• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2010 Trip Ideas, Suggestions and Planning thread

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#46 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

Is anyone interested in doing NC wreck and shark diving next year? I have a chance to get it back for the 4th of July... diving on history is one of my favorite things to do! :wakawaka:

That interests me...especially since I could tie it to a trip with the Spree (being on that side of the contiguous states)...and maybe even explore some of the east coast states I've never visited.

#47 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

Red Sea, is this land-based or liveaboard? I'm still not sure I can tolerate being on a boat for a week, being so sensitive to motion....[sigh]. But, this is on my bucket list and I'd love to go with a group like SD! Also, do we charter over from the East Coast, like we're doing on the Fiji trip from LAX?

I'll start saving for this one, as soon as I get my third trip for 2009 paid for! :wakawaka:
Posted Image

#48 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:58 AM

Is anyone interested in doing NC wreck and shark diving next year? I have a chance to get it back for the 4th of July... diving on history is one of my favorite things to do! :wakawaka:

I enjoyed this trip last year and would like to do trips similar to this going forward. It seems like there are others places that are condusive to this type of trip, SE Florida, Pensacola, Southern California and the PNW to name a few. More regional trips that would minimize costs yet be multiple days in places where day trips are more the norm.

#49 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,695 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

Red Sea, is this land-based or liveaboard? I'm still not sure I can tolerate being on a boat for a week, being so sensitive to motion....[sigh]. But, this is on my bucket list and I'd love to go with a group like SD! Also, do we charter over from the East Coast, like we're doing on the Fiji trip from LAX?

I'll start saving for this one, as soon as I get my third trip for 2009 paid for! :birthday:

Red Sea is generally via NY and the diving part is on a LUXURY liveaboard that is very stable and very luxurious...with 2 crew per passenger! WOW!!! :birthday:

It was one of the easiest liveaboards I'd been on as the boat was so big so you did not feel you were on a boat!

Plus we have really good seasickness meds! :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#50 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,695 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:39 AM

Is anyone interested in doing NC wreck and shark diving next year? I have a chance to get it back for the 4th of July... diving on history is one of my favorite things to do! :birthday:

I enjoyed this trip last year and would like to do trips similar to this going forward. It seems like there are others places that are condusive to this type of trip, SE Florida, Pensacola, Southern California and the PNW to name a few. More regional trips that would minimize costs yet be multiple days in places where day trips are more the norm.

We are looking into those options. CA for example is difficult as the liveaboard options involve 3 divers stacked and the diver needs to bring all bedding or sleeping bag. This is NOT conducive for traveling divers. Day operators are another option but hotels are VERY expensive as a general rule and of course this is cold diving.

PNW is a good option...hotels can be had for reasonable price but most would only be interested in 2 days or 3 days max diving due to the cold.

Florida has the same issues...hotels expensive but diving is cheap. So we are solving that by doing a floating hotel up and down the Keys. If that trip goes well maybe we can repeat it. There are other areas of Florida and I'm looking at those as well. Fly ins want at least a week and locals only want to do the weekend. So its hard to pull these logistics together.

The Oriskini has come up MANY times but hotel lodging and good boat accommodations have limitations.

TRUST ME...I've been exploring these options for awhile now...and I'm still open to ideas so pm or email me if you have ways to help make one of these trips work for us! :birthday:

NC is not easy to set up but the logistics to get fly ins there, have food on the boat, do a cookout, know the operator so you can MAXIMIZE the diving experience is all in place...so easy to do from out standpoint which means it is a good experience for the diver.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#51 SeaSeeker

SeaSeeker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:42+

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:24 AM

Kamala,
From reading various threads, I think I have understood that you are working on the Red Sea for 2010 and Truk Lagoon for early 2011. Do I have that right? Or am I just in "wishful thinking" mode - because that would be so very ideal for me and I'd be in for both trips!
:birthday:
Let me know tentative dates so I can "pencil them in".

ciao,
Tammie

Yes this is what we are tentatively looking at. We can NOT get a group trip to Truk in 2010 even if we wanted too...they only have group dates for 2011.

Now the trick is to figure out how many people want to do what as in the case of Truk I have to book those spots NOW if they are available.

So if people want Red Sea for 2010 since 09 is already filled then I can book that now and let people start planning. If we want Truk we need to book it NOW for 2011.

In that case, I am absolutley interested in both. Can you confirm for me again what tentative dates (if you know) you are looking at for the two destinations. Also, what airport do you fly to in Egypt for the Red Sea trip? I want to see if I can get there using my air points. Any idea of ballpark price for the trips? (I better be putting a goal on the savings account :birthday: )

Thanks,
Tammie
Carpe Diem!

