• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

05a: SOLD OUT! Better Belize-It Baby...May 2-9, 2009

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#91 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:12 PM

That's not strictly true in general here, Sandy, but we can make it so for this trip. The BH dive is generally done in one group surrounded by all the DMs and no operator likes or will usually permit someone to "do their own thing". The general rule is go down with the group or don't go down at all. However, I'll offer my services to accompany anyone who doesn't want to go all the way to 130ft+, and although Amigos del Mar don't usually welcome me on their boats as anything other than a regular punter I'll make sure that this dive is different - if we use Amigos. Kamala might prefer to do the day trip with her new friend Andre...? With his business I can do anything (responsible!) I want.

A point on nitrox. There will be an analyser at the dive center for people to analyse (and then mark) their own tanks, so I don't see where the risk comes in. At least there should be, and if there isn't I'll provide one.

Thanks for the info Peter.

#92 susiq

susiq

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Board Status:Workin' hard in NYC to fund my next dream trip!
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:355

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:05 AM

Shouldn't be a problem getting a little depth on the local reef dives, Suzy. If I remember right, a lot of the channels & canyons are pretty deep up around Ambergris Caye. In fact, my very first ocean dive was with Amigos del Mar in Belize, and they took us to 105' just as a "casual" dive. Could've easily gone deeper on that dive -- at 105' I was drifting over a channel and a huge spotted eagle ray swam underneath us headed up the canyon, and there was easily another 40-50 or so feet to the bottom of that channel. Not the best pic, but it may give you some perspective....

Hi Tammy-- that's a great picture..... imagine that on your first ocean dive! Thanks for your input. Have a great time in Fiji...... I'm envious..... maybe someday it will be my turn..... I'm saving up (I hope!).

S
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever-- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

#93 sparky103

sparky103

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:180

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:40 AM

Shouldn't be a problem getting a little depth on the local reef dives, Suzy. If I remember right, a lot of the channels & canyons are pretty deep up around Ambergris Caye. In fact, my very first ocean dive was with Amigos del Mar in Belize, and they took us to 105' just as a "casual" dive. Could've easily gone deeper on that dive -- at 105' I was drifting over a channel and a huge spotted eagle ray swam underneath us headed up the canyon, and there was easily another 40-50 or so feet to the bottom of that channel. Not the best pic, but it may give you some perspective....

Nice Pic Tammy :thankyou: Rays (and our SD shutterbugs) ROCK :cheerleader:

Jeff
There's a fine line between stubborn and stupid. Pete Dexter

There's hope,  just not for us. Franz Kafka

When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself. jacques-yves cousteau

I rise every morning torn between the desire to save the world, or to savor the world. E B White

In three words I can sum up life: It goes on. Robert Frost

#94 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

I was looking at a back issue of Scuba Diving Magazine, which had the top 10 reasons to go to Belize

http://www.scubadivi...e/Belize_Top_10

One of the things that I thought was interesting was that April-June is whale shark season. Just how far is that from Ambrgis Caye?

#95 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:35 AM

whale shark season. Just how far is that from Ambrgis Caye?

Quite a way, and it's not reachable from AC. You'd need to go to Dangriga or Placencia to get out to the whale sharks, or maybe a little island Thatch Caye Resort that I've been doing some work with.

Occasionally a whale shark can be seen off AC, and I photographed one earlier this year on a regular dive here.

#96 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

Payment Update:

1. George aka georoc01 ww got your deposit of $400 for the Belize trip! :teeth:

#97 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:55 AM

Payment Update:

1. Steve aka h2ofria: Received your payment in full for the trip $628, Round trip flight from/to SanPedro Ambergris Cay $126, and $50.00 for Lunches! :lmao:

Edited by ScubaPunk, 07 January 2009 - 10:42 AM.

#98 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:51 AM

Is anyone else interested in adding lunches to their package?

In case you did not notice, in the first post, there is an option to add lunch onto your package for $10.00 per day, but you need to do it as a group. We have one taker so far for the lunches. Anyone else?

PACKAGES DO NOT INCLUDE:

• Airfare to BZE Belize City, Belize
• Airfare from BZE to SanPedro Ambergris Cay $126 roundtrip (verifying this price but should be correct)
• Food and beverages other than breakfast (Lunch can be added for $10 per day per person but we need to do it as a group)
• Optional Sightseeing Tours in Belize or surrounding area: TBA
• Nitrox upgrade ($100 for the pkg dives payable before the trip) or $10 per tank
• Rental, instruction and retail charges (SD will most likely have an instrctor on this trip so consider doing that cert you've always wanted!)
• Resort and Diving gratuities usually 15% of base pkg (these monies go to the divemasters, boat captains and the boat crew as well as the hotel staff.)
• Trip Insurance is OPTIONAL BUT STRONGLY ENCOURAGED If you miss the Flight to Belize City BZE you should be able to catch a later flight but may have to overnite in Belize City before getting to the island! (see the end of this post for 2 great insurance links)

#99 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:11 AM

I think we need some plan for lunches. Whether its through the resort or not. I am more than willing to pay the $50 extra to get lunch at least on our dive days. It also says the rooms have fridges. So it may be possible that if we don't do the lunch plan to go shop in lieu of afternoon diving on Sunday and then be able to make sandwiches for the remainder of the trip.

