• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

05a: SOLD OUT! Better Belize-It Baby...May 2-9, 2009

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#61 susiq

susiq

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Board Status:Workin' hard in NYC to fund my next dream trip!
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:355

Posted 25 December 2008 - 02:00 PM

Wow, Peter, thanks SO much. You have just answered a number of my questions about how to spend my money and time..... including the one about the need for nitrox. I am certified but find that I haven't often needed it, as i often get cold before my allowable bottom time is finished.... That could be remedied, I'm sure, with warmer wetsuit..(also so as not to be a drag on my buddy and have to come up earlier.) Or one could do nitrox only on certain days and pay ala carte perhaps?

Anyway, as someone who has been a bit sceptical of the Blue Hole's worthiness-- it may just be that I am of the "not-so-sure- what-there-is-to-see that's such a big deal" school for the few minutes I'm down there. Hope those are not incendiary words. But, IMHO, I might just elect to do a regular dive day instead...in any case this overview is a big help in how to think about our dive days, etc. so thanks again. You rock! :D
Susiq

There are perhaps three generic areas usually dived from San Pedro - the 10 mile stretch of the Meso-American barrier reef that is just offshore from the town and its environs, stretching northwards from Hol Chan Marine Reserve; the Blue Hole (inside Lighthouse Atoll) and the associated dives on southern parts of that atoll; and the Elbow and nearby sites at the southern end of Turneffe Atoll.

All other available sites are little dived, including the barrier reef further than say 5 miles north of town, all parts of Turneffe other than the Elbow area, and all parts of Lighthouse Reef on the west side north of the two southern cayes (Half Moon and Long). I have never heard of any diving on the eastern side of Lighthouse (too rough), and the eastern side of Turneffe is rarely dived (also rough).

I have only once dived north Turneffe and it was a fairly forgettable day. I have dived a few spots on the mid-west of Lighthouse and they were excellent.

Despite the reputation you may read in some places, IMO the Elbow is not a particularly great dive area, and doesn't begin to compare with the regular sites on Lighthouse Reef.

I have never heard of anyone diving the southern tip of Lighthouse, though I want to do it as I believe the diving should be superb.

Areas "north" of San Pedro on the barrier reef are a mixed bag. As Kamala said, there's a mixture of absolutely superb sites and areas of endless sand, and as nothing is marked and I don't know anyone who has useful GPS coordinates (or is prepared to release them) it really is pot luck.

You're all going to have five or six days of diving, and I imagine people will want to spend one of those days on the Blue Hole day trip, which includes dives in the Hole itself and on the reef at each of the two southern cayes. That leaves four or five days to fill, and depending on who on the trip has been here before I suggest two of those days be at familiar sites offshore from town. Maybe an afternoon can be spent at the Hol Chan Marine Reserve, but I don't think you'll want to give up a day's diving to go there.

At least two more days can be spent "way up north", exploring virtually undived areas. These will probably be three dive days, to maximise efficiency of use of boat fuel. These may be fairly intensively moderately deep (down to say 80ft for much of the dive), so this is where nitrox will really come into its own. Most people with more than say 20 dives would find that if they use air they run out of allowable bottom time on these dives long before their tanks are empty. Nitrox removes that problem.

I strongly suggest anyone not already nitrox certified to PM me and we can do most of the necessary work on-line. The course is almost entirely theory, and I'll do it for you for free (OK, for a beer or two!). You'll have to pay for the cert, and you'll need to buy a manual and some "slates" at a PADI shop near home. Assuming you study what and how I tell you, we'll need to spend maybe an afternoon once you're here doing what remains - it won't interfere with your diving.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever-- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

#62 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:26 PM

I don't know what's been organised, but there's no need to do all dives on nitrox. I'd say if you do long dives it might be an idea to use nitrox for the second on a two dive day, and probably second and third on a three dive day. I wouldn't use it for the first dive of each day.

