• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

My worst flight.....

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:12 AM

Picking up on Kamala's report in another thread:-

"In my years of flight...
1. I've been on a plane with a burning engine...big shooting flames and all. (We landed quite safely on the other engine but I haven't flown NW very much since that time.)
2. I've been on a plane with a burning electrical smell...we turned around and went back to our departure airport but I haven't flown Delta as much since that time either. (I know not fair but people are products of their experiences!)
3. I've been on a plane that couldn't raise the landing gear so returned to the departure airport...and no I haven't flown United that much since that time.
4. I've been on a number of delayed flights...and even a few cancelled/rescheduled ones with AA but I've always managed to adjust accordingly and figured its better to be delayed or cancelled rather than experience ANY of the problems I've had on other carriers. :birthday:
And no I'm not a huge AA.com fan...I fly them cuz their hub is where I live...DFW. However other carriers fly in and out of here so I could choose any carrier I wanted for the most part."

My worst commercial flight was up the great rift valley in Africa in the '70's, flying over Rwanda and Burundi who were yet again blasting hell out of each other, when our plane was shelled in the air. It was quite something to see explosions all around and in front of us, and wondering what a hit would feel like. I've also had some "moments" when flying privately, like the time I took off from a village airstrip in France rather severely overloaded, and had to swerve around the church and other high buildings because I couldn't climb above them!

What have been your worst flights?

#2 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:16 AM

Umm no offense Peter but remind me NOT to fly with you! (I'll meet you there lol).
Worst flight? Well just stuck in a middle seat on a Red eye. Maybe a flight with a baby who screamed the whole flight and fell asleep on decent. (my baby lol).
- D
Ain't love a BEACH?

#3 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:21 AM

Other than the fact that I have always been designated to sit in the damned middle seat (not easy!), my worst flight is one of two:

1) Flying from Germany to the US in the back of a C130 cargo plane, strapped in a web seat for 9 hours, and freezing my a$$ off.....

or

2) Several times, while flying into Seattle/Tacoma, we had to do "touch & go's".....literally as soon as our wheels hit the tarmac, they had to power to full throttle & get our butts back into the air because there were planes on the ground, and in our way. Scary the first 2 times, and then I got used to it when flying into Sea/Tac!

On the other side of this question are my best flights ever, and they would have to be the helicopter rides I've been on, but especially while in the Army - skimming just above the desert floor at 120mph with the doors open, following the terrain. Fun!
Posted Image

#4 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:39 AM

1) Flying from Germany to the US in the back of a C130 cargo plane, strapped in a web seat for 9 hours, and freezing my a$$ off.....

Flying from Germany to Qatar during the Gulf War strapped to the floor of a C130 with cargo straps. 13 hour flight. Only saving grace was having several lumpy kit-bags underneath me. :birthday:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,711 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:16 AM

Flying from Germany to Qatar during the Gulf War strapped to the floor of a C130 with cargo straps. 13 hour flight. Only saving grace was having several lumpy kit-bags underneath me. :D

OUCH!!!! :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,711 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:17 AM

My C130 cargo experience does not count...I was an infant in my mom's arms strapped in while we were being evacuated from Tripoli Libya! :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

Damselfish, you can fly with me. Thankfully, I haven't faced any bad flights other than a touch and go on a runway in Arizona, I think. I did have an interesting flight from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman back in the early 90's where the window kept flapping open the entire flight, and then landing on the small grass and bumpy runway. The guy sitting next to me was a pilot, going on vacation. He had twice as much flying experience than the current pilot on the plane.

Best flight was a helicopter ride in Kona...it's very interesting feeling the heat from the hot lava that is flowing on the ground :dance: , and then going to see some AMAZING scenery! :D :thankyou:

-Margaret

#8 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

My worst flight....

then one that ended with both my legs broken !!!

No, I wasn't the pilot ....

#9 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:46 PM

My worst flight?

International or Domestic???

International was flying into Benghazi during the time US citizens were banned. Between the horrible Med. weather and the 6th fleet training guns on us, it was nerve racking at best.

