• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2010 Trip Ideas, Suggestions and Planning thread

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#16 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

I find myself in the same situation of debating one big trip vs smaller trips. And example has been the debate on doing Belize vs Fiji. It is almost exactly 2 to 1 in pricing with just about the same number of dives.

Time vs money...some only have one vacation so opt for the more expensive or luxurious trip. Also the Belize trip this year is a bit of an anomolie. Usually the Carribbean trips are $1200 range + air of $600 so easily $2k. The Fiji trip in this case includes air for $2995. Many people think diving in the other pond is worth the $900. Plus there is NO shore diving in Belize where we are going but excellent shorediving in Fiji.

My thought was to plan one big trip two years out in Truk and then do smaller trips between now and then to get as much diving in as I could and prepare for it. However, if that trip is out, I may need to re-evaluate my plans.

Part of why we are having this discussion now. So far only 2 people want to do Truk...you and me! :wakawaka: People do not have the money or are still leary of spending it. Sadly Truk has not come down in price yet...I am asking if they will. It may be such a thing as we offer Truk as part of a "Deals" offering vs. a group trip offering. The entire industry is in change right now and we are working to see how we fit in and how to keep offering great trips for our members!

Part of it is also scheduling. Beyond the May trips, I run into scheduling conflicts right up to Cozumel. I'd love to do Galapagos, but it doesn't look like I can get the time off. Maybe the Mona trip?

Galapagos is worthy of trying to get the time off. Fewer and fewer boats are getting permits...and the few boats with them are JACKING PRICES SKYHIGH!!! It is now easily $1000 more to do the Galapagos than a little over a year ago. There is no end in sight to this trend. :teeth:

I know I enjoyed the liveaboard in Australia and would like to do another one of those. We will see.

I LOVED diving there and one of our favorite vendors unexpectedly sold its boat to a world health organization so does not have a boat in Australia right now. With the economy they may pick up a good deal on one and have it ready to go again depending on what happens to the dive industry in general. In the meantime the only other options are a boat that carries 24/26 passengers and one that carries 36 passengers. Both of which are too large to charter the whole boat (ours was only 16 divers) and if you can't charter the whole boat then you do several 3/4 day itineraries back to back vs one 7 or 8 day itinerary like we did. What this means is you repeat most of what you are seeing and spend lots of time 'steaming' back and forth rather than diving like we did when we when WAY UP NORTH and dove almost continuously with very little steaming except for some in the beginning and the end.

It seemed like we had quite a thread of people interested below and based upon what I heard on both the Bonaire and Cozumel trips last year, there was quite the interest in the Truk trip too.

http://www.singlediv...a...=15564&st=0

Granted circumstances change. But I would definitely want to do this one as a group trip given the dive teams in doing deco dives. I would not be comfortable as a single diver just latching onto some other group.

Unfortunately work can not guarantee the time off for Galapagos. The timing is very poor for someone in corporate planning with quarterly meeting, budgets and reforecasts all occuring during that trip. By the time Cozy rolls around, that can work.

It seems like in addition to Belize, Roatan and Cozy are certainly value trips too. Airfare is less than some of the more challenging locations like Bonaire as well as being easier to get to.

Scheduling is always going to be challenging for me. So the sooner you get a schedule out there the better!

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:46 PM

Scheduling is always going to be challenging for me. So the sooner you get a schedule out there the better!

That is why I'm working on it NOW!!! I may also only run 6 or so group trips for 2010 and then post more 'specials' and focus on small group and individual travel.

I think this year will be extremely challenging and next year even more so. I am open to ALL suggestions as to what to do...or what people want.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#18 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:08 AM

I know my "big" trip for 2010 is going to be Chuuk Lagoon. I would like to combine it with a side trip to Palau or wherever is appropriate being that far from home.
Signature under construction :)

#19 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

Kamala - my dive vacation time will be during the EID's - which this year falls around 3rd week September and last week in November. I would be interested in joining SD for anything you are running to the Far East/pacific - which is only a 7/8 ish hour flight for us desert dwellers! Also, if you are going back to Egypt to do a Southern liveaboard. As you know, I prefer the non-budget option. My vacation time is precious and I want to enjoy it :-)
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:01 AM

I know my "big" trip for 2010 is going to be Chuuk Lagoon. I would like to combine it with a side trip to Palau or wherever is appropriate being that far from home.

LOVE THE NEW AVATAR my dear! :D

Have you chosen a date for Truk/Chuuk? Or were you planning to be part of our trip which was tentatively scheduled for Jan/Feb 2010 and included Palau?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#21 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:04 AM

Kamala - my dive vacation time will be during the EID's - which this year falls around 3rd week September and last week in November. I would be interested in joining SD for anything you are running to the Far East/pacific - which is only a 7/8 ish hour flight for us desert dwellers!

Great this helps me a lot! Does this mean you are available FROM 3rd week of Sept until last week in Nov or only 3rd week Sept and last week of Nov?

Also, if you are going back to Egypt to do a Southern liveaboard. As you know, I prefer the non-budget option. My vacation time is precious and I want to enjoy it :-)

Does this mean you'd do the liveabaord part if we repeated Red Sea but would skip the sightseeing since you've done it? That was certainly an option I would allow just for that reason! Anyway...I'm sorry for being a bit dense this morning! LOL! :D

formerly...

