• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Another all-expense paid vacation!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:25 PM

Hi everyone. I haven't really been in touch with anyone lately. I've been a little busy. I'm on my way to Iraq. The good news is that I may have an opportunity to scuba dive before I go. Does anyone within driving distance of Columbus, GA want to dive between Saturday (15 Nov) - Monday (18 Nov)? The dates may flex one way or another or be cancelled altogether. Also, I don't have any gear, not even my Mosquito that I swore I would never leave home without :D . I do have my nitrox card.

Tony

#2 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:16 PM

Wish I could head over and dive with you but I can't do it...

Don't you ever stay home??? :D

Stay safe.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#3 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:23 PM

What the gis_gal said... stay safe. :D

JimG has been around lately and I believe he's somewhere in Georgia. Hopefully he'll see your thread...

#4 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:48 PM

What the gis_gal said... stay safe. :birthday:

JimG has been around lately and I believe he's somewhere in Georgia. Hopefully he'll see your thread...

great idea annasea - I dropped Jim an email. :D

TonyL good to hear from you. We miss you in WA and snuggling with your puppies at GG's house! :D
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#5 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:50 AM

Unfortunately, I am teaching a class all of those days (two, actually - OW over the weekend, and then Refresher on Mon/Tue), and would not be available. Otherwise I would love to try and find a way to dive with someone locally. I know there are a lot of other Georgia-based divers on the board - maybe one of them can go with you.

-JimG
Will DIR for food!

#6 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:40 AM

Thanks for your service and stay safe!!!

:D
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#7 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:19 AM

Tony,

I assume you're at Benning, I'm 30 minutes south in Georgetown, just east of Eufaula AL. I am also presuming your destination is the FL panhandle, i.e. Panama City (PC) area to the closest salty water. Dude, it sucks to say this but the regional weather forecast has the current cold front pushing through with stiff winds (15-20 MPH) starting Saturday. My experience has been the DO's down that way cancel under these conditions, just too lumpy to suit their liability policies (and frankly just good common sense). Do you have some spring diving in mind? Per my last dive club meeting, Morrison had to delay reopening due to vandalism but Vortex is open as usual. I'm not much for fresh water any more, but would be happy to check with some local divers if you are interested. PC is three hours from Benning, and of course our panhandle darling, DiverDeb is only two hours farther west in Pensacola (PNS) and can offer full DO amenities along with a shot at the Mighty "O" (weather permitting of course).

I can loan you some gear since you'd be passing right through here to and from FL. I have a Falcon BC in Large and recently serviced octo along with a few masks and fins. Sorry, no tanks or spare suits but you can rent those at Vortex or PC. (Heck, as a WA diver you probably consider 68F bath water anyway.) :D The number of my preferred DO in PC is 850 230 8006 and they can give you the straight dope on their weekend diving status, I'll also PM Deb to tip her to this thread.

I will await your response before beating the bushes for buddies. In any case Godspeed on your upcoming deployment, and when you spy some sandlocked Squid over there remember we are people too! :D

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#8 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:49 AM

Sorry I can't join you in a dive trip. ALMOST sorry I can't take the all-expense paid vacation as well. Sounds like this is not your first trip - but I do offer a couple of reminders to keep in the front of your mind (from the USMC Rules of Gunfights)

1. Bring a weapon. Preferably, bring at least two weapons. Bring all of your friends who have weapons.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.

3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.

5. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.

7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.

9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

11. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

12. Have a plan.

13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.

14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

16. Don't drop your guard.

17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.

18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.

19. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.

20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

22. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.

23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

24. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a "4."

