• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Why Do You Come To SD

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Comments or Anonymous Poll (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Please tell us why you came to SD originally?

1. Other Divers (24 votes [14.63%])

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

2. Equipment Suggestions (4 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

3. Dive Buddies in your area (20 votes [12.20%])

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

4. News and Current SD Events (8 votes [4.88%])

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

5. Single Divers (19 votes [11.59%])

Percentage of vote: 11.59%

6. Diving Locations (13 votes [7.93%])

Percentage of vote: 7.93%

7. General Diving Talk (17 votes [10.37%])

Percentage of vote: 10.37%

8. Just Fun and Posting Your Opinion (5 votes [3.05%])

Percentage of vote: 3.05%

9. Women Divers (10 votes [6.10%])

Percentage of vote: 6.10%

10. Men Divers (1 votes [0.61%])

Percentage of vote: 0.61%

11. No Reason..Just Like The Website (4 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

12. For the dive trips (22 votes [13.41%])

Percentage of vote: 13.41%

13. To make new friends (17 votes [10.37%])

Percentage of vote: 10.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:23 PM

Seems my "analysis" was somewhat flawed and skewed. Sorry about that folks. I think those who know me from here (or in person) know I tend to be controversial. I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with SD being what it is. Only that for a certain group of divers it just wasn't a great fit. As I first mentioned, many of the folks I enjoyed chatting diving with, moved on to other sites.

I've begun posting a bit more here again, for better or worse. I'll try to avoid getting banned or posting anything too far out on the edge.

As for me going on an SD Trip in the future. May happen. I am dating an OW diver who loves reefs and fish so I am doing more OW diving. She convinced me to go to the keys this past weekend, and it appears she will convince me to do some other saltwater dives. I have learned that I can only do 1 saltwater dive per day or I get ill. So no liveaboard trips for me. I don't get motion sick in the least, but the taste and smell of saltwater does me in. So perhaps a freshwater trip, or a trip where I can opt out of dives and just do one per day. Of course the option of a tech trip is always appealing too and I'd have to leave her home for that.

We'll see.

#47 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

You know how it goes here at SD....all points of view are welcome, as long as they're presented respectfully! You're always respectful, so no banning for you! :birthday:

We're a wide range of divers, and we won't always see things from the same perspective. But we all learn from the discussions that have differing points of view, and we make up our own minds on how it applies to us as individual divers at different levels of expertise.

And, congrats on finding a diving SO! Even if you like different types of diving, it's cool that you have the sport in common.
Posted Image

#48 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

Perrone, for the past few years that I've known you on this board, I've always found your perspectives well-thought and interesting, whether or not I've agreed with them. :birthday: I hope you will continue to participate in our discussions (it seems you've taken a hiatus or two).

Rick

:birthday:

The physician can bury his mistakes, but the architect can only advise his client to plant vines.-Frank Lloyd Wright

#49 Dave L

Dave L

People are starting to get to know me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Nitrox/Decompression
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

I came here and lurked for awhile. The thing that really compelled me to join was the lack of the nastiness that seems to permeate many forum sites around the internet. I've been on a lot of sites in other venues and always found a group that would chastise any "dumb" question a new person asked, like they were never at that level. The openness and friendliness is truly amazing. Anyway, off my soapbox for now.

The information here seems to be pretty accurate. I like the social aspects and the trips. There are a lot of places to get technical information about diving or underwater photography. But they seem to lack the warmth I find here.

Just my 2psi.
Dave

#50 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

.... I read DrBill's threads religiously but I don't post. There may be people reading the diving threads that are learning but don't feel they have anything to add.

PerroneFord - I love your analysis and the way you think! Numbers are what tells the tale for me, too.

Having said that, I think lynnlchan has an excellent point about the interpretation of the numbers and what may an important addition to your brilliant analysis. I, too, view and read a lot of posts - Dr. Bill's religiously (I love his dvd's btw - bought a bunch of them) - but I don't post because I'm learning and reading and thinking and I hesitate to clutter up the board with "wow, I learned something". Perhaps I should start posting my "thanks for sharing - I appreciate the education" feedback because it is apparent that those of you educated souls out there aren't getting enough appreciation to keep sharing. You all ROCK!! :)

PerroneFord - I hope to meet you on a trip some day because I bet conversing with you would be a hilite. I don't get enough intelligent conversation in my world, to be honest.

So, there is my 2psi for the day. Have a great one!

ciao,
Tammie

I'll add my ditto here.

I highly value the input from ALL of the highly skilled divers here. Technical diving is something that I know very little about, and every time that I read ANY of our tech divers' comments I learn something. Don't stop now!!!

By the way, as Dave L mentions above, I lurked for a bit before I joined. What convinced me that this was the place for me was the fact that the highly trained divers weren't engaging in derisive smack-downs when a newbie diver (like me) would ask a question (as I did about pony bottles!)

The best way to increase the knowledge base of divers? Mentor them, even if it's just online! To some extent, that's what I see here at SD. The willingness to teach and explain will bring big payoffs: better, smarter, safer divers.

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#51 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:12 PM

The willingness to teach and explain will bring big payoffs: better, smarter, safer divers.

And if we do it with a smile of encouragement, and hold out that helping hand, we end up with some great new SD members! :)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users