• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Nickname Origins

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 damselfish

damselfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

Well Simon, you, Tammy, Victoria and I will keep it going anyway! :teeth:

Soooo what's up Shadragon, what's that name all about anyway? Mine? Don't know just was looking for a girl name. Damselfish are quite territorial. Hmmm not sure that describes me. I'm not "bossy" although my 18 year old has the song "Bossy" by Kelis as my ringtone. She just doesn't like to clean up. NOW she's in the band corps (military) at Texas A&M and WISHES she still lived with me.
Actually, I'm not too territorial, just very friendly, TOO friendly, I'd give my territory to anyone who said they needed it. lol. I should have named myself HONU like the Hawaiian sea turtle. That describes me more.
I just glide through life, don't get to worked up about anything, quiet, simple and very friendly. I stay pretty much to myself but am happy in groups too. I have 1 enemy - the shark and he pays me child support! lol.
Wonder if it's too late to change my name???
~ D
:rolleyes:
Ain't love a BEACH?

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:49 PM

B - keep your screenname! I remember when I first joined, your screenname was one of the first I saw once I got into the site, and I thought "how cool, maybe I should have put more thought into mine, instead of picking the first name I thought of" LOL. But, I've grown accustomed to abbreviating mine! Besides, I just got to the point of knowing most of the regulars' names.....don't change up on me now! :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#3 Penguin

Penguin

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

Well Simon, you, Tammy, Victoria and I will keep it going anyway! :teeth:

Soooo what's up Shadragon, what's that name all about anyway? Mine? Don't know just was looking for a girl name. Damselfish are quite territorial. Hmmm not sure that describes me. I'm not "bossy" although my 18 year old has the song "Bossy" by Kelis as my ringtone. She just doesn't like to clean up. NOW she's in the band corps (military) at Texas A&M and WISHES she still lived with me.
Actually, I'm not too territorial, just very friendly, TOO friendly, I'd give my territory to anyone who said they needed it. lol. I should have named myself HONU like the Hawaiian sea turtle. That describes me more.
I just glide through life, don't get to worked up about anything, quiet, simple and very friendly. I stay pretty much to myself but am happy in groups too. I have 1 enemy - the shark and he pays me child support! lol.
~ D
:rolleyes:

Don't change the name, D. Its cool and it causes people to think about it!

#4 bowjunkie

bowjunkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:18 PM

Hey miss D. don'tcha be changing your name lol it's just you :rolleyes:

:teeth: everyone hope ya'll have a great nite
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

- John Adams, 2nd President of the United States

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under..'- Ronald Reagan

#5 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

D, don't change your name!!! I love your name (definitely better than uwfan, though I guess everybody knows who I am now). If you change it I'll have to figure out what you changed it to so I can read all your posts. I may not chat much here but I like to see who's been on during the day. Keep the name!! :rolleyes:

#6 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

Well Simon, you, Tammy, Victoria and I will keep it going anyway! :rolleyes:

My nickname? Anyone familiar with R.A. Salvatore could figure that out. It was a compromise followed by a contraction as Shimmergloom was too long to type. :teeth:

Hmmm... Friendly, glides through life, not territorial, likes scuba masks and has a shark as an enemy. Only one name choice fits really...

Attached Thumbnails

• Dorey.jpg

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#7 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:16 PM

That was over my head Shadragon! Cool name though.
Thanks guys and glad you posted! I know why you are bowjunkie Ed. Did you get a buck this year? I sure miss my vineson jerky. Guess that's another thing I'll have to learn to do myself. Gotta get my gun cleaned! I am now a sterio hooker upper pro. lol. Cut and spliced the sterio wire and all! Ha! ok so the guy at Best Buy showed me how BUT I went home and did it MYSELF!
Anyway, thanks guys, ttyl. Gotta work early. :rolleyes: but HEY TGIF! ~ D
Ain't love a BEACH?

#8 BeachJunkie

BeachJunkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox/Cave
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:17 AM

I like the name. At least you can abbreviate it without sounding like a drug addict or refering to sexual favors haha. I definitely should have put a little more thought into mine.
Bringing evil things to evil people... Because pacifists can't get a damn thing done!

Working on my PHD in CQB one house at a time.

#9 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

Talk about names......mine is BORING!! Oh well......a name is a name is a name I guess!!!
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#10 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:59 AM

That was over my head Shadragon! Cool name though.

