• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Recommendations??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BeachJunkie

BeachJunkie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox/Cave
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:57 AM

Hello everyone
As most of you know. I'm back from Afghanistan. Loving it. You'll be thrilled to know that the care packages that you sent worked most excellently. We finished out Re-Integration classes and paperwork today and will have a 4 day weekend this weekend. (thursday through sunday) I've got three guys who all want to go to florida and get certified. We're kind of limited as to where due to finances and time so we're driving. We're thinking panama city. It's an 8 hour drive from Ft. Campbell. Does anyone have any suggestions on places that would be good or maybe even closer? We could do it in the local quarries but the water here is still ungodly cold and I'm hoping for these guys to be able to enjoy their first dives. Plus, we can still party it up a bit in Panama City. I know that the 3 or 4 day certification classes aren't always ideal but I don't think these guys will have a problem with it. If anyone knows places or shops to check out please chime in. Thanks!!
Bringing evil things to evil people... Because pacifists can't get a damn thing done!

Working on my PHD in CQB one house at a time.

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:01 AM

Contacting an instructor for you in Panama City who I know well and is an excellent instructor...plus he has taught a lot of military guys/gals and prefers them so I know he'll give you all a good deal.

Ok just talked to him and he can do you guys THIS WEEKEND!! And he is giving you a great deal for a private class catered to your needs and he will also make sure its a bit challenging too. And Beach Junkie he will work it so you can go on the boat diving with your buds. So they will do pool work and REAL open water diving either in the springs if the weather is too rough in the ocean or in the ocean is good. He is also a boat captain so can arrange the charter part as well.

You will need to get your PADI Open Water books asap and start reading and doing the Knowledge Reviews. I'll send you his info via pm so you can contact him. If you use him you need to call him today if at all possible to get everything set up since the weekend is fast approaching!

If you use someone else...keep us posted...we are VERY excited that you have helped to get more guys into diving! :)

Also DiverDeb is in Pensacola if you want to drive there.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 Harleyguy1963

Harleyguy1963

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Board Status:x
  • Cert Level:Level 3 advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

I am diving with the Panama City Dive Center this Sunday. Water is supposed to be about 70 degrees.
Gary T

#4 BeachJunkie

BeachJunkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

We're good to go. It's looking like we'll be at vortex though. Weather doesn't look like it will co-operate too well. I've got two other guys who are interested but can't make it this weekend. So I'll probably use the guy you recommended for that Kamala. I'll certainly save his info. I'll let everyone know how it goes and be sure to post up some pictures if I can. Thanks!
Bringing evil things to evil people... Because pacifists can't get a damn thing done!

#5 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

This is why I stay at SD for all my diving needs...

BeachJunkie...Good Post.
WW...Good source for info and connections.
Harleyguy1963...Great follow-up on the post with current..real-time conditions.

You could'nt pull me off SD with a Mac Truck :cool1:

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#6 BeachJunkie

BeachJunkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:06 PM

Back from Panama City. Both guys got certified. It was an adventure to say the least. The weather was less than accomadating for the first two days. Thunderstorms and terrential downpours. They were able to get the classroom and poolwork done but we had to skip a day because the seas were insane and the road to Vortex was washed out and impassable. They did their first open water dives at vortex and I did three dives. Water was a nice warm 68 degrees. Saw some freshwater eels and what I believe were huge carp. There were also the koi (sp?) fish. I forgot to bring an underwater camera with me so I didn't get any good pictures underwater. Vis was iffy due to lots of classes and divers in general. It was much smaller than I thought it would be. The cave was cool. I went in a couple feet just to check it out but didn't venture out from the main opening. Had fun cruising through the swim throughs and a couple of the weird boxes they had there. Good couple dives all around.

The next day we went to the jetties. The seas had calmed down quite a bit and I was hoping to get on a boat.. sadly, it didn't happen. The jetties were a mess. Vis was about 2 feet at depth and you needed a light to be able to see. There was so much crap in the water that ambient light couldn't make it down more than about 20 feet. Chased around some sheepshead and found some small crabs and such around the rocks. Probably THE worst visibility I've had in the ocean. I normally wouldn't have even bothered but it was still nice to get wet. I made it fun. Did two more dives there. The guys finished their certification and are now good to go. I scratched the hell out of my brand new computer but that and the vis were the only downsides. They're both already talking about doing a liveaboard trip for our block leave. I'm trying to interest them in the SD trip to bonaire but I don't think their schedules are going to allow it. We'll see what happens.

Just thought I'd finish this thread off with what happened. I'll post up some pics when I get them on the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users