#22 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

Have you chosen a date for Truk/Chuuk? Or were you planning to be part of our trip which was tentatively scheduled for Jan/Feb 2010 and included Palau?

Sounds Ideal! Let me look for the link. It totally passed by me.

Thanks on the Avatar ... I do what I can :D
Signature under construction :)

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

Sounds Ideal! Let me look for the link. It totally passed by me.

Thanks on the Avatar ... I do what I can :D

Ya done good on the avatar! Looks like you found the link to the previous discussion thread we had on the subject. Let me know if you are FIRM for 2010 or would you consider 2011 early???

formerly...

#24 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:18 AM

Kamala - my dive vacation time will be during the EID's - which this year falls around 3rd week September and last week in November. I would be interested in joining SD for anything you are running to the Far East/pacific - which is only a 7/8 ish hour flight for us desert dwellers!

Great this helps me a lot! Does this mean you are available FROM 3rd week of Sept until last week in Nov or only 3rd week Sept and last week of Nov?

Also, if you are going back to Egypt to do a Southern liveaboard. As you know, I prefer the non-budget option. My vacation time is precious and I want to enjoy it :-)

Does this mean you'd do the liveabaord part if we repeated Red Sea but would skip the sightseeing since you've done it? That was certainly an option I would allow just for that reason! Anyway...I'm sorry for being a bit dense this morning! LOL! :wakawaka:

Never dense - just in need of a coffee (or cuppa tea..)

EID is a 3 day muslim holiday immediately after Ramadan and again, 40 days later. So I have the 3rd week in September and the last week in November off. Not 6 weeks..... :-(

I would only be interested in a REd Sea liveaboard - not sightseeing.

I am going to LIDS 2009 (London dive show) at the end of March, so if you are planning anything, can you pass on some outline details before then? cheers!

#25 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:21 AM

EID is a 3 day muslim holiday immediately after Ramadan and again, 40 days later. So I have the 3rd week in September and the last week in November off. Not 6 weeks..... :-(

I am going to LIDS 2009 (London dive show) at the end of March, so if you are planning anything, can you pass on some outline details before then? cheers!

Ok that is sort of what I figured on all accounts but was not sure...:wakawaka:

Hmm...do you want the 2010 working plan by then? I guess you would since you can see the 2009 stuff now. LOL! Yep...need another cuppa tea....would you mind getting it for me lovely??? :)

formerly...

#26 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:00 AM

Ok that is sort of what I figured on all accounts but was not sure...:wakawaka:

Hmm...do you want the 2010 working plan by then? I guess you would since you can see the 2009 stuff now. LOL! Yep...need another cuppa tea....would you mind getting it for me lovely??? :)

Actually Kamala, it is obviously me that needs a strong coffee. I didn't read the thread title properly - I am still planning for 2009.

The EID dates for 2010 will be around 10 days earlier - so for 2010 I would be looking at around 10 Sept for a week or 2 of dive vacation, then again around 18 Nov for a week. Again, Far East/pacific

Still interested in Red Sea liveaboard for 2010.

Off to make your tea now....

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

Actually Kamala, it is obviously me that needs a strong coffee. I didn't read the thread title properly - I am still planning for 2009.

:) I can help with this one afterall! I can even email you a MASTER list of all our trips...let me know! (We use it at tradeshows!)

The EID dates for 2010 will be around 10 days earlier - so for 2010 I would be looking at around 10 Sept for a week or 2 of dive vacation, then again around 18 Nov for a week. Again, Far East/pacific

:wakawaka: I NEED THAT!!!! Need to make sure YOU are on one or more of our trips! :verysad:

ALSO AWESOME! I am about 99% confident we'll be doing Red Sea for 2010 and you can do the liveabaord only as well!

Oh how lovely....nothing like a real European to make a perfect cup of tea!!! :unhappy:

formerly...

#28 Lady Liz

Lady Liz

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Board Status:do not delete any message
  • Cert Level:Advanced & Nitrox

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

Ok that is sort of what I figured on all accounts but was not sure... :wakawaka:

I would be interested in a live a board on the red sea since I did the sightseeing!!! I can make you both your tea canadian style!!! Liz
Formerly 'Liz' but wow 'Lady Liz' thanks to Stephane & Galapagos!

#29 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,143 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

*SNIP-SNAP-SNUP*

I would be interested in a live a board on the red sea since I did the sightseeing!!! I can make you both your tea canadian style!!! Liz

*Feigned look of stern admonishment*
Now Liz, you and Sheena should cease this shameless attempt to bribe WW with promises of a proper Limey or Canuck tea. :wakawaka:

Pssst! She's far cheaper than that! Just mail 'er a scone and you're all set! :)

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:50 PM

*SNIP-SNAP-SNUP*

*Feigned look of stern admonishment*
Now Liz, you and Sheena should cease this shameless attempt to bribe WW with promises of a proper Limey or Canuck tea. :verysad:

Pssst! She's far cheaper than that! Just mail 'er a scone and you're all set! :unhappy:

:)

Truth is when both have been my roomie they each have made or gotten me tea! Its just a lovely thought that reminds me of past trips and having them BOTH as fantastic roomies! :wakawaka:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users