The Blue Hole is a very deep dive - you're diving to see the stalagmites standing on a shelf that's at 150ft. You don't have to go to the shelf but most do. There's no bottom below you (there is but it's a long way below) and you've had to swim under an overhang on the way down. Given that it is (of course) the first dive of a three dive day the dive is all over by about 9:30am, and it's pretty gloomy at that time. Viz is normally no more than 30ft. There's nothing coloured down there, but you may see large sharks. People who dived it yesterday saw some Caribbean reef sharks, a few bull sharks, and some saw a single hammerhead. The whole dive is over in around 25 mins. If buoyancy control is automatic for you and your air consumption is controlled you might well enjoy it; if you're not at that stage yet you may find it a bit of an ordeal.

However, the two dives that usually follow are some of the best dives in Belize, so you may have a quandary!

#63 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:31 PM

Peter, I've always wondered if you're allowed to just dive the surrounding reef at the Blue Hole, rather than do a bounce dive within? I mean, if the other 2 dives that day are worth the trip, I'd go and see if they let me dive the ringing reef for my first dive......
Posted Image

#64 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:12 AM

Around the BH the water is shallow, no deeper than 20ft, so a dive there would be pointless. People do snorkel the coral around the rim and report that they enjoy it, though as a non-snorkeller I've never tried it.

If you do go into the Hole, most operators require that you stay with the group or surface - nothing in between. Though other arrangements can be made at least with some operators, and I have taken eg. children on shallower dives into the Hole. Amigos del Mar is the one operator I have never been able to do this with, nor indeed anything outside their "norm".

#65 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:14 AM

I know given its my first dive trip to Belize, that I would like to check out the blue hole.

#66 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:55 AM

FYI - I've been to the Blue Hole of Belize three times and only did the deep dive the first time (You've GOT to do the Blue Hole at least once in your dive life!) I've really enjoyed the shallow dives the next two times! However, the deep dive will be MUCH shorter than the shallow rim dive, and the boat may or may not let you spend the additional time - depending on their schedules/itinerary.
It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

#67 h2ofria

h2ofria

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver
  • Logged Dives:82

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:41 PM

Bottom time is not my issue but air consumption certainly is. At 130 feet I probably would have about five minutes at max depth. At any rate I might be interested in doing the other two dives in that location.
Work is the curse of the diving class!

#68 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:37 PM

Sounds as if you need some advice/training on air consumption, because that's very high. How many dives do you have?

#69 h2ofria

h2ofria

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver
  • Logged Dives:82

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:12 PM

Sounds as if you need some advice/training on air consumption, because that's very high. How many dives do you have?

I have about 60 dives. Lung capacity and physical fitness are not an issue, I run marathons. I have taken a bouancy class which helped alot. I think it is mostly a matter of being more comfortable in the water an having confidence in my abilities. Any helpful advice is always appreciated.
Work is the curse of the diving class!

#70 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:53 AM

Around the BH the water is shallow, no deeper than 20ft, so a dive there would be pointless. People do snorkel the coral around the rim and report that they enjoy it, though as a non-snorkeller I've never tried it.

If you do go into the Hole, most operators require that you stay with the group or surface - nothing in between. Though other arrangements can be made at least with some operators, and I have taken eg. children on shallower dives into the Hole. Amigos del Mar is the one operator I have never been able to do this with, nor indeed anything outside their "norm".

Peter the diving after the blue hole was quite good as I recall and yes it was shallow but full of sharks etc. And YES I agree with Bruce and others...the Blue Hole is a 'must do' at least once site!

And is Lighthouse Reef nearby Peter...there is an exceptional reef nearby that reminds me of an aquarium it is so awesome! :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#71 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:16 AM

I have about 60 dives. Lung capacity and physical fitness are not an issue, I run marathons. I have taken a bouancy class which helped alot. I think it is mostly a matter of being more comfortable in the water an having confidence in my abilities. Any helpful advice is always appreciated.

A good buddy will make all the difference for a dive such as this one. Due to the depth, I too was a little nervous about diving the Blue Hole, but having Kamala as my buddy helped relieve my nerves. She took VERY good care of me, and made sure we decended and ascended very slowly while also keeping me very relaxed.
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#72 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:34 AM

I have about 60 dives. Lung capacity and physical fitness are not an issue, I run marathons. I have taken a bouancy class which helped alot. I think it is mostly a matter of being more comfortable in the water an having confidence in my abilities

Being a marathon runner is probably a bad thing for diving! You're used to gulping in large amounts of air to supply the greatly enhanced need for oxygen when you're running, and of course air there isn't rationed. When you're diving it is, and you need to limit the amount you breathe. Being comfortable is certainly part of it, but without seeing you in the water all I can say is that the breathing techniques required are quite different from those you use on a marathon.