Navy Rules for Gun fighting:

1. Go to Sea

2. Send the Marines

3. Drink Coffee
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#9 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:26 AM

Hey Tony,

It looks like an "O" dive for this weekend is out. Click HERE for the forecast. I haven't made any firm plans for the weekend yet, but was considering going to the springs either Sat. or Sun. For me that's Vortex or Morrison's. (Morrison's isn't open yet dive_sail_etc.??? Hmmm, is that why that gate we walked around was locked?) :D

The Blue Angels are doing their homecoming show here on Sat. which is always fun, so I may be busy with that on Sat., but I could possibly be coerced into going diving instead. :D
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#10 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:54 AM

1. Go to Sea
2. Send the Marines
3. Drink Coffee

So we broke the code on surviving gunfights; got a problem with that? :D

P.S. We squidleys measure our gun bores in inches. Whole inches.

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#11 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:43 AM

1. Go to Sea
2. Send the Marines
3. Drink Coffee

So we broke the code on surviving gunfights; got a problem with that? :birthday:

P.S. We squidleys measure our gun bores in inches. Whole inches.

With a shorter list of rules to remember, it should be obvious to all why we chose the Navy... but I need to add to the list -

4. Never volunteer for something called ANGLICO when they ask if you'd rather fly a desk :D
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#12 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:05 AM

Capn Jack ~ This isn't Tony's first time out.. He has more experience at this than I care to think about.

I was happy thinking that he was sitting at home.. doing nothing.. staying safe.. Only to learn how wrong I was.
(Not that I am surprised that he is heading back)

Hopefully this trip will be a bit calmer than his last one.

DG ~ We did have some good times at my place didn't we.. diving, eating, midnight margaritas, morning coffee.. :cool1:
Going to have to do them again soon.
My daughter is living at the house..So GG's B&B is still there to take advantage of.. :P
I will warn you the "new manager" is a bit cranky at times...
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:10 PM

Tony great to see you! I too wish I could dive with you...and keep safe but then you know that already! Hugs, kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

Tony,

I assume you're at Benning, I'm 30 minutes south in Georgetown, just east of Eufaula AL. I am also presuming your destination is the FL panhandle, i.e. Panama City (PC) area to the closest salty water. Dude, it sucks to say this but the regional weather forecast has the current cold front pushing through with stiff winds (15-20 MPH) starting Saturday. My experience has been the DO's down that way cancel under these conditions, just too lumpy to suit their liability policies (and frankly just good common sense). Do you have some spring diving in mind? Per my last dive club meeting, Morrison had to delay reopening due to vandalism but Vortex is open as usual. I'm not much for fresh water any more, but would be happy to check with some local divers if you are interested. PC is three hours from Benning, and of course our panhandle darling, DiverDeb is only two hours farther west in Pensacola (PNS) and can offer full DO amenities along with a shot at the Mighty "O" (weather permitting of course).

I can loan you some gear since you'd be passing right through here to and from FL. I have a Falcon BC in Large and recently serviced octo along with a few masks and fins. Sorry, no tanks or spare suits but you can rent those at Vortex or PC. (Heck, as a WA diver you probably consider 68F bath water anyway.) :P The number of my preferred DO in PC is 850 230 8006 and they can give you the straight dope on their weekend diving status, I'll also PM Deb to tip her to this thread.

I will await your response before beating the bushes for buddies. In any case Godspeed on your upcoming deployment, and when you spy some sandlocked Squid over there remember we are people too! :cool1:

JimG, Dive Sail, and Diver Deb,

Thank you for the response. Funny thing - I was out in that storm today and lack of sleep, a small series of shots and the weather got me sick. I probably couldn't dive anyway.

Colleen and Nicolle,

We'll have to dive when I get back. I should have a whole lot of leave when I get back. This will be a short tour (8-9 months) and promises to be my least interesting one yet.

Capn Jack,

I do like those rules. I had seen some but not all.

Tony

#15 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:23 PM

God Bless you son. Nice to add another face to all those we're praying for here. Stay safe over there and rest assured we've got your back on the home front while you are deployed. It'll be my pleasure to dive with you upon your return.

Brad
Signature Slug Suspended as a Gesture of Solemnity and Respect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users