• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

I want permission to view you!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 whodunit68

whodunit68

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi AOW, IANTD Intro Cave, 100 total dives
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:34 AM

So...I helped Al Gore invent the internet.

Ok, seriously, I've been around for a while (check the date of birth if you don't believe me :) ) and using the net for a long time but this is weird. I login. I try to view a profile by clicking on someone's name. I'm told "sorry buddy, you don't have permission to view me so stop stalking and get outta here." ok, I'm taking some literary license with this but the permission part is true. I check to ensure I'm logged in and yuppers, up on the top left I'm told "Logged in as: whodunit68." It even offers to log me out with a link next to it "( Log Out )." Ok, SD, stop trying to tell me to leave! j/k

so, I've tried about a half dozen folks ... it woul be great to learn about who you people are. Why can't I click on you? I did check the solved support area and some others and didn't see this so maybe it's user error?
-----
Steve

• "Man is the only animal that can remain on friendly terms with the victims he intends to eat until he eats them."
  • "All animals, except man, know that the principal business of life is to enjoy it."
  • "The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." all 3 by Samuel Butler
  • "Save a life, adopt a shelter pet (http://www.petfinder.com/)"
  • "The secret of life is there ain't no secret and you don't get your money back."-Faith Hill

#2 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:20 AM

So...I helped Al Gore invent the internet.

Ok, seriously, I've been around for a while (check the date of birth if you don't believe me :) ) and using the net for a long time but this is weird. I login. I try to view a profile by clicking on someone's name. I'm told "sorry buddy, you don't have permission to view me so stop stalking and get outta here." ok, I'm taking some literary license with this but the permission part is true. I check to ensure I'm logged in and yuppers, up on the top left I'm told "Logged in as: whodunit68." It even offers to log me out with a link next to it "( Log Out )." Ok, SD, stop trying to tell me to leave! j/k

so, I've tried about a half dozen folks ... it woul be great to learn about who you people are. Why can't I click on you? I did check the solved support area and some others and didn't see this so maybe it's user error?

The answer to the issue you seek is that profile information is protected from the "casual/curious" individuals that role through the board/website. It is but a small way of protecting someones information. That being said, you can take the next step by becoming a premiere (supporting) member, the cost is $35 annually. This will allow you to view member profiles, send and receive PM's (personal messages). If you have seen some of the great trip destinations that we offer or will be offering in the future, Singledivers will credit you back $25 for each trip you join with us.

I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, feel free to e-mail me at: charlies@singledivers.com

Dustbowl Diver
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#3 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:25 AM

Yep, DBD has it exactly right! This is the best way SD found to keep our member's privacy from the rare but out there just-passing-thru pervs from seeing all our personal profiles. Here is more info on the benefits you receive from upgrading to Premier Membership, taken from our FAQ's. Hope this helps!

Memberships:

Single Divers.com is a membership organization. By joining Single Divers.com, you will have instant access to other single and buddyless divers, like yourself, who love diving and want to share the experience. Our unique standard free Membership gives you the opportunity to join in with other scuba-loving singles on fun, exciting, and economical dive trips and read and post on our Surface Interval Message Board while our low-cost $35 annual Premier Membership allows you to have the first opportunity to sign-up for limited availability Single Divers.com travel packages, receive discounts on trips, send private messages to other members, see member profiles as well as search our member databases and have full forum features such as extended mailbox size, photo gallery picture upload capability and other numerous benefits listed below. Professional Members in either diving or healthcare provide subject matter expertise to our community and can offer services to our members while being designated as such in our professional membership category. We welcome Diving Trade/Industry Members who are members of the diving industry who wish to offer our members their expertise as well as share product and service specials with our organization. We also welcome Business Members who are non-diving related who wish to offer our members their products and service specials in connection with our organization. Our special Charter Members help guide and shape the future of Single Divers.com and receive a custom email on the SingleDivers.com email platform.

Please choose the membership option that best fits you and WELCOME!!! We are glad to have you as part of our family!

PLUS as an added benefit your premier membership fees will be guaranteed back in savings to you when you take your first Singles trip with us! And you'll continue to receive $25 to $50 off every trip you take with Single Divers.com during your active membership period!

Standard Members receive for FREE:- The opportunity to join in with other scuba-loving singles on fun, exciting, and economical dive trips all over the world enjoying group and individual activities on dive trips specifically designed for single and buddyless divers. (Discounts are available on every trip for Premier members and above so consider upgrading for additional savings.)
- The ability to see who is going on a particular trip before signing up as well as interact with them before the trip via the Surface Interval Message Board.
- The ability to read and post on our Surface Interval Message Board.
- The ability to complete a non-commercial user profile so that other members can get to know you.
- The ability to post a user profile, profile picture and avatar, and view our photo galleries.

