• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Effects of nicotine & smoking on divers

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:56 PM

This is an excerpt from Dive Training Magazine, March 2009.
The article in its entirety is entitled "Diving Over the Counter: what divers should know about nonprescription medications Part Two", Authored by Alex Brylske

Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette

Most discussions of nicotine highlight the health effects of smoking, like cancer and emphysema. But diseases are the result of chemicals in cigarettes other than nicotine. The fact that nicotine alone is an extremely toxic poison is rarely addressed. It even comes as a shock to most folks that nicotine is also sold commercially in the form of a pesticide, which is its role naturally in the tobacco plant. It takes only about 50 milligrams or 0.002 of an ounce of nicotine to kill an adult. In fact, if all the nicotine of a cigarette was absorbed, it would take only three or four to do the job. The reason nicotine toxicity does not occur in smokers is that only about one or two milligrams are absorbed from smoking a single cigarette.

Nicotine, like caffeine, is a naturally occurring alkaloid, an organic compound made out of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and sometimes oxygen. It's also only one of the more than 4,000 chemicals found in tobacco smoke and smokeless tobacco products, but it's the primary component that acts on the brain. The addictive nature of nicotine was suspected as early as the 1940s, and regardless of the lies told by tobacco executives, it has been proven so conclusively. In fact, its addictive prowess is on par with drugs like heroin and barbiturates.

Nicotine changes how the brain and body functions, and its effects are paradoxical - it can act as both a stimulant and a sedative - depending on how much and how often it's taken. Nicotine can be delivered to the brain with incredible speed, within 10 seconds of inhaling tobacco smoke. Once in the bloodstream there is a "kick" caused, partly, by the drug's stimulating the adrenal glands to release the "fight-or-flight" hormone epinephrine (adrenaline). This, in turn, causes an increase in both heart rate and blood pressure along with rapid, shallow breathing. The adrenaline rush also causes a sudden release of glucose. Furthermore, nicotine suppresses insulin output from the pancreas. Because this is the hormone that tells your cells to take up excess glucose from your blood, smokers are in almost a continuous state of slight hyperglycemia. Maintaining more sugar in the blood is one reason some may find smoking an appetite suppressant.

Nicotine also indirectly causes a release of the neurotransmitter dopamine in the brain regions that control pleasure and motivation. This is a reaction similar to what's seen with other addictive drugs such as cocaine and heroin; and it's what's thought to underlie the pleasurable sensation of smoking.

Another effect of nicotine is that it appears to slightly increase the basal metabolic rate. In other words, it makes you burn more calories than normal when you're at rest. But before you go take up smoking to lose weight consider this: Nicotine also increases the level of "bad" (LDL) cholesterol, which increases your risk of heart disease and stroke (to say nothing of the risk of cancer and other diseases from the other compounds contained in tobacco smoke). Studies have also documented that nicotine causes hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis) in mice.

Of course, the problem with tobacco is not just nicotine but the other insults to the body created by smoking. Smoking is unquestionably a bad thing for anyone to do, but for divers it's especially foolish. First, tobacco smoke contains significant amounts of a gas that we go to great lengths to avoid - carbon monoxide. Smoking just prior to diving results in reduced tissue oxygenation because the carbon monoxide in the smoke binds with hemoglobin more than 200 times more readily than does oxygen. The result: by smoking you intentionally reduce your body's ability to process oxygen. This means that smokers must work harder simply to maintain a normal level of activity. And just before entering the water seems an odd time for a diver to willingly lessen his ability to function at a peak level.

Smoking also has many complex effects on the lungs, which are of no small interest to divers. First, it temporarily paralyzes the ciliary hair cells lining the airways for about one hour after smoking, and can even destroy the cells in chronic smokers. These cells function to remove mucous, dust and other particles in the air we breathe. In addition, smoking causes the production of more mucous than normal. Thus, the added mucus, combined with the decreased ability to rid it, increases the likelihood that a mucous plug could partially or fully block an airway, trapping the gas beyond the blockage. This is unlikely to be a critical issue for most people, but for a diver it can be life-threatening. Any trapped gas would greatly increase the risk of a lung expansion injury such as an air embolism even if the diver is breathing normally and ascending at the correct rate. And this risk isn't theoretical; it has been proven in retrospective studies of divers who've suffered lung expansion injuries after normal dives.

