• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Why Do You Come To SD

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Comments or Anonymous Poll (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Please tell us why you came to SD originally?

1. Other Divers (24 votes [14.63%])

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

2. Equipment Suggestions (4 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

3. Dive Buddies in your area (20 votes [12.20%])

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

4. News and Current SD Events (8 votes [4.88%])

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

5. Single Divers (19 votes [11.59%])

Percentage of vote: 11.59%

6. Diving Locations (13 votes [7.93%])

Percentage of vote: 7.93%

7. General Diving Talk (17 votes [10.37%])

Percentage of vote: 10.37%

8. Just Fun and Posting Your Opinion (5 votes [3.05%])

Percentage of vote: 3.05%

9. Women Divers (10 votes [6.10%])

Percentage of vote: 6.10%

10. Men Divers (1 votes [0.61%])

Percentage of vote: 0.61%

11. No Reason..Just Like The Website (4 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

12. For the dive trips (22 votes [13.41%])

Percentage of vote: 13.41%

13. To make new friends (17 votes [10.37%])

Percentage of vote: 10.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:55 AM

I'm an analyst by trade which makes me somewhat annoying... but - did you look at views per thread? For instance I read DrBill's threads religiously but I don't post. There may be people reading the diving threads that are learning but don't feel they have anything to add.

Also - reviewing what the site is, doesn't mean it's what the site will be. The only way to change something is to be involved. Like LLDN mentioned, start some of the threads up again. If they came up on my list of new posts, I'd be out there reading them. As it is now, I only search through them when I have a specific question.

I like both aspects of SD. I like that there are a lot of experienced divers out here that can address any questions I have. (I just bought a new wetsuit based on advice I got here.) I also like the chit chat of the community.

I sometimes fall into the read but don't post category (with .11 posts per day). I do agree that the way to keep the diving threads going is to post in them.

I think SD's niche may be getting divers together, particularly ones that are new or getting back into it. Many of the new divers may be intimidated by the larger sites when asking for advice. For technical advice, a larger site or a tech specific site may be more appropriate. On the other hand, drawing from a smaller pool may make the advice more personal. I think this site benefits from having the more experienced divers around to answer the less experienced divers' questions.

#32 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:36 AM

I originally came because I thought it might be a way to meet another single diver. Over time I realized that was going to be very unlikely for me. As the site has shifted more to just trips, and non-diving talk, I've found myself coming less and less. I check in every couple of months now.

I've noticed that many of the other divers I used to enjoy talking about diving with are gone also. I guess we just don't "fit".

Good poll.

-Cheers

I always liked your input, Perrone. I think you kept the diving talk lively.

I came to meet other divers in my area because it was hard to get a dive buddy on short notice and I wanted to expand the pool of divers to go with. I've enjoyed meeting local people. I like it that the group is small and I know many of the people by name and through discussions, even if not in person.

Perrone, I LOVE your input; you are miles, hours, and galaxies from my experience level but I read your posts on the "other" board and here. I want to personally thank you for your clear and concise experiences and explanations. Maximum Respect!!

I originally came to the site as I had very rarely had the same dive buddy. For two years I had insta-buddies. I have met many wonderful people that I have been able to dive with again, again, and still want to dive and learn from again. Those people have been from SD. I do think there is a rich environment once we all hit the water; but on the site itself it does seem to be more social interactions; which is good too. One day I will get to make a trip :D

#33 ddierolf

ddierolf

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

I came here because I was new at diving and didn't know any better! I stayed because no one banned me! :D

Just kidding, it is a nice place to come and add my sillyness to other peoples posts. There are nice people here and alot of information that is useful. Plus there are alot of pics of women in swim suits! :fish2:

Which end is up?

#34 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

I came here because I was new at diving and didn't know any better! I stayed because no one banned me! :D

:fish2: :hiya:
Posted Image

#35 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:45 PM

:fish2: :hiya:

I hope I didn't speak too soon! :P

Which end is up?

#36 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:22 PM

Poll Update :lmao:
The number one reason people dont come to SD is to meet Men Divers
So thats a good thing right :2cool: :2cool: :dance: :taz: :D :tears:
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#37 justscuba

justscuba

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT, EFR INST,HSAI
  • Logged Dives: about 2250 cert 1973

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

Poll Update :lmao:
The number one reason people dont come to SD is to meet Men Divers
So thats a good thing right :2cool: :tears: :lmao: :taz: :D :taz:

WOW that is a good thing because I didn't come here to meet Men? :lmao: :lmao: Now a lady on the other hand. :2cool: :dance: I haven't met one yet but have met lost of nice ladies. Toooooo bad none came here to met man. :tears:

#38 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:29 AM

Perrone Perrone Perrone...gotta :) ya!