You breathe to fill your lungs, not to take in the oxygen you need, and any diver takes in much more than they need and breathes out most of the oxygen. This is one reason why rebreathers are so much more efficient than open circuit. So long as you've mastered the basics of buoyancy control, and I would hope that after 60 dives you're well on the way to that, there are techniques you can use to reduce the volume you breathe quite considerably. I don't want to post them here, as if adopted by someone whose buoyancy is not well controlled they can lead to problems.

#73 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:46 AM

Peter the diving after the blue hole was quite good as I recall and yes it was shallow but full of sharks etc. And YES I agree with Bruce and others...the Blue Hole is a 'must do' at least once site!

And is Lighthouse Reef nearby Peter...there is an exceptional reef nearby that reminds me of an aquarium it is so awesome! :birthday:

Not sure what you mean by "after the Blue Hole", Kamala. All we do at the end of the BH dive is stay around under the boat for an extended safety stop, then surface. In that immediate area there's a lot of sand with small dead coral outcrops covered in sand - not terribly inspiring.

If you mean the two dives that follow the BH dive then I agree with you wholeheartedly. The one that immediately follows is at the SW corner of Half Moon Caye, in the SE of the atoll, and IMO is absolutely superb. At its best I can think of few dives anywhere in the world that rival it. The final dive, after lunch on HMC, is at the NW corner of Long Caye (to the W of HMC), and is probably the one you're thinking of. It starts out as a wall dive fairly similar to the HMC one, then transitions into a swim over a shallow coral garden, absolutely crammed with static (coral) and dynamic (fish) life. It's not for nothing that it's called the Aquarium.

I'll try to post a map of the atoll, which shows the reef around the edge & the shallow water inside, with a few islands and of course the Blue Hole itself. The atoll is known as Lighthouse, after the lighthouses on islands at north and south - you'll see the old one on HMC. But if I fail to post the map it can be found at
http://ambergriscaye...maps/index.html.

Edited by peterbj7, 27 December 2008 - 09:48 AM.

#74 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:01 AM

Susiq - If you dive Nitrox I would recommend you dive it consistently instead of mixing and matching air / NITROX throughout the day. The main reason being you would handle each dive the same way. On my dives I set my DC to my % NITROX mix for the day and then I am done. I check the % mix before each dive in the tank and record it in the book. You don't have to worry about forgetting to change something or diving with your DC set incorrectly. If your DC is set to 32% O2 and you dive on a tank of air then you could be in trouble. If you inadvertently did do that, then skipping a days diving would be the only practical solution to be safe, otherwise your DC will have erroneous data for the rest of the trip.

I dove 5 dives a day for my liveaboard trip on 32% and my daily O2 exposure never exceeded 55%. We took long SI's and paced ourselves. The only negative thing about NITROX (apart from reduced depths and O2 exposure) is cost. As the package for the week is $100 then if you want to dive more than 2 dives a day you are covered. The positive aspect of NITROX is if you see something cool you have additional bottom time to explore or see it. Plus, it will reduce your overall DCS risk compared to air alone on a repetitive dive day (Assuming you stay within limits of course).

There is nothing stopping you from diving air alone for that week either. 2 dives a day on 21% is not a lot even over a week. My point though is to dive one gas consistently to avoid mix-ups.

Thats my 2 psi anyway... :birthday:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#75 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:19 AM

NITROX CLARIFICATION IN CASE ITS NEEDED:

The nitrox price for the week is $100 which only covers the pkg dives. It does not cover add'l dives you might add on UNLESS you dive BlueHole which would be air then you could use that nitrox tank for a 3rd dive etc.

Not exactly sure if Simon was saying that #100 covered the week of diving as it does not...just the pkg dives. :birthday:

As the package for the week is $100 then if you want to dive more than 2 dives a day you are covered.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users