• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2011 INQUIRY: Palau, Yap, Guam or Hawaii in conjunction with the Truk Trip

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,711 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

Yes its time to look at doing Palau again or Guam for the first time!

It makes sense to add Palau or Guam to our Truk trip since it is one of the routings we can take to get there. We can do it either before the trip or after the Truk trip which is going to be Apr 24- May 1, 2011.

So here are my options:

1. Offer Palau or Guam as a stand alone trip for those who don't want to do Truk
2. Offer Palau or Guam as a combo trip add-on for those who want to do Truk AND Palau
3. Offer Palau or Guam as a landbased so you could do shorter or longer durations and have more flexibility
4. Offer Palau or Guam as a liveabaord so you can have your own floating hotel which is nice but usually about twice as much in price compared to liveaboards. The biggest advantage to the liveaboard in Palau is most dive sites are 30-40 min boat ride which can be used to offgas between dives but for some they feel it limits the amount of diving they can do. I'm not sure the average distance boat ride to the sites in Guam.

So tell me what you want! This is a very strong option for 2011.... are you interested in Guam or Palau for 2011?

Edited by WreckWench, 02 April 2009 - 04:12 AM.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:03 AM

It makes sense to add Palau or Guam to our Truk trip since it is one of the routings we can take to get there. We can do it either before the trip or after the Truk trip which is most likely going to be Apr 24- May 1, 2011.

So here are my options:

1. Offer Palau or Guam as a stand alone trip for those who don't want to do Truk
2. Offer Palau or Guam as a combo trip add-on for those who want to do Truk AND Palau
3. Offer Palau or Guam as a landbased so you could do shorter or longer durations and have more flexibility
4. Offer Palau or Guam as a liveabaord so you can have your own floating hotel which is nice but usually about twice as much in price compared to liveaboards. The biggest advantage to the liveaboard in Palau is most dive sites are 30-40 min boat ride which can be used to offgas between dives but for some they feel it limits the amount of diving they can do. I'm not sure the average distance boat ride to the sites in Guam.

So tell me what you want! This is a very strong option for 2011.... are you interested in Guam or Palau for 2011?

I'd be interested in either Palau, Guam, or YAP.
It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

#3 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:03 AM

It makes sense to add Palau or Guam to our Truk trip since it is one of the routings we can take to get there. We can do it either before the trip or after the Truk trip which is most likely going to be Apr 24- May 1, 2011.

So here are my options:

Two or three days in Guam on the way to Palau as land based legs, then on to Truuk. that's my 2psi :respect:

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#4 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

I'd like to potentially spend a couple of days on truk prior to the liveaboard, that would give time just in case of delays somewhere in route. I also hear there are some dive sites that are done from land that wouldn't be included in the liveaboard.

So I'd prefer to do truk first and then Palau afterwards. If we do Palau first, I would prefer it to be land based.

I have also talked to many guys who dove Hawaii enroute either way also as apparently you can get an extended airline layover. I haven't look into the flights yet myself.

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,711 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:10 AM

I'd like to potentially spend a couple of days on truk prior to the liveaboard, that would give time just in case of delays somewhere in route. I also hear there are some dive sites that are done from land that wouldn't be included in the liveaboard.

So I'd prefer to do truk first and then Palau afterwards. If we do Palau first, I would prefer it to be land based.

I have also talked to many guys who dove Hawaii enroute either way also as apparently you can get an extended airline layover. I haven't look into the flights yet myself.

All good suggestions....

I can see deciding what to do will not be easy to decide...we have as many suggestions as people posting so far. :dance:

I have ascertained that other than relieving some jet lag...the sites are not very far from the boat so unlike MOST liveaboards...if you are late arriving to Chuuk...the boat can just come and get you. :birthday:

Good suggestions....glad we have some planning time... :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#6 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

I want to do Palau and Yap. Not sure about Truk.

#7 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:43 PM

Way far out to promise, but I'm interested. Might need DG to hold my hand.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,711 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:53 PM

The Truk trip is now set and discussion is in THIS THREAD. However for those who may not know...you can dive from 30-130 ft in Truk and see an amazing time warp back into history. We'll have pictures posted soon...but this is NOT a trip just for tech divers....most will be and will enjoy it as a recreational diver who just enjoys diving on history or history that has become amazing reefs!

Posted Image

formerly...

#9 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:28 AM

I'm interested in Palau but I would prefer a liveaboard if that is an option.

#10 bowjunkie

bowjunkie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:56 AM

If your adding to the Truk trip I would like to do Truk first due to the timing :thankyou:
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

- John Adams, 2nd President of the United States

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under..'- Ronald Reagan

#11 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

Kamala -

I would be interested in a late April trip and like Carla, would like to see if a good livaboard is possible. I share the same view as Mark above though, with "it sure is far out there...."

Keep me posted!

UP Diver
:P
"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#12 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

This far out anything is possible but yes to the yap, guam and palau option in addition to truk that would be one heck of a photo trip

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#13 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

I've read some pretty interesting trip reports on Palau and Yap.....but they say if you do land-based on Palau, the trip to/from the dive sites can be up to an hour each way. True??? I still have to find some reports on Guam.

This is shaping up to be very interesting to me, especially since you confirm that Truk is not just a tech diver destination! And to do 2 destinations on the same trip really takes advantage of the time & airfare. :P

So, anybody else who wants to dive a bit shallow can sign up dive with me in Truk!
Posted Image

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,711 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:23 PM

The goal is to maximize the experience for everyone which is why I suggested landbased in the first place. First it can be adjusted for those doing Truk or NOT doing Truk. Second it is significantly cheaper than a liveaboard. And third the dive sites vary in distance from the land based ops but can be up to 40 mins each way...keeping in mind that a great deal of this is your required surface interval anyway.

While I love liveaboards...and I do...just not sure that its the way to go. It is the BEST way to go in my opinion for Truk which is why we are doing it for that part of the combo trip.

Keep researching and let us know what you find. The truk part is set now in stone...what we do around it is not. And again I know that some people will ONLY do the Palau or Guam or Yap part...so for them THAT PART is the prime attraction and that is cool with me too.

Just trying to maximize happiness all the way around.... :P

formerly...

#15 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:10 AM

The goal is to maximize the experience for everyone which is why I suggested landbased in the first place. First it can be adjusted for those doing Truk or NOT doing Truk. Second it is significantly cheaper than a liveaboard. And third the dive sites vary in distance from the land based ops but can be up to 40 mins each way...keeping in mind that a great deal of this is your required surface interval anyway.

While I love liveaboards...and I do...just not sure that its the way to go. It is the BEST way to go in my opinion for Truk which is why we are doing it for that part of the combo trip.

Keep researching and let us know what you find. The truk part is set now in stone...what we do around it is not. And again I know that some people will ONLY do the Palau or Guam or Yap part...so for them THAT PART is the prime attraction and that is cool with me too.

Just trying to maximize happiness all the way around.... :canuckdiver:

We had a great time land-based in Palau - the diving makes everything worth it.

I'm itching to go back to Palau - so that would be my #1, but if things brighten up economically - a Truk/Palau combo would work for me.

DG???? Need help with those Blue Sharks!!!!
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users