You can upgrade from a Standard Member to a Premium Member at any time by going to MY CONTROLS and clicking on 'Paid Subscriptions' function under the Options Heading in your left Control Panel. Then follow the payment prompts choosing paypal for instant premier membership or postal/mail for sending a check, faxing a credit card auth form or other form of payment. Upon receipt your account will be fully activated.

To become a Standard Member, Click here to Register and complete the form provided. Don't forget to create a FUN DIVING RELATED screen name so we know who you are!
Premier Members receive for a low annual fee of $35:
All benefits of the standard membership plus:
- Ability to send and receive private messages from other members, view user profiles and member databases
- First Access to single and buddyless dive vacation packages (often limited slot availability)
- All group discounts and credits where available when booking a trip with Single Divers.com travel professionals
- Be able to post pictures or attachments into your thread posts
- Travel, gear, and professional discounts from corporate sponsors
- Gear and travel giveaways as available from our corporate sponsors
- Discounts on dive training whenever available on trips
- Exclusive online Dive Trip Search engine access (coming soon)
- Enhanced Surface Interval Forum and message board features such as name change if desired, 500 stored message limit, capacity to send multiple messages at one time, ability to upload unlimited diving pictures in our picture galleries, ability to have your own private picture gallery, ability to upload photos in thread posts, view profiles of other members, non-commercial signature line (4 line maximum; competing website/URL links are prohibited; Website/URL links are only allowed for our Diving Trade/Industry Member), ability to send and read private messages via our system (pms) to and from other members and custom sizing of personal photos to fit avatar and photo upload dimensions
- Fully featured personal photo gallery for upload of your pictures...includes submission into a rotating master photo gallery that all can see on the site!
- FREE classified posting in our 'Swap and Shop'
- Plus UNLIMITED Membership discounts back on EVERY Trip you take with Single Divers.com! The more you dive with us...the MORE you save!

To become a Premier Member, please use THIS LINK to generate your profile and pay for the membership.Don't forget to include your screen name so we know who you are! We can not credit your membership without your screen name!

To Upgrade from Basic Member to Premier Member: Log into the site. Click on MY CONTROLS. Look to the left under OPTIONS and click on PAID SUBSCRIPTIONS. Then follow the promts to upgrade to a Premier Membership. Note: Click PayPal payment will do an automatic upgrade via paypal. Click on post/postal if you wish to pay via check or direct credit card to SingleDivers.com

Posted Image

#4 whodunit68

whodunit68

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

ah ha! This makes perfect sense and I appreciate the good will you offered by providing me with details and not just a RTFM. thanks for that.

I'm slightly ...umm....unsure. Single Divers is a site for divers who are single (single meaning single, solo, alone, lonely, hermits, etc)...while I agree in principle with the idea of being able to "protect" folks from having casual profile voyeurs, such as me at this point in time, view their profiles, wouldn't it be more prudent to allow Joe Shmo paying member the ability to control that? I've seen that on other sites where I could control who sees my info (and on one or two sites, what level of info).

Now, here I am, the casual user so far...I'm strutting along down Internet Alley and hooked a left on Website Way. I arrived at SingleDivers.com after turning right on Clickable Lane. I'm working to decide if I want to eMingle with the interesting and more interesting folks of SD. However, I don't really know anything about the community and I'm told if I want to learn about the people here, whip out your credit card buddy and show me some love in the form of dollarooos!

I'm a huge fan of supporting a good cause and I'll do a short evaluation and so far, I've enjoyed the little I've read about the site and the people. The interactions have been VERY pleasant and ....oh my goodness should I say it? ok...the "f" word...they've been FUN.
I wonder about the demographics, geographics, and read any monographic (ok, so I'm overly "graphic" today :wakawaka: ).

It is a challenging balance to reach. Just a thought....maybe the message can be a link to a "membership" page rather than a "go away" page? I hope this is read in the lighthearted way it is intended and isn't offensive...I'm just having some fun with my queries.
I'll go see if there's a feedback forum. thanks for the help!
-----
Steve

• "Man is the only animal that can remain on friendly terms with the victims he intends to eat until he eats them."
  • "All animals, except man, know that the principal business of life is to enjoy it."
  • "The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." all 3 by Samuel Butler
  • "The secret of life is there ain't no secret and you don't get your money back."-Faith Hill

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:05 PM

Great questions...probably ones best for me to reply too!

We are working on a msg that says please upgrade to view people's profiles or create photo galleries or private message other premier members instead of the generic Permission Denied message.