When you participate you do add value. But that goes for most everyone. We are an "entertain me" oriented world. So people want to *READ* about diving and not add as much input as others might like but as mentioned before...these threads get LOTS of views and reads. And while people may not spend all their time starting diving topics and talking about diving topics...they are reading about diving and they are GOING DIVING! And many of them are going on our trips. No other site offers as many trips as we do in such a cohesive fashion and certainly not by the same organizer. However I guess without these trips we would have nothing else to do but *talk* about diving so maybe we'd have more diving discussions! :)

It is interesting to note that these trips offer something for EVERYONE. We offer training on our trips...and we even offer technical diving and training on several trips a year if not more.

If you are ONLY into techincal diving then no SingleDivers.com will not be enough of a fix...but its wrong to say that we are only a 'social networking site' and don't talk about diving. WE DO! :respect: Stats can be used to prove anything you want...but if you want to prove that this group is more about socializing rather than being serious divers because we don't spend all our time talking about the technical or theoretical aspects of diving...then you are welcome to make that conclusion.

I see the same stats showing that our members are spending their time talking about GOING DIVING and ENJOYING DIVING and ACTUALLY DIVING rather than just talking about the 'nuts and bolts' of diving. I see people SIGNING up for dive trips and asking about dive locations so they can DIVE! Why is this somehow inferior to talking about training techniques or some other aspect of diving?

Perrone its good to see you back...as always you generate discussions and hopefully you'll send me some ideas for our What Would You Do "Diving Edition" which have been very well received. Or contribute to our diving discussions. :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#39 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

Poll Update :thankyou:
The Top Two reason people come to SD is to Meet Divers and The Dive Trips
So thats a good thing right :2cool: :dance: :twist: :wakawaka: :fish2: :diver: :diver: :thankyou:
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#40 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

Um, do I have to be honest? OK... my ultimate dive buddy and great sex/love.

#41 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:48 AM

I remember meeting a bunch of you folks at the SD.Com booth at Beneath The Sea '05. I was so impressed by the group that I immediately joined. A few days later, my check for membership went out in the mail. It was kind of like a situation from Malcom Gladwell's book Blink, and it was a good call--I've got no regrets.

Rick

:D

Making shishkabob out of sacred cows...

#42 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:51 AM

Um, do I have to be honest? OK... my ultimate dive buddy and great sex/love.

DrBill...HONESTY IS ALWAYS BEST....however sometimes too much of a good thing is still too much of a good thing! :welcome:

Just joking with ya...it takes ALL kinds of members to make a place like this special and you are one of the *most special* .... :D

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#43 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:54 AM

I remember meeting a bunch of you folks at the SD.Com booth at Beneath The Sea '05. I was so impressed by the group that I immediately joined. A few days later, my check for membership went out in the mail. It was kind of like a situation from Malcom Gladwell's book Blink, and it was a good call--I've got no regrets.

Rick

:D

Making shishkabob out of sacred cows...

Ya know HONESTLY we felt the same way about you...only I didn't put a check in the mail to you but you know what I mean! :welcome:

But I know what you mean...I feel the same way about this group whenever I see them pull together to work a show to help tell others about us or go on a trip and help others feel welcome or just reply to topics on this site....AMAZING!!!

formerly...

#44 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

I came here because I was new at diving and didn't know any better! I stayed because no one banned me! :welcome:

:welcome: :fish2:

I hope I didn't speak too soon! :cool1:

NAW!!! You are also one of our *SPECIAL MEMBERS* too! :D

formerly...

#45 SeaSeeker

SeaSeeker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:42+

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

.... I read DrBill's threads religiously but I don't post. There may be people reading the diving threads that are learning but don't feel they have anything to add.

PerroneFord - I love your analysis and the way you think! Numbers are what tells the tale for me, too.

Having said that, I think lynnlchan has an excellent point about the interpretation of the numbers and what may an important addition to your brilliant analysis. I, too, view and read a lot of posts - Dr. Bill's religiously (I love his dvd's btw - bought a bunch of them) - but I don't post because I'm learning and reading and thinking and I hesitate to clutter up the board with "wow, I learned something". Perhaps I should start posting my "thanks for sharing - I appreciate the education" feedback because it is apparent that those of you educated souls out there aren't getting enough appreciation to keep sharing. You all ROCK!! :lmao:

PerroneFord - I hope to meet you on a trip some day because I bet conversing with you would be a hilite. I don't get enough intelligent conversation in my world, to be honest.

So, there is my 2psi for the day. Have a great one!

ciao,
Tammie
Carpe Diem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users