• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Look at a one dollar bill

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RiverPearl

RiverPearl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:15-20

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:03 PM

Those of you still in class, or teaching, can use this for good purpose if you think about it. This is a lesson about our great country and what it stands for. Many have fought and died for its principles. Think about and remember what this says. Times are difficult, they will improve, and the more we recall the story below, the quicker and better we will be in this country that has given us so much to be thankful for, and....

Who was Hayim Solomon?

On the rear of the One Dollar bill, you will see two circles. Together, they comprise the Great Seal of the United States.

The First Continental Congress requested that Benjamin Franklin and a group of men come up with a Seal. It took them four years to accomplish this task and another two years to get it approved.

If you look at the left-hand circle, you will see a Pyramid. Notice the face is lighted, and the western side is dark. This country was just beginning. We had not begun to explore the west or decided what we could do for Western Civilization. The Pyramid is uncapped, again signifying that we were not even close to being finished. Inside the capstone you have the all-seeing eye, an ancient symbol for divinity. It was Franklin's belief that one man couldn't do it alone, but a group of men, with the help of God, could do anything.

'IN GOD WE TRUST' is on this currency.

The Latin above the pyramid, ANNUIT COEPTIS, means, 'God has favored our undertaking.'The Latin below the pyramid, NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM, means, 'a new order has begun.' At the base of the pyramid is the Roman Numeral for 1776. (MDCCLXXVI)

If you look at the right-hand circle, and check it carefully, you will learn that it is on every National Cemetery in the United States It is also on the Parade of Flags Walkway at the Bushnell, Florida National Cemetery , and is the centerpiece of most hero's monuments. Slightly modified, it is the seal of the President of the United States , and it is always visible whenever he speaks, yet very few people know what the symbols mean.

The Bald Eagle was selected as a symbol for victory for two reasons:

First, he is not afraid of a storm; he is strong, and he is smart enough to soar above it. Secondly, he wears no material crown. We had just broken from the King of England Also, notice the shield is unsupported. This country can now stand on its own. At the top of that shield you have a white bar signifying congress, a unifying factor. We were coming together as one nation.

In the Eagle's beak you will read, ' E PLURIBUS UNUM' meaning, 'one from many.'

Above the Eagle, you have thirteen stars, representing the thirteen original colonies, and any clouds of misunderstanding rolling away.
Again, we were coming together as one. Notice what the Eagle holds in his talons. He holds an olive branch and arrows. This country wants peace, but we will never be afraid to fight to preserve peace. The Eagle always wants to face the olive branch, but in time of war, his gaze turns toward the arrows.

They say that the number 13 is an unlucky number. This is almost a worldwide belief. You will usually never see a room numbered 13, or any hotels or motels with a 13th floor. But think about this:

13 original colonies,
13 signers of the Declaration of Independence,
13 stripes on our flag,
13 steps on the Pyramid,
13 letters in, 'Annuit Coeptis,'
13 letters in 'E PluribusUnum,'
13 stars above the Eagle,
13 bars on that shield,
13 leaves on the olive branch,
13 fruits,
and if you look closely,
13 arrows.

And finally, if you notice the arrangement of the 13 stars in the right-hand circle you will see that they are arranged as a Star of David. This was ordered by George Washington who, when he asked Hayim Solomon, a wealthy Philadelphia Jew, what he would like as a personal reward for his services to the Continental Army, Solomon said he wanted nothing for himself but that he would like something for his people.
The Star of David was the result. Few people know that it was Solomon who saved the Army through his financial contributions but died a pauper.

I always ask people, 'Why don't you know this?' Your children don't know this, and their history teachers don't know this.

Too many veterans have given up too much to ever let the meaning fade. Many veterans remember coming home to an America that didn't care. many veterans never came home at all.

Share this with everyone, so they can learn what is on the back of the:

UNITED STATES ONE DOLLAR BILL, :thankyou:
On the thresehold of singledom

#2 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for posting this. I have to be cautious, however, in using this with children in a lesson. I would share this with students and then have them go to two sites I use to begin to judge the truthfulness of internet stories. One is snopes.com and the other is truthorfiction.com. Currently snopes has an undetermined status on this story. Truthorfiction has broken most of this story down into components, some of which are confirmed as accurate and some are confirmed as not accurate.