You can see member photos next to what they post and yes that is the biggest teaser we offer right now for a variety of reasons but privacy and the protection of the members being foremost. Seems spammers, hackers, predators and creeps will not give us any financial information and hence this added feature keeps the site SAFE for all our members but especially our women. As a result a number of our trips have MORE women than men on them...aka Fiji and I think Bali/Wakatobi for starters. And you'll see a large number of women active on the site which is also nice! :wakawaka:

So just keep cruising the site and reading posts and you'll soon get the feel for whether you like it or not. Your premeir membership gets you fairly hefty discounts on gear and merchandise as well as access to our wholesale travel services. So its really not about the money...its about keeping a great idea safe and fun and afloat so that when you can travel with us...we are still around! :tears:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 whodunit68

whodunit68

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for the thoughts/feedback/words. hey, anybody could come up with $25-$35...I'm a creep and I could do it! Seriously though, while I do understand the principle...ah nevermind, you all get it pretty well and I thank you for your patience so far.
I'm please to hear of the good things you're doing and continuously working on this project. The photos don't mean so much to me...no need for blond and petite and female (not necessarily in order of priority :wakawaka: ) as a dive buddy.

Looking forward to seeing more good stuff here...I do love the idea. I'm looking forward to seeing how it manifests itself. thanks again,
Steve
-----
Steve

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the thoughts/feedback/words. hey, anybody could come up with $25-$35...I'm a creep and I could do it! Seriously though, while I do understand the principle...ah nevermind, you all get it pretty well and I thank you for your patience so far.
I'm please to hear of the good things you're doing and continuously working on this project. The photos don't mean so much to me...no need for blond and petite and female (not necessarily in order of priority :tears: ) as a dive buddy.

Looking forward to seeing more good stuff here...I do love the idea. I'm looking forward to seeing how it manifests itself. thanks again,
Steve

We understand...but the other aspect of this is that we keep the site free of advertising for which our memberships subsidize that ability. And it makes us different...you get what you pay for and in the case of 'FREE'....you get TOO MUCH for the most part...

I know I know...most of the guys WANT to be spammed by beautiful ....er ....ANY women! :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#8 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

:wakawaka: Steve. You are hilarious. Do you have consersations with little fish too?

#9 whodunit68

whodunit68

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:49 AM

:thankyou: Steve. You are hilarious. Do you have consersations with little fish too?

Hello Urchin of the Sea (new brand of Sea Vegetable?),
Thank you! I laugh with myself often :lmao: ...

I have conversations with little fish and with big fish. I'm not so prejudiced as to avoid the big fish. They have egos too ya know.

My open water instructor told me that you recognize nitrogen narcosis when you try to give your regulator to a fish. I hear they don't need them anymore.

BTW, Mighty Urchin, I'd love to go read about you (remember, I'm a stalker/voyeur who happened by!) but unless you're on America's Most Wanted, I don't have permission to know anything!
Is your profile worth $35 to read? :)

Seriously, thank you.
Steve

Edited by whodunit68, 21 April 2009 - 02:49 AM.

-----
Steve

#10 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:10 AM

:thankyou: Steve. You are hilarious. Do you have consersations with little fish too?

The question is: Do the fish answer back? :lmao:

To answer the OP question. Even if we allowed user control, it would probably be set to 'not view' by default as many users do not know how to modify profiles to that extent. Many don't even complete filling out the profile. So 90+% would still be inaccessible. Probably higher.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:16 AM

:lmao: Steve. You are hilarious. Do you have consersations with little fish too?

The question is: Do the fish answer back? :)

To answer the OP question. Even if we allowed user control, it would probably be set to 'not view' by default as many users do not know how to modify profiles to that extent. Many don't even complete filling out the profile. So 90+% would still be inaccessible. Probably higher.

Thank you oh mighty cyberelf!!! But if I recall correctly our particular set up does not feature user control like you are suggesting whodunit68.

Now about those fishes??? :thankyou:

formerly...

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

BTW, Mighty Urchin, I'd love to go read about you (remember, I'm a stalker/voyeur who happened by!) but unless you're on America's Most Wanted, I don't have permission to know anything!
Is your profile worth $35 to read? :lmao:

Seriously, thank you.
Steve

YES IT IS! And then the rest of the other 5362 profiles would be FREE!!!

Just admit it...you really really really want to do this! I'm sure there is 10 step program someplace to help you with this...I think they call it "men afraid of committing to something like $35"...or something like that! :thankyou:

formerly...

#13 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

The question is: Do the fish answer back? :lmao:

Hey, hey. We KNOW how to modify our profiles, we're just too lazy. :)
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#14 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:29 AM

Dear Steve,

In the diving industry, a single diver is a buddyless diver. Although this is not a dating site (our hook ups are to the tanks), some of us have found our SO through trips or functions put together by WreckWrench. Most of us hang out NOT to Date but to Dive and if we do hook up with each other, it wasn't her fault.

The water is warm...dive in,

Que :thankyou:

#15 bowjunkie

bowjunkie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:09 AM

:lmao: ya'll are crackin me up !!!!!! Welcome to the board Steve hope you enjoy your stay :thankyou:
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

- John Adams, 2nd President of the United States

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under..'- Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users