The other thing was the Blue Hole Dive I believe it says we need a minimum number of divers to do it. Any idea what that number is? And is lunch included on the 3 tank dive out there?

#100 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

I think we need some plan for lunches. Whether its through the resort or not. I am more than willing to pay the $50 extra to get lunch at least on our dive days. It also says the rooms have fridges. So it may be possible that if we don't do the lunch plan to go shop in lieu of afternoon diving on Sunday and then be able to make sandwiches for the remainder of the trip.

Yes and now we have some people signed up we can decide what to do about this. The easiest and fastes will be to have the resort cater our lunches each day. And it will cost about the same. Since the price of the trip is quite low...an add'l $50 is not much. However as you said some may want to do sandwiches etc from a local grocery store. You'll need to factor in a taxi, cost of food which if shared with others could be less. Otherwise it will probably run almost the same as store pricing on islands are about twice what you'll find in the US.

The other thing was the Blue Hole Dive I believe it says we need a minimum number of divers to do it. Any idea what that number is? And is lunch included on the 3 tank dive out there?

This one is easy....

Those Wanting to Do the Blue Hole need 12 minimum to run a boat $250 per person for 3 tank dive including the $40 marine park fee:

And yes it includes lunch on the boat. I will update the first post to show that.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#101 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:25 PM

Yes and now we have some people signed up we can decide what to do about this. The easiest and fastes will be to have the resort cater our lunches each day. And it will cost about the same. Since the price of the trip is quite low...an add'l $50 is not much. However as you said some may want to do sandwiches etc from a local grocery store. You'll need to factor in a taxi, cost of food which if shared with others could be less. Otherwise it will probably run almost the same as store pricing on islands are about twice what you'll find in the US.

This one is easy....

Those Wanting to Do the Blue Hole need 12 minimum to run a boat $250 per person for 3 tank dive including the $40 marine park fee:

And yes it includes lunch on the boat. I will update the first post to show that.

So basically to do the Blue hole we need to sell out the trip and have everyone agree to go?

#102 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:36 PM

So basically to do the Blue hole we need to sell out the trip and have everyone agree to go?

George, I'm pretty sure the dive op will sell some of those 12 seats to others on the island who want to do the Blue Hole trip......not every dive op on AC goes to the Blue Hole so there are always divers signing up to do that trip with other dive ops that do go.
Posted Image

#103 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

There's a lot of flexibility on what any individual may choose to do, such as buying lunch or going on the BH day trip (or mainland Mayan ruins tours), but if as I suspect you'd rather do these things as a group (it's much more fun doing it with friends!) then go with what's being offered. You're not losing out financially, and in fact lunch is pretty good value. If you want to dive both before and after lunch you won't want to have to go and search for lunch - you won't have time.

#104 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

There's a lot of flexibility on what any individual may choose to do, such as buying lunch or going on the BH day trip (or mainland Mayan ruins tours), but if as I suspect you'd rather do these things as a group (it's much more fun doing it with friends!) then go with what's being offered. You're not losing out financially, and in fact lunch is pretty good value. If you want to dive both before and after lunch you won't want to have to go and search for lunch - you won't have time.

Thanks for the insight Peter...that was my thought in offering the lunch option. Guess I should have just included it and made it EASY! :wakawaka:

As for the Blue Hole option YES we'll need a good portion of our group to go if we want to only stay with our peeps and/or flexibility on what day we go.

But the chances of selling this dive out exclusively to our group is rather slim...unless I can get more spots from the resort. However I won't check that until I've sold these out first. -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#105 susiq

susiq

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Board Status:Workin' hard in NYC to fund my next dream trip!
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:355

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

Hey all: here's a crazy idea/question? Anyone up for coming to Belize a few days early to do a Mayan excursion/cave tubing/ziplining kind of trip? It would be easier from the mainland, then you don't have to go back and forth to AC. But you would probably need to leave your dive gear at a hotel which would be our base camp for the day trip(s).... But I don't know how this would be organized by the resort..... maybe we have to ask and see what they offer or how many extra days and nights (beforehand) we might need....just thinkin' out loud..... I've looked into these things individually but have found them pretty pricey going solo..... not to mention the cost of land transport on the mainland seems pretty high ( or on local buses, which would not be fun with bags of gear...). or choosing from among numerous Mayan sites-- :-D It's a quandary!
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever-- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users