As much as I love the sentiment of this story, and want to believe it is true, a large portion of my job is to instruct and remind students and teachers that not everything on the web is accurate and we must determine if the source of the information is reliable and of good authority. I've only done a cursory search on Hayim Solomon, and could not verify the claims for myself, I'll keep searching...because it is a wonderful story.

Until then, I'll stay with the parts I already know to be true, including the latin inscriptions, and hope someday I can be even more accurate with the whole story of the dollar bill.

Thank you!!

#3 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:43 PM

I have decided to conduct a full field study on the validity of this subject. Please mail me as many dollar bills as possible so I can compare them. To be a complete analysis you should also include $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100's too.

SUPPORT SCIENCE!!!
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#4 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:56 PM

I have decided to conduct a full field study on the validity of this subject. Please mail me as many dollar bills as possible so I can compare them. To be a complete analysis you should also include $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100's too.

SUPPORT SCIENCE!!!

Only if you go halves-ies with me (sorry, must have 100 supporters before I can kick in any $$ of my own!) :thankyou:

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:36 AM

Thanks for posting this. I have to be cautious, however, in using this with children in a lesson. I would share this with students and then have them go to two sites I use to begin to judge the truthfulness of internet stories. One is snopes.com and the other is truthorfiction.com. Currently snopes has an undetermined status on this story. Truthorfiction has broken most of this story down into components, some of which are confirmed as accurate and some are confirmed as not accurate.

As much as I love the sentiment of this story, and want to believe it is true, a large portion of my job is to instruct and remind students and teachers that not everything on the web is accurate and we must determine if the source of the information is reliable and of good authority. I've only done a cursory search on Hayim Solomon, and could not verify the claims for myself, I'll keep searching...because it is a wonderful story.

Until then, I'll stay with the parts I already know to be true, including the latin inscriptions, and hope someday I can be even more accurate with the whole story of the dollar bill.

Thank you!!

Great idea! So what parts have been deemed inaccurate?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:37 AM

SUPPORT SCIENCE!!!

Only if you go halves-ies with me (sorry, must have 100 supporters before I can kick in any $$ of my own!) :thankyou:

:teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:26 AM

Interesting information. Since the only thing in my pockets is coinage, I can't verify any of this personally. Could you do the same thing for a penny... oh and I have a few dimes as well.

#8 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:03 PM

I used to collect coins when I was a kid. There are a lot of cool facts and history associated with coin minting.

One of my favorite stories involved the first release of the Liberty Head nickel back in 1883. When the coin first came out it had a big Roman Numeral V on the back, but, there word “cents” did not appear anywhere on the coin. Since no one was familiar with the new coin, scoundrels immediately capitalized on the error and started gold plating the new nickels, passing them off as five dollar gold pieces (Ha - how’s that for American ingenuity :thankyou: ). After becoming aware of the problem, the U.S. mint decided to revise the coin for the following 1884 mint year to include the words ‘five cents” on the back. Nonetheless, the fake gold piece scam became so prevalent the government actually had to advance its schedule and minted a few revised coins with 1883 dates. Ironically, because so few nickels were minted with both an 1883 date and the words “five cents” on the back, these are now the rarest and most valuable specimens in the entire Liberty Head series.

I researched this story after my great uncle gave me four gold plated 1883 Liberty Head nickels when I was ten years old. As described, the word cents does not appear anywhere on these coins. I never thought to ask my great uncle whether he was involved in the gold plating scam, or whether he was duped by someone into taking the nickels in exchange for a $20 bill.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#9 RiverPearl

RiverPearl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

Thank you!!

I think it would be quite interesting to know the full history of our money...maybe people and our government would appreciate the value of it even more...one can only dream.....Please let me know the outcome of your research...now you have my curiosity up !!!!

#10 RiverPearl

RiverPearl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:55 PM

Interesting information. Since the only thing in my pockets is coinage, I can't verify any of this personally. Could you do the same thing for a penny... oh and I have a few dimes as well.

The oringinal that I received had actual pictures of one dollar bills sooooo....

#11 RiverPearl

RiverPearl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

SUPPORT SCIENCE!!!