OK, the long version. :teeth:

When I signed up on Excite.com I was looking for an email address. I wanted something simple for people to remember. I used to work for a computer gaming company with Dragon in the business title so I tried 'Dragon@Excite' 'RedDragon@Excite' 'GoldDragon@Excite' and all the other colours of the rainbow. They were all taken.

R.A. Salvatore wrote a book called Streams of Silver. One of his characters was a dragon called Shimmergloom.

Shimmergloom is the nickname of Haerinvureem. He was a shadow dragon who arose from the depths of the Underdark after the Battlehammer dwarves of Mithral Hall delved too deep in their mithral mines. Shimmergloom drove the dwarves from their ancestral home, forcing them to resettle in the Icewind Dale region, and supplanted them with his Duergar servants. Shimmergloom reigned over the hall for roughly one dwarven generation until Bruenor Battlehammer, the rightful heir to the throne of Mithral Hall, returned to the hall in his adulthood in order to reclaim it. Shimmergloom attempted to retain his hold on the hall through the efforts of his servants, most notably, two shadow mastiffs, although he eventually had to confront the intruders himself, where he was eventually slain by Bruenor after the dwarf strapped a barrel of flaming oil to his back and jumped on to the shadow dragon's back. The ensuing inferno destroyed Shimmergloom, although Bruenor was unwittingly saved by carrying the scimitar Icingdeath with him into battle, with the blade's magical protection from fire allowing the dwarf to ride Shimmergloom's burning corpse safely to the floor of the gorge.

Haerinvureem was the last survivor of the Jaezred Clan, clan of Shadow dragons, who conquered the Drow city Chaulssin. After centuries of reigning and enslaving, the dragons were overthrown by their own offspring and most were killed. Only Haerinvureem managed to flee.

Told you it was a long answer. hahaha

So basically, Shimmergloom is a survivor who went out fighting. I could live with that. So I tried 'Shimmergloom@Excite',... Already taken. Shimmergloom was a shadow dragon so I tried 'ShadowDragon@Excite'. Yup, also taken. DOH! At this point I had tried two dozen name combinations and all were taken so I took Shadow and Dragon and concatenated them together to shadragon. Short, sweet and easy to remember. Success! and my email account was established.

Now before you write me at 'shadragon@excite' be warned that is my SPAM account. If a web site or company wants my email address to send me a password or activation link I give them that one. Then I log onto it, get the info I need and log off. They can spam that account all they want. I log on every month or so and mass delete everything without reading to keep things tidy. I was getting almost 200 spams a day at one point. I established another Excite account for personal use with the name based on a confluence between a Pharonic legend, the pyramid at Cheops and my career at the time. Now THAT is a long story... :rolleyes: Today, I have seven email accounts with my latest on GMAIL (Love that service).

Congrats on the stereo experience B. Good to know some people are not afraid to try. I still see too many blinking '12:00' on peoples VCR's to this day. Oh and I got my buck this year. Found it in the dryer last week.

I am heading out to a dive pro meeting tonight. The Regional Manager for PADI Canada is coming through to talk to all the DM's and above in the province. Not exactly sure what it is all about, but it will get me out of town for an evening. I am hoping for donuts...

Posted Image
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#11 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:16 AM

The credit for this idea goes to ASDMike who suggested it.

We have a great mix of names on here. How did you choose the nickname you use on SD?

#12 divzac

divzac

Diving Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor / Captain. I either dive or drive often in the Palm Beaches
  • Logged Dives:I kinda got lazy after a couple hundred

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:21 AM

Welllll..... Let's see here. Mine is rather simple. I took DIVE and ZACH and put them together. I left oout the "E" and the "H" so that it wouldn't sound Canadian, EH?? :rolleyes:
I wanna be the person that my dog thinks I am

Check out the SPREE...come dive with us!

charlies@singledivers.com

#13 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

Oh and I got my buck this year. Found it in the dryer last week.

:rolleyes: :teeth: :fish:
Posted Image

#14 Canuck in Texas

Canuck in Texas

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:29 AM

Hey, I resemble that remark. :rolleyes:
Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one else is looking.Posted Image

#15 divzac

divzac

Diving Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor / Captain. I either dive or drive often in the Palm Beaches
  • Logged Dives:I kinda got lazy after a couple hundred

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

Hey, I resemble that remark. :teeth:

:wacko: :fish: :rolleyes:
I wanna be the person that my dog thinks I am

Check out the SPREE...come dive with us!

charlies@singledivers.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users