• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive Pranks.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

Boilerplate notice: Diving is a dangerous sport, and pranks can cost someone their life. Do not attempt anything that is outside of your safety grasp.

With that said, we all know that over the years, you play jokes on people (and get jokes played back on you.) Let's share!

I'll start things off.

Everyone knows about the joke where you place a tennis ball hidden in someone's BC. As they descend, the ball explodes.

Or as our very own Kamala likes to do, as you are diving, she will sneak up and try to loosely attach a small line to your rig. Then she will get above you and pose in a 'ride 'em cowgirl' style as someone takes a picture. (At least she tried that with me.) :lmao:

Or, if you want, bring a small amount of milk and a cigar with you underwater. Then, put the milk in your mouth and slowly spit it out as you hold the cigar to your mouth. It will look like you are blowing out smoke underwater.

So, these are just a few to get the ball rolling....
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#2 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

A bit different, but still an underwater prank. Years ago I did a week's diving with an op in Key Largo. They had a girl doing an internship to become an instructor and wanted to test her in a real-life crisis. As I hadn't dived with her and she didn't know me they asked me to pose as an inexperienced and nervous diver. Just to be myself, in fact :lmao:

So I worked on this over a couple of dives, giving her and anyone else not in the know that I really didn't have a clue and I was an accident waiting to happen. That made her very attentive of me. So then I started to lose buoyancy control and hyperventilate, and finally right in front of her at around 50ft I grabbed my BC inflator and rocketed towards the surface. I didn't want actually to end up in a chamber or worse so I made a big show of being out of control whilst still trying to moderate my rate of ascent. She did get to me, but only at around 15ft, then she held me there for some minutes before finally surfacing me and calling to the boat for immediate assistance. As she said afterwards, the first inkling she had that all was not as it seemed was the boat crew's singular lack of urgency in providing help. They let her get me to the boat without any assistance, and only once I was at the ladder did they tell her she'd been had.

It was the first time she'd ever had to deal with what she thought was a real emergency, and she told me afterwards it had been a real wake-up call. Cost me a few beers, but I did get free diving for the rest of my stay!

#3 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:42 PM

I'm not a big fan of pranks underwater but I have one good friend and dive buddy who while not underwater is a bit of a character...loud, likes to embarrass others...all in fun. Not the kind of person I usually hang out with but this person is actually a nice guy.

He also has A.D.D and is a completely different person underwater. He used to always accuse me of humming underwater when we were on night dives when we got to around 100 fsw or so. Initially, I wasn't doing anything but eventually I did start humming on and off without looking at him. It did mess with his head for a while until he figured it out.

We also were on a similar dive when we came upon a sixgill shark...8 foot and probably 600 lbs or so. He was right next to the shark within touching distance. While he was looking at it I grabbed him as if to shove him into the shark. I didn't really shove...just grab and bump at bit. When we got out he said I thought we said we weren't going to play pranks underwater. I said no, we agreed that you weren't going to play pranks underwater. :D

In a similar vein to Peter's story, I was asked to help an instructor with her DM class. The DM candidate was to lead a dive with two "students" which were the instructor and I. The instructor played the diver with poor skills and I came up with my own role...good diver who is no problem until at the worst possible moment they just take off.

I would swim where he could see me, good buoyancy, did what he told me to do, while she (the instructor) lost her fins, had poor buoyancy control, always needed help, etc. Once he dealt with her and turned his attention back to me ... I was always there. Until the next time she had a problem that is, then when his attention was diverted I would get right on top of him in his air bubbles and do whatever I had to do to stay there. It took him quite a while to find me.

Then I would be the good diver again until she had another problem then I would take off in the opposite direction just to the edge of visibility and then I would just stop and look at something until he would grab the poor diver and chase after me.

By the end of this "experience dive" the DM candidate was quite worn out.

Otherwise, I don't really have too many stories in this category.

Edited by gcbryan, 05 October 2009 - 03:43 PM.