Domestic takes the cake. The former Western Airlines had a bunch of cowboy pilots flying MD-80's. A flight from Tucson to Denver (to get back to Texas) made the films of the "NASA vomit comet" come to real life. You KNOW you are in trouble when the pilots come on the PA system after takeoff and tell you there are thunderstorms ahead so "YA HOO - it will be a great ride" (they actually said this)!

I think the FAA investigated this flight, as multiple injuries resulted from flying baggage from overhead bins. At least there didn't appear to be any diving equipment or camera housings on this flight!

This may explain why I, like the Wench, tend to fly AA or their partners whenever possible. Location of the hubs and quality of equipment and crews!

UP diver
:P
"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#10 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

Angel & Charter SD Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Board Status:Planning my next dive trip!
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

Yikes!!! After reading all of your posts, my "bad" flight experiences pale in comparison. I'm feeling very humbled and VERY grateful. My sister claims that her worst experience is finding a poopy diaper in the seat pocket in front of her. Seriously. :lmao:
Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.Benjamin E. Mays

Have a question...get an answer. Email: angels@singledivers.com

#11 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:52 PM

Having an engine suddenly stop at 800' agl. The supercharger distintegrated, causing a big back fire, which blew the carburetor off the top of the engine, into the top cowling, followed by an impressive sheet of fire coming over the canopy. Even more interesting, that was the only engine. At night.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#12 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:22 PM

Having an engine suddenly stop at 800' agl. The supercharger distintegrated, causing a big back fire, which blew the carburetor off the top of the engine, into the top cowling, followed by an impressive sheet of fire coming over the canopy. Even more interesting, that was the only engine. At night.

Show off! :lmao:

Attached Thumbnails

• 208.gif
  • 169.gif
  • 27.gif

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#13 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:43 PM

Yikes!!! After reading all of your posts, my "bad" flight experiences pale in comparison. I'm feeling very humbled and VERY grateful. My sister claims that her worst experience is finding a poopy diaper in the seat pocket in front of her. Seriously. :lmao:

:birthday: That IS a nightmare!!! I don't know what I'd do if I was on that row watching someone change a baby at the seat...ugh!

#14 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:58 PM

Worst flying experience would have been at the 2005 Boy Scout National Jamboree. I was shooting video footage for a staff video when i saw everyone in the bird (Blackhawk) with cat that ate the canary grins (should have been my clue something was up) I was focusing on getting the footage as we were passsing over our program area. Mind you im harnessed in the open door with the camera(10K near broadcast cam) strapped to me when out of the blue the pilot performs a split S (quick sweeping left turn followed by putting the bird on its side and rapidly descending) from 3,000 to about a 1-200 feet off the deck. The footage looked real good when we reviewed it, but I nearly code brown the floor of the bird as i went from sitting on my butt to suspended by bungee cords outside of the bird free falling. Needless to say once that maneuver was done and everyone had a good laugh we had a good rest of the flight and the person that called for that split S was forced to walk the plank that night so it evened the score a bit. funny thing was off all the civilians on the bird for that flight i was the only one that didnt loose lunch on that flight.

As for commercial other then small crampedcoach seats and a couple of run ins with some wicked turbulence all in all I haven't had any problems with commercial aviaition

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#15 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:18 PM

Aside from bad seats/screaming children/bad food/rude attendants/massive delays, these I would describe as my most memorable flights for the wrong reasons:

Coming into land at London Gatwick (routine shuttle from Edinburgh) - lound flash and bang. Everyone screamed and gasped. As we approached the gate, the pilot told us we had been struck by lightening. There was a big black dent on the wing.
Coming into land at the Isle of Man with severe crosswinds on a Shot 360 (nicknamed the flying shoebox). 4th attempt we got down - kind of sideways. that was really scarey!!
coming into land at Calgary in thick winter fog. We circled for 30 mins before we had to land - apparently it had "cleared" but it hadn't - and we didn't have enough fuel to go to next airport. the pilot actually referred us to the emergency landing positions moments before landing. Air Canada pilots are the best - it was compete pea soup and a very bumpy landing - I have no idea how they did it.
Travelling from Sarajevo to Split(Croatia) in an overloaded slovenian military helo. Pilot flew below the mountain peaks, elevating each time to go over the tops. It was like a rollercoaster. I then got on a C130 back to UK - sitting on an industrial refrigeration unit. The ladies bathroom was a bucket behind a curtain.
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users