• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Snowed under in the Pacific Northwest

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:52 PM

I have been snowed under with spotty wireles connections since Saturday. This type of storm and volume of snow is not normal for the Portland/Vancouver area so very little of the city is or can be plowed. It appears I am likely to continue spotty connections and irregular sign-ons through Christmas, however I am thankful for continued power.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:18 PM

Stay warm, be safe, and have a good Holiday!
Posted Image

#3 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

I have been snowed under with spotty wireles connections since Saturday. This type of storm and volume of snow is not normal for the Portland/Vancouver area so very little of the city is or can be plowed. It appears I am likely to continue spotty connections and irregular sign-ons through Christmas, however I am thankful for continued power.

Take a hot bath, and drink a bottle of To-Kill-Ya.... or skip the bath and go right for the cure.

Edited by Capn Jack, 23 December 2008 - 02:48 PM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#4 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:38 PM

We're not much better up here in BC although Vancouver is still functioning. I'm actually surprised how many people have made it into the office. Keep safe Nicolle!

#5 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:43 PM

We're not much better up here in BC although Vancouver is still functioning. I'm actually surprised how many people have made it into the office. Keep safe Nicolle!

They say this is the first Canadian coast to coast snow coverage for Christmas since 1971. We got a foot two days ago plus another foot in drifts soon afterwards. The Great White North...
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#6 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:00 PM

They say this is the first Canadian coast to coast snow coverage for Christmas since 1971. We got a foot two days ago plus another foot in drifts soon afterwards. The Great White North...

Believe it or not, it appears that you are better off than we are! We had a foot on Sunday/Monday and are due for another 6 inches tonight/tomorrow! Ought to make for an interesting drive to my parents' place for Christmas :-D

#7 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

We have 6-9" in the part of Vancouver, WA where I live and it is about the same into Portland. The issue is they cleared the major highways but left no room to dechain. So you need chains to get to the highways but then need to get them off to be on the highways but no where safe to do so. On my way into to work I was going very slow in chains and the gal to the right of me threw a chain into her wheel well and then I noticed several cars pulled off with the same issue and one emergency vehicle witha guy going car to car with cable cutters cutting chains off.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#8 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:00 PM

Looks like it will be in the mid 40's for you by the weekend. I sure hope the roads get clear, I am due to fly into Seattle on Dec 30th. Maybe I should drive a snow plow out instead of fly.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#9 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:38 AM

Well, we got that 6 inches last night and it is STILL snowing hard! It will be an interesting drive to my parents' place tonight!

#10 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:53 PM

Perhaps you' all can start a new sport north of the border!! :D :o

snow_snorkle.jpg
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#11 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:02 PM

Well, we got that 6 inches last night and it is STILL snowing hard! It will be an interesting drive to my parents' place tonight!

oh, I so want to say something.... but it is xmas, and I won't take the cheap ones
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#12 Tolly

Tolly

IT Administrator (Retired)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:*

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:21 PM

oh, I so want to say something.... but it is xmas, and I won't take the cheap ones

Take the cheap one....

TAKE THE CHEAP ONE!

SingleDivers can help you plan your personal or family dive trips! Send us an e-mail: SD Travel

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace." Charles Sumner

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Be the little boy" Dive_Girl

dilemma.gif

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

The entire PNW area has been COVERED in the white stuff. I think its a plot but I can't prove it yet! :respect:

p.s. hope you dig out soon!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

Take the cheap one....

TAKE THE CHEAP ONE!

Dang it George...we'll just have to censor it! :respect:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#15 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:49 PM

Sort of sorry I am not there to enjoy all that snow.
Been getting reports from my daughter.. Seattle got hit hard...

It has to melt sometime. Hope everyone gets thru without issues.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users