Sorry all I can do is send you pictures of real money....I think in most states that's called counterfeit.............

#12 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:08 PM

Thank you!!

While I can't truly guarantee the accuracy of any information...I've found truthorfiction.com to have a good reputation for its facts...here is part of their posted information:

The First Continental Congress requested that Benjamin Franklin and a group of men come up with a Seal.

The Truth: Before the adjournment of the Continental Congress on July 4th, 1776, a committee was appointed to develop a seal for the United States. The committee was Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, and Thomas Jefferson, three of the five men who had drafted the Declaration of Independence. They were merely the first committee, however. It took six years, the work of two additional committees and a total of 14 men before a final version of the Great Seal was approved.

The Truth: The final proposal, which was accepted by Congress, was submitted on June 13, 1782 by Charles Thompson who had the title Secretary of Congress. He brought together some of the recommendations of the three committees, their consultants, and artists.

If you look at the left hand circle, you will see a Pyramid. Notice the face is lighted and the western side is dark. This country was just beginning. We had not begun to explore the West or decided what we could do for Western Civilization.

The Truth: First, the pyramid was not a part of the proposals for the Great Seal until the third committee. It was not suggested by Jefferson, Franklin, and Adams. As to the lighting on the East or West of the pyramid, we did not find any such official explanation.

The Pyramid is UN-capped, again signifying that we were not even close to being finished.

The Truth: This appears to be accurate. The unfinished state of the pyramid was intentional. Also, Charles Thompson, in his remarks to congress about the symbolism on the Great Seal, said the pyramid represented "Strength and Duration."

The Latin below the pyramid, NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM, means "a new order has begun."

The Truth: The government's translation of this phrase is, "A new order for the ages."

If you look at the right-hand circle, and check it carefully, you will learn that it is on every National Cemetery in the United States. It is also on the Parade of Flags Walkway at the Bushnell, Florida National Cemetery and is the centerpiece of most hero's monuments. Slightly modified, it is the seal of the President of the United States and it is always visible whenever he speaks.

The Truth: The Presidential Seal has the eagle facing to the eagle's left toward the olive branch instead of toward the eagle's right as on the Great Seal. This was a change ordered by President Harry Truman in 1945.

The Bald Eagle was selected as a symbol for victory for two reasons: first, he is not afraid of a storm; he is strong and he is smart enough to soar above it. Secondly, he wears no material crown. We had just broken from the King of England.

The Truth: We could not find this particular explanation of the imagery of the eagle in the official records. Most references to the eagle indicate that it represents something of uniquely American origin. One of the original design proposals for the Great Seal featured a small crested white eagle, which is not uniquely American.

Notice the shield is unsupported. This country can now stand on its own.

The Truth: This is accurate. Charles Thompson said it denoted that the United State of America ought to rely on their own virtue.

At the top of that shield you have a white bar signifying congress, a unifying factor. We were coming together as one nation. In the Eagle's beak you will read, "E PLURIBUS UNUM", meaning "one nation from many people."

The Truth: Actually, the shield consists of red and white stripes with a blue bar above and which does represent Congress. The colors are taken from the American flag and officially, the red represents hardiness and valor, the white represents purity and innocence, and the blue, vigilance, perseverance, and justice.

Above the Eagle you have thirteen stars representing the thirteen original colonies, and any clouds of misunderstanding rolling away.

The Truth: The thirteen stars do represent the Colonies. We could not find anything official about the "clouds of misunderstanding."

Notice what the Eagle holds in his talons. He holds an olive branch and arrows. This country wants peace, but we will never be afraid to fight to preserve peace. The Eagle always wants to face the olive branch, but in time of war, his gaze turns toward the arrows.

The Truth: The official meaning is that the olive branch and the arrows "denote the power of peace & war." As noted, the design has been with the eagle facing the arrows except for when President Harry Truman turned the face toward the olive branch on the Presidential Seal.

(The Presidential Seal has the eagle facing to the eagle's left toward the olive branch instead of toward the eagle's right as on the Great Seal. This was a change ordered by President Harry Truman in 1945.)

Much of the inaccuracies are subtle, but that is why I point it out, often the "best" lies have a portion of truth.