#52 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,695 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:31 AM

In that case, I am absolutley interested in both. Can you confirm for me again what tentative dates (if you know) you are looking at for the two destinations. Also, what airport do you fly to in Egypt for the Red Sea trip? I want to see if I can get there using my air points. Any idea of ballpark price for the trips? (I better be putting a goal on the savings account :birthday: )

Thanks,
Tammie

Red Sea would be April/May timeframe of next year if we did it and its looking good due to feedback so far as this is the best time weather wise...its gets too hot after that in Egypt. We fly via JFK on Air Egypt. The price is part of the pkg...when we did it last the pkg was in the $3k range and that included air out of JFK!

Truk would be Jan/Feb in 2011 if I can get a date and we get enough interest and there are dates available. Otherwise Jan/Feb 2012. So not as far off as people think either way... Truk would also offer a Yap or Palau add-on that could be done as a standalone trip or extended trip. Very complex for me but the best way to offer the trip to benefit our members. Air not clear at this time but would be via LAX. Not sure if I'd do a contract or not. To fly to Truk you go via Guam or Palau or Yap anyway...timing will be a bear and there is also the risk of TODAY's schedules changing due to the economy over the next 18 months. :birthday:

formerly...

#53 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

Red Sea is generally via NY and the diving part is on a LUXURY liveaboard that is very stable and very luxurious...with 2 crew per passenger! WOW!!! :D

It was one of the easiest liveaboards I'd been on as the boat was so big so you did not feel you were on a boat!

Plus we have really good seasickness meds! :teeth:

What live-a-board do you use?
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#54 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

Red Sea is generally via NY and the diving part is on a LUXURY liveaboard that is very stable and very luxurious...with 2 crew per passenger! WOW!!! :D

Plus we have really good seasickness meds! :teeth:

What live-a-board do you use?

The last trip we used the Emperor Fleet and we were on the luxury vessel the Emperor Majesty. Nice "boat."
It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

#55 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,695 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

The last trip we used the Emperor Fleet and we were on the luxury vessel the Emperor Majesty. Nice "boat."

And we can book them for groups or individuals for better than you can do it yourself! :D

formerly...

#56 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:07 AM

[

Red Sea would be April/May timeframe of next year if we did it and its looking good due to feedback so far as this is the best time weather wise...

I would be interested in a trip a little later - late May/June. april/May is a bit early for me :-(
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#57 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:49 AM

[

Red Sea would be April/May timeframe of next year if we did it and its looking good due to feedback so far as this is the best time weather wise...

I would be interested in a trip a little later - late May/June. april/May is a bit early for me :-(

I can do any timeframe for this trip except Nov-Jan -- our company no-vacation zone! Definitely interested in the Red Sea trip, and if anyone wanted to stay a day or two to do some sightseeing, I'd be part of that group too!
Posted Image

#58 Kuraman

Kuraman

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Cert Level:IDC Staff Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Over 1000 now, quit logging and quit counting

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:06 AM

I would love to do the Red Sea, and anytime next year is good for me right now... I will get a better handle on my 2010 work schedule in Nov-Dec, but definitely want to do this trip.

I would also be up for the Maldives. It was in my top 3 unil Raja Empat, now they are all tied at #2 :wakawaka:

Don't know if I would make a trip to Chuuk (Truk Lagoon), yes it changed its name officially. I think most folks would want to do some of the deeper wrecks, been there, done that, TWICE. But there are so many wrecks there, If I could find a few who didn't want the DECO dives I might be persuaded.
Formerly known as "DixieDiver25" but changed for a nice donation to SingleDivers.com. Kuraman means 'Turtle Man".

#59 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:22 AM

I would love to do the Red Sea, and anytime next year is good for me right now... I will get a better handle on my 2010 work schedule in Nov-Dec, but definitely want to do this trip.

I would also be up for the Maldives. It was in my top 3 unil Raja Empat, now they are all tied at #2 :wakawaka:

Don't know if I would make a trip to Chuuk (Truk Lagoon), yes it changed its name officially. I think most folks would want to do some of the deeper wrecks, been there, done that, TWICE. But there are so many wrecks there, If I could find a few who didn't want the DECO dives I might be persuaded.

I'd like to do ALL of these, the problem is I'd like to do them all in one trip, Red Sea, Seychelles, Maldives, Lembeh, Ambon[?], Chuuk, Palau. Don't know if I'll be ready for 2010, was planning more toward 2011. I know Kamala probably wouldn't want to attempt this type of trip [risk, logistics,etc], but maybe if you could work in 2 of the segments, I'd be 'all in'.

Bill

Edited by ScubaTex, 24 April 2009 - 07:33 AM.

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#60 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,695 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:21 AM

In 2011 we are doing Truk and Palau as 2 separate trips back to back. You can do 1 or both and have options for doing each a short time or a long time....well for the most part!

Does that qualify? :wakawaka:

formerly...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users