• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

05a: SOLD OUT! Better Belize-It Baby...May 2-9, 2009

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#46 susiq

susiq

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Board Status:Workin' hard in NYC to fund my next dream trip!
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:355

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:11 AM

Hi all, you'll be happy to know, if you're a map-lover like me, that there's a whole page of maps of Ambergris Caye---google, aerial maps, business and restaurants, and other fun items. :birthday:

If you're looking for Tides Beach Resort's exact location,you'll find it on this map: North of town ----look north of the Amigos del Mar dock and near the next dock to the north of ThAT there it is!!!

This link will give you lots of different maps to look at. Ambergris Caye Maps

:birthday: S

Edited by susiq, 19 December 2008 - 11:15 AM.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever-- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

#47 h2ofria

h2ofria

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver
  • Logged Dives:82

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:12 PM

Sent in my payment and docs today via email. Hope all is well.

Snowing here again today and supposed to keep it up through tomorrow. Must be a record for this part of the country.
Work is the curse of the diving class!

#48 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:01 PM

Document Update:

1. Steve aka h20fria: Received your Waiver & Survey! :birthday:

#49 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:02 PM

Sent in my payment and docs today via email. Hope all is well.

Snowing here again today and supposed to keep it up through tomorrow. Must be a record for this part of the country.

Thank you! Kamala will send me payment info later today.

#50 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:01 PM

Amigo's del Mar, owned by Patojo's brother, have today taken delivery of a very smart new big boat for atoll trips. I believe I was told it was 62ft long, it's certainly very wide, and will apparently cruise at c.20knots. A lovely boat that you will all travel on if you take an atoll trip on this holiday.

#51 Jellyfishluv

Jellyfishluv

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Board Status:Always on the go
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:300+ logged

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

Boy, I wish I could but I will be in England in May.
:fish2: Keep on swimming, swimming, swimming...

#52 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:06 AM

Dang it girl...we wish you could go with us too! :o

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#53 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:06 AM

Dang it girl...we wish you could go with us too! :teeth:

I know...pick another one! :o

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#54 o2dive12

o2dive12

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:52 AM

Hey ScubaPunk, How does the $25 early full payment discount work? I read that it's applied post trip, however, I noticed in this thread that someone sent payment less the $25 discount......just wondering. Jeff

#55 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:53 AM

Hey ScubaPunk, How does the $25 early full payment discount work? I read that it's applied post trip, however, I noticed in this thread that someone sent payment less the $25 discount......just wondering. Jeff

The premeir member rebate is filed for after the trip and the early booking discount can be taken if paid in full before the trip. If you paid it in full but qualified it can be applied towards any other costs you incur on this trip or it can be added to your trip rebate when you file for that.

I hope that helps! kamala

formerly...

#56 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:48 PM

Document Update:

1. George aka Georoc1: Received your survey & waiver! :D

#57 susiq

susiq

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 01:06 PM

Can we get some of our experienced members to talk to us about what there is at the Turneffe Elbow or Turneffe North sites that would make a day trip worth the extra bucks??? (Besides a long-ish boat ride, I mean) I've done some research, but apart from what sounds like the proximity to zones where big pelagics may be observed, the descriptions I've found sound great--as they always do-- and I'm not sure we won't do just as well on our itineraries (up north of San Pedro and on un-named-as-yet sites).

It's just not that easy to read between the lines..... but maybe for a first-timer to Belize, the normal dives are terrific enough???? :o

Opinions and clarifications are welcome and thanks to any of our members who have been there or live in the neighborhood. :D

SusiQ

Edited by susiq, 25 December 2008 - 01:06 PM.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever-- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

#58 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 01:11 PM

North of town

URL doesn't work, at least not for me - says "forbidden".

#59 susiq

susiq

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 01:15 PM

North of town

URL doesn't work, at least not for me - says "forbidden".

hmmm, strange, it just worked again twice for me. but perhaps if you go to the main page http://ambergriscaye.com/maps/ you can find it among those maps...... it is in the second row across and says Location of Ambergris Caye businesses DOWNTOWN.

Hope that helps.
s

Edited by susiq, 25 December 2008 - 01:16 PM.

#60 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 01:42 PM

There are perhaps three generic areas usually dived from San Pedro - the 10 mile stretch of the Meso-American barrier reef that is just offshore from the town and its environs, stretching northwards from Hol Chan Marine Reserve; the Blue Hole (inside Lighthouse Atoll) and the associated dives on southern parts of that atoll; and the Elbow and nearby sites at the southern end of Turneffe Atoll.

All other available sites are little dived, including the barrier reef further than say 5 miles north of town, all parts of Turneffe other than the Elbow area, and all parts of Lighthouse Reef on the west side north of the two southern cayes (Half Moon and Long). I have never heard of any diving on the eastern side of Lighthouse (too rough), and the eastern side of Turneffe is rarely dived (also rough).

I have only once dived north Turneffe and it was a fairly forgettable day. I have dived a few spots on the mid-west of Lighthouse and they were excellent.

Despite the reputation you may read in some places, IMO the Elbow is not a particularly great dive area, and doesn't begin to compare with the regular sites on Lighthouse Reef.

I have never heard of anyone diving the southern tip of Lighthouse, though I want to do it as I believe the diving should be superb.

Areas "north" of San Pedro on the barrier reef are a mixed bag. As Kamala said, there's a mixture of absolutely superb sites and areas of endless sand, and as nothing is marked and I don't know anyone who has useful GPS coordinates (or is prepared to release them) it really is pot luck.

You're all going to have five or six days of diving, and I imagine people will want to spend one of those days on the Blue Hole day trip, which includes dives in the Hole itself and on the reef at each of the two southern cayes. That leaves four or five days to fill, and depending on who on the trip has been here before I suggest two of those days be at familiar sites offshore from town. Maybe an afternoon can be spent at the Hol Chan Marine Reserve, but I don't think you'll want to give up a day's diving to go there.

At least two more days can be spent "way up north", exploring virtually undived areas. These will probably be three dive days, to maximise efficiency of use of boat fuel. These may be fairly intensively moderately deep (down to say 80ft for much of the dive), so this is where nitrox will really come into its own. Most people with more than say 20 dives would find that if they use air they run out of allowable bottom time on these dives long before their tanks are empty. Nitrox removes that problem.

I strongly suggest anyone not already nitrox certified to PM me and we can do most of the necessary work on-line. The course is almost entirely theory, and I'll do it for you for free (OK, for a beer or two!). You'll have to pay for the cert, and you'll need to buy a manual and some "slates" at a PADI shop near home. Assuming you study what and how I tell you, we'll need to spend maybe an afternoon once you're here doing what remains - it won't interfere with your diving.

Edited by peterbj7, 25 December 2008 - 01:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users