#13 RiverPearl

RiverPearl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:21 PM

Thank you!!

eWhile I can't truly guarantee the accuracy of any information...I've found truthorfiction.com to have a good reputation for its facts...here is part of their posted information:

The First Continental Congress requested that Benjamin Franklin and a group of men come up with a Seal.

The Truth: Before the adjournment of the Continental Congress on July 4th, 1776, a committee was appointed to develop a seal for the United States. The committee was Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, and Thomas Jefferson, three of the five men who had drafted the Declaration of Independence. They were merely the first committee, however. It took six years, the work of two additional committees and a total of 14 men before a final version of the Great Seal was approved.

The Truth: The final proposal, which was accepted by Congress, was submitted on June 13, 1782 by Charles Thompson who had the title Secretary of Congress. He brought together some of the recommendations of the three committees, their consultants, and artists.

If you look at the left hand circle, you will see a Pyramid. Notice the face is lighted and the western side is dark. This country was just beginning. We had not begun to explore the West or decided what we could do for Western Civilization.

The Truth: First, the pyramid was not a part of the proposals for the Great Seal until the third committee. It was not suggested by Jefferson, Franklin, and Adams. As to the lighting on the East or West of the pyramid, we did not find any such official explanation.

The Pyramid is UN-capped, again signifying that we were not even close to being finished.

The Truth: This appears to be accurate. The unfinished state of the pyramid was intentional. Also, Charles Thompson, in his remarks to congress about the symbolism on the Great Seal, said the pyramid represented "Strength and Duration."

The Latin below the pyramid, NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM, means "a new order has begun."

The Truth: The government's translation of this phrase is, "A new order for the ages."

If you look at the right-hand circle, and check it carefully, you will learn that it is on every National Cemetery in the United States. It is also on the Parade of Flags Walkway at the Bushnell, Florida National Cemetery and is the centerpiece of most hero's monuments. Slightly modified, it is the seal of the President of the United States and it is always visible whenever he speaks.

The Truth: The Presidential Seal has the eagle facing to the eagle's left toward the olive branch instead of toward the eagle's right as on the Great Seal. This was a change ordered by President Harry Truman in 1945.

The Bald Eagle was selected as a symbol for victory for two reasons: first, he is not afraid of a storm; he is strong and he is smart enough to soar above it. Secondly, he wears no material crown. We had just broken from the King of England.

The Truth: We could not find this particular explanation of the imagery of the eagle in the official records. Most references to the eagle indicate that it represents something of uniquely American origin. One of the original design proposals for the Great Seal featured a small crested white eagle, which is not uniquely American.

Notice the shield is unsupported. This country can now stand on its own.

The Truth: This is accurate. Charles Thompson said it denoted that the United State of America ought to rely on their own virtue.

At the top of that shield you have a white bar signifying congress, a unifying factor. We were coming together as one nation. In the Eagle's beak you will read, "E PLURIBUS UNUM", meaning "one nation from many people."

The Truth: Actually, the shield consists of red and white stripes with a blue bar above and which does represent Congress. The colors are taken from the American flag and officially, the red represents hardiness and valor, the white represents purity and innocence, and the blue, vigilance, perseverance, and justice.

Above the Eagle you have thirteen stars representing the thirteen original colonies, and any clouds of misunderstanding rolling away.

The Truth: The thirteen stars do represent the Colonies. We could not find anything official about the "clouds of misunderstanding."

Notice what the Eagle holds in his talons. He holds an olive branch and arrows. This country wants peace, but we will never be afraid to fight to preserve peace. The Eagle always wants to face the olive branch, but in time of war, his gaze turns toward the arrows.

The Truth: The official meaning is that the olive branch and the arrows "denote the power of peace & war." As noted, the design has been with the eagle facing the arrows except for when President Harry Truman turned the face toward the olive branch on the Presidential Seal.

(The Presidential Seal has the eagle facing to the eagle's left toward the olive branch instead of toward the eagle's right as on the Great Seal. This was a change ordered by President Harry Truman in 1945.)

Much of the inaccuracies are subtle, but that is why I point it out, often the "best" lies have a portion of truth.

How utterly fascinating !!! It is amazing how something so minor can turn into such an extreme topic of conversation !! I appreciate the time you took to do research on the subject..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users