#4 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:55 PM

I was on a recreational dive with a friend of mine. ( I won't use her name or she'll beat me up again) :teeth: Several divers were doing practice deco stops and safety stops when I was ascending and the line was full. So when I got to the gaggle I just let go and did a free ascent past the deepest of those hanging who I also know. I waved and exchanged ok's on the way by. when I got to about 15 feet my buddy was holding the line concentrating feverously on her gauges. knowing she did not see my approach and that my free ascent in rather good form if I do say so myself was also being observed.... Well the devil made me do it :D I slid up over her where I wrapped my legs around her waist, grabbed her tank valve in one hand and I spurred and whipped with my free hand like it was the national finals rodeo. Both guys that saw it flooded their masks from laughing so hard. :D

And yes she beat me when we got back on the boat.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#5 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:43 PM

Okay, here's a safe prank that a former dive buddy of mine used to pull.

Jack (dive buddy) had about a bazillion artifacts from ships. Sometimes when we were diving a wreck, he'd bring a small artifact with him and leave it somewhere on the wreck. Of course the piece had already been restored, so it stood out like a sore thumb, so invariably someone would "recover" it. It's amazing how many divers didn't pick up on the fact that the artifact had been restored. Sometimes Jack would reveal the secret, and then there were the other times.

Rick

:D

The race is not always to the swift, but that is where to look.-Hugh E. Keough

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

(At least she tried that with me.) :teeth:

Sorry Moose but I SUCCEEDED!!!! And there are pictures by Zach to prove it! :D

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 timalso

timalso

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:instructor
  • Logged Dives:350

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:00 PM

While out diving in the local quarry we like to put a hot dog in the back of a fellow divers bcd. The Bluegills are all over this diver and he or she will finally realize whats going on and everyone just starts laughing until all of our masks are flooded.

#8 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:32 PM

Not really an intentional prank - but I like to keep my light off during a nite dive. My buddy on one FG dive, who is a member and thus will remain nameless - was very unhappy when I was so dark I managed to get a shark to get pretty close to us. Didn't mean to startle her, but it did... to her credit she didn't bolt, but she was ready to disown me.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#9 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:36 AM

(At least she tried that with me.) :teeth:

I'm an eyewitness. She did. :D

(I probably used half my air on that dive clearing my mask from all the UW laughing fits.)
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#10 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:36 AM

(At least she tried that with me.) :D

Then you need to produce the photos. I know I caught you doing it, but I'm pretty sure no pics were taken! :teeth:
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#11 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

Then you need to produce the photos. I know I caught you doing it, but I'm pretty sure no pics were taken! :teeth:

WRONG!!! You caught her taking it off...

Been holding onto these for some time... :D

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010232.JPG
  • P1010231.JPG

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#12 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:11 AM

If you do one of those shallow water stingray dives ie stingray city GCM, get some bait that the DM hands out and swim up to your victim and accidently bump into them and smear the bait on the back and top of the tank. The smell will attract the rays to aproach the divers from thier blind side.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#13 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:41 PM

on a trip to Cozumel, I brought a giant fake spider, this thing was about 2 feet across. I hid it in my BC and then when we were diving my buddy and I went into a little swimthrough where we stopped and I pulled it out and wrapped it around his head. When we came out the other side the DM was waiting for us, when he saw that thing wrapped around my buddies head, I thought his eyes were going bug out of there sockets...
Sea Turtle advocate!

#14 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

and then there was the time that a group of nine of us all brought womens bras and panties of various degrees of nastiness and when we were on the bottom we all put them on over our wetsuits... you should have seen the reaction from other divers diving the same dive site.. pretty funny!
Sea Turtle advocate!

#15 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

While I personally did not participate in this prank, I think that the winner has to go to the makeover of Netmage's "Hello Kitty" tank. Some of Tim's friends, regulars of our CCR dive group, did this to Tim's tank after Tim accepted the offer to recondition his tank. Tim's Tank Makeover
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users