• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

WHAT WOULD YOU DO? Diving Edition #2

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:13 PM

I do touch critters, sometimes to get a better camera angle, sometimes to elicit behavior to film. However, I only touch critters that (as a marine biologist) I feel fairly certain are tolerant of such contact and not injured by it. Generally I don't touch under other circumstances.

Accented words make my exact point.... Those who truly know versus those who don't.

#32 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

This is very extreme behaviour....granted I may have considered it ESPECIALLY if this person were part of the SD group but to take this extreme behaviour may have ended up with a cat fight or worse a fist fight with her husband. :-D

It would not have been pretty, but it would not have lasted long - why I carry a big knife - helps make up for shortcomings in my other equipment
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#33 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:19 PM

It may seem extreme but i have seen dive guides do just that, and in one case turn the person over to the local Dept of natural resources to explain there actions and to pay some stiff fines.

if they want to argue the situation fine but let it be infront of everyone so that everyone can add their .02 cents. personally reefs take centuries to millennium + to build and only takes one tard 2 seconds to destroy, sorry thats just plain wrong as i follow the ideal of "take only photographs, leave only bubbles (or less depending if your on a CCR)". As for a fist fight, my only comment is you had better knock me out in one hit cause after that its all over but the crying. I can certainly take care of my self and do a self patch job.

Edited by Scubatooth, 07 January 2009 - 02:25 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#34 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:23 PM

This is very extreme behaviour....granted I may have considered it ESPECIALLY if this person were part of the SD group but to take this extreme behaviour may have ended up with a cat fight or worse a fist fight with her husband. :-D

It would not have been pretty, but it would not have lasted long - why I carry a big knife - helps make up for shortcomings in my other equipment

Mark you ain't right! :-D

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#35 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:23 PM

I do touch critters, sometimes to get a better camera angle, sometimes to elicit behavior to film. However, I only touch critters that (as a marine biologist) I feel fairly certain are tolerant of such contact and not injured by it. Generally I don't touch under other circumstances.

Accented words make my exact point.... Those who truly know versus those who don't.

Point well taken!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#36 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

You know the thing is that, while I had the most heavenly experience playing with the whaleshark, and might be tempted to caress a dolphin if given the opportunity, I would not ever have even considered touching coral, sponges, nudibranchs or any other reef life.... even in my "really new to diving" phase!
Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#37 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:50 PM

You know the thing is that, while I had the most heavenly experience playing with the whaleshark, and might be tempted to caress a dolphin if given the opportunity, I would not ever have even considered touching coral, sponges, nudibranchs or any other reef life.... even in my "really new to diving" phase!

Just don't rub the belly of a male dolphin. He may get the wrong idea!

#38 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:29 AM

Well, Capn Jack, if you ever get the notion to cut one of my hoses... make sure it is the exhaust hose on my vintage double hose reg.

#39 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:57 AM

Just don't rub the belly of a male dolphin. He may get the wrong idea!

:idea: :D :teeth:
Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#40 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:41 PM

Here is a picture of a DM holding a nurseshark. And this is quite prevelent on several sites on Ambergris Cay in Belize.

Posted Image

formerly...

#41 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:10 AM

Here is a picture of a DM holding a nurseshark. And this is quite prevelent on several sites on Ambergris Cay in Belize.

Posted Image

I saw worse this week while diving Ambergris. In addition, some of the guests at my hotel said while they were snorkeling at the Hol Chan marine preserve, some of the guides caught and carried over a nurse shark to the snorkeling group in the boat.

#42 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:50 AM

Over at Isla Mares just north of Cancun they have a shark exhibit where you can get in and have your picture taken similar to the one above where you hold the shark. That poor animal looked so sad in its pen it just didn't feel right.

#43 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:42 PM

I think we can all agree that created/manipulated conditions as those mentioned immediately above are a substantial crossing of a line which should not be crossed by responsible divers. Certainly a couple of the divers on the Fling took strenuous exception to my having touched and interacted with the whaleshark at the Flower Gardens and, if my behavior actually was unwise, I would seek to understand why so that I can be more conscientious.

If my serendipitous adventure with the whale shark was not a crossing of that line (for I truly don't know), my question of the members here would be this: Where is that line?

To clarify, I'm referring to the interaction with larger life forms. I wouldn't dream of touching, poking, scraping corals, or other life forms that are (at least to me) obviously fragile.

What guidelines would or should be applied? When, if ever, is it acceptable for a recreational diver to interact with a large life form, as I did?

#44 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

What guidelines would or should be applied? When, if ever, is it acceptable for a recreational diver to interact with a large life form, as I did?

Being simple minded and not fond of guidelines/rules that aren't easy to remember - I prefer never.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#45 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:32 PM

I think we can all agree that created/manipulated conditions as those mentioned immediately above are a substantial crossing of a line which should not be crossed by responsible divers. Certainly a couple of the divers on the Fling took strenuous exception to my having touched and interacted with the whaleshark at the Flower Gardens and, if my behavior actually was unwise, I would seek to understand why so that I can be more conscientious.

If my serendipitous adventure with the whale shark was not a crossing of that line (for I truly don't know), my question of the members here would be this: Where is that line?

To clarify, I'm referring to the interaction with larger life forms. I wouldn't dream of touching, poking, scraping corals, or other life forms that are (at least to me) obviously fragile.

If they interact with you that's one thing but holding a fin and riding along is crossing that line to me. Touching is actually crossing the line but I'm only talking about what should be done not what I would have done in every case. As a newer diver of course you end up doing a little more touching than after you have been diving for a while. Any interaction changes their behavior.

There are harbor seals that buzz divers at night in the winter at our local dive site. They bump into you. I've sometimes pushed back out of habit. Doing anything to encourage them is not good although nothing a diver does will keep them away since they are using our dive lights to hunt their prey. It's fun the first few times it happens and annoying after that (they silt the place up big time). You could try to "ride" one but that IS crossing the line and could get a future diver bitten.

Edited by gcbryan, 11 January 2009 - 05:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users