• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

A time for giving thanks...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:39 PM

Yes its that time of year...amid all the hustle and bustle...meals, gifts, parties and a million things to do and get done before the end of the year...a fleeting thought will hit you and you'll pause to give thanks for something in your life. And while it can always be worse...and yes it really can...there is always something to be thankful for and the more we reflect on positive things...the more our thoughts are centered on them....the more we will attract that which we see in our mind's eye.

So what are you thankful for? (That you can share of course!) :wakawaka:

I'll start!

While to some the fact that my home has not sold and I can not complete my move to SC constitutes the 'end of the world' or certainly close to it...in reality, it is not. And while I'm not thrilled to be in limbo for who knows how many more months it will be...the reality is I have chosen the movers and designed the new house I'm building with the proceeds from the sale of this one and I've almost finished going thru all the stuff I just 'moved' to the garage to get it out of way...so now I have nothing to do but wait for the house to sell.

But out of this limbo comes the realization that I have done all I can do and its time to be patient. There are many blessings in being patient and the upside is I now have a luxury I rarely have...I can be in the office getting caught up on normal end of the year projects and tasks AND I can work on how to improve SD for 2009 and the years to come. :wakawaka:

Now THAT truly is a blessing and would not happen if my house had sold and I was trying to close, move, get settled into the new location, set up the new office, start building the house etc. AND try to enjoy the holidays in between! :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:49 PM

I am very thankful for my son, and the rest of my family...I guess. I am also very thankful that I have a stable job right now, and feel awful for all the people who are without work during these hard economic times. Especially my friends and family back in Detroit.

And I am especially thankful for SingleDivers.com!!

#3 damselfish

damselfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

After my recent illness (first time being sick in years), working at the hospital and seeing other peoples illnessess, and hearing of friends with sick family members, I Thank God every day in prayer that my family members, kids, friends and I stay healthy. Without good health, NOTHING else matters!
I hope all of you stay healthy and safe this holiday season! :wakawaka: ~ Damselfish
Ain't love a BEACH?

#4 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:08 PM

I am thankful for my friends, both old and new.
I am thankful that things happen to me, both good and bad, because it means I'm alive and I'm involved.
I am thankful for the roof over my head, the food in the pantry and the job that pays for it all.
And I am very thankful to SD for providing all of us with the connection to each other, during diving and especially during these long surface intervals!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Posted Image

#5 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:28 PM

I have to echo Damselfish in being thankful for my health. After a scare this year with a biopsy that was (thankfully) benign, I am very thankful for both my health and the support of wonderful friends.

I am also so very thankful this year for the time, ability and finances to pursue scuba diving again after so many years of being away from the sport.

And, of course, I am thankful for my family, some close and some far.

#6 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:17 PM

Thankful? How much space does one post have?? :hiya: My list is so long. God has blessed me in so many ways. I have a wonderful daughter that is about to turn 21 and we have a great relationship. I have a decent job, not amazing, but it's a good place to work. I am healthy. I have so, so many friends. I am healthy. I have the opportunities to pursue my passions, diving and working with students/teenagers. I get to dive all year long. I get to dive with some of the best divers in the world and learn from them. I live in a great country and I am free to say what I want, go where I want, do what I want. I have a loving family. Did I mention my friends? Because I think they're really great.

I told you, I could go on and on. Life is good. :thankyou:
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#7 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:41 AM

I am thankful for:

good health.
good friends/family.
getting out of school (with a degree).
getting out of debt.
being still together with my b/f despite the odds.
being so "young" in my late forties
having time and $ to take trips and still be able to save for the future.
having a job to "complain" about (means I'm still workin' -so far!!) :tears:

And most of all:

Having a sense of living life again as opposed to just looking in from the outside. :wakawaka:

I have many other things to give thanks for, and prayers for the health and prosperity of everyone here during these uncertain times. :lmao:

Love you all! :teeth: :teeth:

Edited by Mermaid Lady, 25 November 2008 - 09:26 PM.

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#8 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:12 PM

This is kind of strainge, but do you have friends that get on your nerves?? You feel like your a bad friend to them because you feel this way??

I want to say I am Thankful for my friends that get on my nerves!!! I love them and I know I am loved!! :teeth:
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#9 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:38 PM

This is kind of strainge, but do you have friends that get on your nerves?? You feel like your a bad friend to them because you feel this way??
I want to say I am Thankful for my friends that get on my nerves!!! I love them and I know I am loved!! :wakawaka:

Hmmm... By dumping my old plan and employing your paradigm, my circle of friends expands instantly from nil to millions! Thank you!! :teeth:

Now go away and leave me alone. :teeth: :lmao:

Seriously, you make a poignant and prescient point. I'm grateful for my friends and at this time of year am inspired to renew my pledge to be thoughtful and supportive of them as well.
Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#10 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:47 PM

I want to say I am Thankful for my friends that get on my nerves!!! I love them and I know I am loved!! :wakawaka:

Hmmm... By dumping my old plan and employing your paradigm, my circle of friends expands instantly from nil to millions! Thank you!! :teeth:

Now go away and leave me alone. :teeth: :lmao:

Seriously, you make a poignant and prescient point. I'm grateful for my friends and at this time of year am inspired to renew my pledge to be thoughtful and supportive of them as well.

