced training" may differ, but to me that is simply a time wasting word game. If any training outside of a diver's original certification course interests him or her, then I would absolutely encourage the diver to seek it out.

ROCK ON GIRL! Excellent post! :rolleyes:

formerly...

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:35 AM

I learned about boats - and not just where the head was. I got to refresh the many different boat exits and entries while gaining confidence. Perhaps many of you (men in particular) don't realize how daunting diving off a boat for women can be. We don't have the upper body strength you do. I was worried I wouldn't have the strength to get back on the boat with all my gear. In the PNW, you carry up the big ladder what you jumped off the boat in.

She is NOT joking. I was quite nervous about doing my first PNW dives. First off the water is COLD! I had so much more thermal protection on and while I was proficient in my drysuit...I had not dove with it full of thermals before so my bouyancy and weighting etc was VERY OFF!

When I hit the water I got a huge ice cream headache and I thought someone had taken a hammer to my head. I almost aborted but Nicolle who has become 'my Melanie' for cold water PNW diving had already worked so hard to help me get to this point that I knew I would disppoint her and myself. So as I had this internal discussion in my head, I realized the pain had worn off enough to let me put my face in the water again. This time I could keep it there and I entered the absolutely beautiful world of PNW's diving! :P

Now I want to work on my bouyancy like Nicolle described and she has also mastered! :rolleyes: Even after 1500 dives...I still need more training and practice to keep becoming a better diver! :twist:

Oh yes...getting back on that ladder was tough being a girl but with some excellent coaching and no laughing by the awesome crew of Bandito's...I was able to do it better and better each dive!

formerly...

#28 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:00 AM

BE WARNED!
Unknown to many divers, the more you dive, the crystalloid salinity of the sea water permiates your skin and expands the viscosity of the fluid between the cellular walls eventually turning us into GIANT SEA SPONGES! The affected will feel dry and lifeless outside of the realm of the ocean. The GIANT SPONGE hungers for absorption of salt water and knowledge of the ocean for survival. The GIANT SEA SPONGE will not be able to pass by any dive shops without turning in. When not at the ocean the SPONGE will attempt to gather it's collection all things related to getting back underwater, scuba gear, flashlights, equipment, diving certificates, diving trips... until it finds it's way back. The more the water permiates the skin the out-of-water period becomes less tolerated.
To REVERSE this PHENOMENON you must get as far away from the ocean as you possibally can and have a chapparone watch over you. Get rid of all cash that the sponge might use to grow.
Quickly send all cash to:
Damselfish
P.O. Box
Tucson, Az. 000000
For best results all trips near the ocean should be transferred into my name also and sent.

~ Good Luck, I hope you caught it early! ~ D :birthday:
Ain't love a BEACH?

#29 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:10 AM

Thanks everyone for your posts. I certainly can relate to getting back on the boat - the Spree's divemasters can attest to the fact it wasn't easy for me to get back on the boat every time. Thanks to my great buddies there who helped me out!

A couple of questions ... Perrone, I notice you say cave/cavern on some of the places you dive. What is the difference between these two?

PNW divers, how cold is cold... and what amount of thermals do you use? I must be suffering from some of what Damselfish is describing - I know those waters can be cold! (Yet somehow I hear a drysuit calling me!!)

Keep posting...I love to hear why you all keep pursuing the diving passion. :birthday:

#30 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:46 AM

BE WARNED!
Unknown to many divers, the more you dive, the crystalloid salinity of the sea water permiates your skin and expands the viscosity of the fluid between the cellular walls eventually turning us into GIANT SEA SPONGES! The affected will feel dry and lifeless outside of the realm of the ocean. The GIANT SPONGE hungers for absorption of salt water and knowledge of the ocean for survival. The GIANT SEA SPONGE will not be able to pass by any dive shops without turning in. When not at the ocean the SPONGE will attempt to gather it's collection all things related to getting back underwater, scuba gear, flashlights, equipment, diving certificates, diving trips... until it finds it's way back. The more the water permiates the skin the out-of-water period becomes less tolerated.
To REVERSE this PHENOMENON you must get as far away from the ocean as you possibally can and have a chapparone watch over you. Get rid of all cash that the sponge might use to grow.
Quickly send all cash to:
Damselfish
P.O. Box
Tucson, Az. 000000
For best results all trips near the ocean should be transferred into my name also and sent.

~ Good Luck, I hope you caught it early! ~ D :birthday:

:birthday: :birthday: :birthday: The metamorphosis has already begun in all of us!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users