• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Nickname Origins

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

I grabbed a guy's fin on a trip and have been known ever since as "finGrabber"! :usflag:

I grabbed Kimmie's fin in Grenada once. :lmao:
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#32 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

I have a few nicknames depending on what and where i was at the time.... oh my diving one, yeah well its not because im a dentist as i hate dentists.

my diving nickname came about during my first open water decent. My OW checkout dives where in cold water on a cold November day, and on that first decent i started to have a bit of pain in my jaw that got worse till i got to about 20 feet when it felt like i got shot and I bailed out of the dive screaming in pain all the way to the surface. well when i got to the surface i had everyone on the docks attention as they said they heard the scream from the parking lot a 100yards back. Well that ended that weekend of checkout dives and i saw the dentist on monday morning and x-rays revealed i had suffered a reverse squeeze in a filling that pressed on a nerve causing the pain, and then in the process of surfacing i fractured the filling so it had to be redone. Since then i have been called scubatooth, and its a nick i have used on other dive boards as well.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#33 hambergler

hambergler

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:475

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:31 PM

http://flickr.com/ph...157603012476634

Mine is related to my motorcycle roadracing leathers (see Racer184). In 20 years of racing, after a while I decided I had to have a custom set of Vanson leathers. First I got Ducati red, then a multicolored suit (aka The Clown Suit), then a set that was alternating black and white 3" horizontal stripes. These last leathers were a big hit at the track, and people started calling me "jailbird" and then "The Hamburglar"; I simply substituted my last name, and I was "The Hambergler".

Interestingly, and within about ten minutes of this photo being taken in 2005, I was on the way to College Station Medical Center with a broken femur and medial malleolus. Five days in the hospital, and I have the titanium and stainless hardware to show for it. Went back to racing until this past year, when another unfortunate spill led to 12 days in the same exact hospital. I am now a retired racer.

Edited by hambergler, 06 February 2009 - 09:55 PM.

I'm growing older but not up,
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck.
Let those winds of time blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.

#34 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:55 PM

Like i said on the other thread.. just was looking for a girl name and had seen a bunch of damselfish. ~ D :usflag:
Ain't love a BEACH?

#35 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:07 PM

Like i said on the other thread.. just was looking for a girl name and had seen a bunch of damselfish. ~ D :usflag:

and it fits perfectly for you Belinda :lmao:

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#36 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

Well, I added ASD to my first name for two reasons and then the confusion started. Most people thought it had something to do with SingleDiver, as in something like "a SD mike", nope not that-- plus I didn't know the SD abbreviation for the site at the time. And there is also another funny story about a wrong guess, but I'll have to tell that later.

So the first real reason is a diving challenge I always gave myself not to be. In my early diving days I traveled often with my first dive shop and the group always met afterward for a slide show. (Anybody here remember slides? :usflag:) So as part of these get togethers, they would give out "awards". I never did win the trip ASD award, probably only since new divers were rightfully exempt from that one. But the fear of being known as the trip ASD made an impression on me. So I switched my thinking by considering myself the worst ASD and built from there on every dive to learn the skills I saw in the experienced divers.

So getting back to when I joined, I had never used ASDmike before (or since). And while joining a site called singledivers, I then thought of a second reason calling myself an ASD "worked". When I met Kamala some 7 months later, she heard the second reason. Same abbreviation , just another angle. Anyho, figure it out? No, ok... doubleclick here >AirSuckingDog<
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#37 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:51 PM

and it fits perfectly for you Belinda :lmao:

True. But the other thread had some pretty good posts too. Besides Simon's great explanation, Belinda made some interesting comments on her choosing her name.

Maybe a moderator will help us out by getting out the scissors, moving the "name" posts here where they belong, and leaving an explanation and link there?
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#38 Monkey Diver

Monkey Diver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1800 + logged, but didn't log first 20 years

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:58 AM

My girlfriend called me that a very long time ago, it stuck, and the name lasted longer than she did. I don't remember exactly why she called me that, but I do remember that it was fun and amusing. You'll just have to use your imagination.
Wayne :-{ )

#39 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:19 AM

My girlfriend called me that a very long time ago, it stuck, and the name lasted longer than she did. I don't remember exactly why she called me that, but I do remember that it was fun and amusing. You'll just have to use your imagination.

Thankfully the many suggestions my ex made didn't stick. :lmao:

I once had a half million volts discharge through my temple when working on some military gear. The nick 'Sparky' was inevitable, but luckily I was posted soon after and no one on the new base knew the story. One of the up-sides was I became mostly psychic. I can tell you the results of a coin flip beforehand almost 50% of the time!
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#40 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:21 AM

Thankfully the many suggestions my ex made didn't stick. :lmao:

I once had a half million volts discharge through my temple when working on some military gear. The nick 'Sparky' was inevitable, but luckily I was posted soon after and no one on the new base knew the story. One of the up-sides was I became mostly psychic. I can tell you the results of a coin flip beforehand almost 50% of the time!

So... do tell.... "Shadragon"???? Did I miss something oh psychic one?
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#41 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:34 AM

I don't know if it's the same meaning, but back in the late 70's we had a term "gorilla diver." This was someone who was hell-bent on removing artifacts from sunken shipwrecks, the deeper the better, even if it meant distain for things like no-decompression limits or other common sense procedures. It was sort-of a macho/trophy thing. As one might suspect, however, most gorilla divers didn't practice the "art" for too long.

Rick

:lmao:

I still have the same home. I still drink the same beer. I still use the same pubs in London - usually the public bars because that’s where the action is. And I think I still have the same friends from my broke days - those that were real friends that is.--Patrick McGoohan, on how success hadn't changed him

#42 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

So... do tell.... "Shadragon"???? Did I miss something oh psychic one?

You did. Look in page 12 of the 'Shout Out' thread for my nick origin story.

Click here. It might work.

Origin story now post 10 in this thread...

Edited by uwfan, 07 February 2009 - 11:37 PM.
Changed link so we can find the story

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#43 divzac

divzac

Diving Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor / Captain. I either dive or drive often in the Palm Beaches
  • Logged Dives:I kinda got lazy after a couple hundred

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:04 PM

Thankfully the many suggestions my ex made didn't stick. :banghead:

I had an X wife that was psychic......she knew beforehand every time we were going to have sex........
I wanna be the person that my dog thinks I am

Check out the SPREE...come dive with us!

charlies@singledivers.com

#44 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:14 PM

I've got a couple nicknames which I opted not to use here for some reason. More often than not, I tend to use ichaseballoons for my moniker, both on email accounts and IM stuff. Before I dove into scuba, I was a hot air balloonist. I served as crew chief for a company in Colorado which catered to the tourism industry, and we had as many as five large balloons up on flyable mornings. It kept me busy, and I LOVED it. I was also a student pilot...didn't finish training for my commercial license before I moved to Texas, and at some point I'll get that done too!

I had an opportunity to buy that balloon company once, but needed a partner I could trust who also had the capital to match my contribution...and didn't find one with both qualifications... More's the pity!

It's ALL about the neutral buoyancy, y'all!!!

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#45 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:43 PM

I don't know if it's the same meaning, but back in the late 70's we had a term "gorilla diver." This was someone who was hell-bent on removing artifacts from sunken shipwrecks, the deeper the better, even if it meant distain for things like no-decompression limits or other common sense procedures. It was sort-of a macho/trophy thing. As one might suspect, however, most gorilla divers didn't practice the "art" for too long.

What is the saying, Rick? There are "old" divers and there are "bold" divers, but there are no "old & bold" divers ....
-Mitch-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users