:tears: Good responce!! Looks like you understand totally!!
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:45 PM

Friendships are relationships and ALL relationships involve responsibility. Therein lies the tricky part...we usually are happy for the other person to be 'responsible' for the friendship but not always as eager to accept our end of the bargain.

And sadly I know I'm not a very good friend more times than not...:teeth:

I'm always told I never have time for my friends because I'm too busy with my website. And that's sad cuz most of my friends are from my website. :lmao:

But I do understand what they mean...I sort of live, breath, eat and sleep SingleDivers.com or my day job which pays my bills so I'm often remiss in being a good friend like I should.

For that I am sorry...but I'm also thankful that most of my friends realize why I struggle in this area.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:46 PM

I want to say I am Thankful for my friends that get on my nerves!!! I love them and I know I am loved!! :teeth:

Now go away and leave me alone. :tears: :wakawaka:

GREAT IDEA!!! We should all do that! :lmao:

formerly...

#13 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

Thanksgiving time has always been sort of different for me over the years, because this time of the year has has a range of ups and downs for me.

This year has been a year of good thanksgiving for me,and looking better in the future.

First off my health has been very good, even though i work around sick people all of the time. Even more importantly is that this month is the 4 anniversary of my last surgery for crohn's and that since this surgery I havent had any complications or major flairs (Thats huge for me) since then.

Then also In the past year i have been able to put 3 years of training to good use. by working as a paramedic in the field by doing limited scene response, and doing transfers of critical patients with more wires and tubes then some car engines. Then as i posted recently I got on a 24 hour shift which will allow me to do more in the coming year. Then the coming year is looking even better because of the additional training opportunities that are being presented in the coming year that will help me to be a better/more knowledgeable/competent medic in the field.

Also with working in the past year i have been able to erase 95% of my debts that I had from school, and I have started rebuilding my savings, so Im thankful for a good well paying job that allows me to take care of my obligations and to take care of myself and those around me.

Finally is Im thankful for my family, and friends (this includes SD) who have helped me to get through the tough times, and good.

The there have been some lows and downsides this year, but they are not of that much consequenceonly really low has been the lack of diving but that will change next year :angel2: because of the good thanksgivings of this year.

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#14 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:55 AM

Well, it has been a long and challenging year, but I am thankful for:

Getting my health back and being able to do the things I want to do;
Being alive, since I recently jumped out of an airplane;
My friends old and new and the ones I have yet to meet;
My family, I don't know what I'd do without them;
My job, even though I don't love it, I can still pay the bills (I have many friends that have recently been laid off);
Having God and Christ back in my life, after being lost for so long;

And most of all being part of SD, such a wonderful group; being able to experience the greatest sport ever, SCUBA diving of course; and getting to go to fabulous places like Wakatobi and next the Galapagos!!!!

Thank you everyone and have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!'

:wakawaka:

#15 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:22 PM

I have held off on this because I do have some thoughts on this I have been trying to put together. Well here goes ...

Many of you who know me know that the last few years have been a struggle for me. The reason I have not gone on as many SD trips as I would have liked has been simple ... I could not afford to go. As it is, it is taking every bit of resources I have just to make it from one month to the next.

However, I realize that in spite of that, I do have it pretty good. For example, when Hurricane Ike hit here back in September, the worse I got out of it was being without electricity for a couple of days. Compared to others, I came very well.

Last week, I caught up with old friend whom I had went to high school with. He and I grew up together, he was a super blues & rock guitarist and had his own band with an excellent following throughout the Houston area, he was making a very good living at it. I learned that he was finally going to get his break, he was getting signed to a recording contract with Sony Records. But fate has dealt him a bad hand, he contracted ALS and has it so bad to the point that he can no longer play the guitar and is confined to a wheelchair. He is six months younger than me. I think about him and stop griping when it gets so hard to climb out of bed some mornings. :birthday:

I can go on some more but what it comes down to is that I am very thankful that I am in decent health and that I have been able to make it through these times. I also have my family and my many friends who I know will come to my aid should I need them. That includes many of you who I know through this site.

Finally, my best wishes go out to all of you, have a Happy Thanksgiving wherever you are.
-Mitch-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users