Another factor involving smoking is that at least one study has shown it to cause constriction of airways in the lungs. In fact, only 35 minutes after one cigarette a threefold increase in breathing resistance was documented. It was also demonstrated that a smoker's breathing performance is measurably increased even after as little as 24 hours of not smoking, a good incentive to stop smoking at least the day prior to diving.

Lastly, chronic smoking causes widespread lung damage, reducing the surface area where gas exchange takes place. Especially relevant to divers is that this causes a breakdown of the walls between the alveoli, and can give rise to the formation of air sacs termed bulla. These regions of trapped gas can present a significant risk of lung expansion injury for divers who smoke.

So, the conclusion is obvious: Don't do it.
Posted Image

#2 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:02 PM

Reminds me of one particular diver I had diving with Protech. I wouldn't let anyone smoke on my boat, but he brought along a waterproof pack holding a few cigarettes, and on a calm day he'd jump into the water first and light up while he was waiting for the other divers too assemble and go down. Then as soon as he hit the surface at the end of the dive he'd light up again, only throwing the cigarette into the sea as he climbed the ladder.

#3 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:06 PM

On Sunday, Oct. 11, I will celebrate being 2 years smoke-free. The reason I made my mind up to quit? Diving. That's it. No other reason. I learned about gas exchange and how smoking inhibits diving performance and increased air embolism and DCS hit possibilities, and decided that I was not going to let a habit that was "quit-able" kill me while doing my favorite thing.....diving.

Since quitting, I have literally DOUBLED the amount of time a tank of air will last me underwater. In addition, I find I am able to deal with the strenuous activities of diving without panting for air (i.e. lugging my gear around, shore diving, and climbing back into a boat with gear on).

Best of all, I can hang out with all the other divers and not have to dash off by myself for a quick smoke, and miss any of the fun.

After 30 years of smoking, once I made up my mind to quit, I used the FinalSmoke system and within 3 days, I was smoke-free and didn't need the FinalSmoke system anymore. I have not wanted a cigarette since.

To those who want to quit, I offer any & all support I can provide to you. It is well worth the effort, trust me!
  • Elias likes this
Posted Image

#4 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

Well done!!

#5 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:02 PM

Congratulations Tammy! I've never had the desire to smoke, and am uncomfortable when in a room or confined space where people are smoking, so I've never had the struggle. It seems like it is such a difficult thing for people to quit though, once they have the habit... I have to give kudos to anyone who is able to quit and continue to stay smoke free. Way to go!!

#6 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:55 AM

I was a frequent smoker starting the end of my senior year in high school. A group of us swimmers did it after our final season ended so we could be cool (swimmers don't have the status of football, basketball and baseball players).

I watched an "adopted father" (our school's business manager) die of lung cancer my first year out of college. It was difficult for me and a number of our students. I was able to quit that year, but unfortunately resumed a few years later. I finally quit for good in 1975. Best decision I ever made.

It astounds me why we allow a concoction of toxins like this to be sold to the public... and it irritates me that I have to be subjected to the second hand smoke of others. I do have to remember that I did the same decades ago. Fortunately cigarette smoking is not very common in our part of California these days. I am sensitive to the fact that cigarette smokers are largely addicts just as I was and that quitting is a very difficult thing.

#7 coziac

coziac

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:24 PM

30 YEARS, … and now smoke free? !! That is kick-ass LLD. Good for you and a huge congratulations!

I was a smoker too, much of my adult life, but like you once I decide to do something I can be a poster child for stubbornness. I talked and talked about quitting (that was part of my plan all along) to convince my sub-conscious that it was going to be easy. Smart uhh? I know!

My plan, as genius as it was, had a problem. Not so much a problem as a snagg, … more like …. snagglettes. One was a buddy of mine who kept telling me I was going to gain 20 to 30 pounds. I already weighed more than I ever have in my life, and two was a nurse I was dating kept reminding me that only 1 in 4 actually quit! Some supporting cast uh?

Well after talking and talking to myself, (no not actual conversations) for months yes months and yes literally, I decided it was going to be a lot like praying. Get down, get humble, get honest, then get up off your knees and doing something about it! So I dropped the cigarettes, dropped 20 pounds, and dropped the nurse. Good things really do come in 3’s!

That was nearly a year ago, on my birthday, and there is no doubt that I’ll never smoke again.

To anyone that wants or even thinks they want to quit, I guarantee you that you can. It’s your personal walk through a mine field, you have to take the steps, but there are people and ways to help guide you. You just have to figure out what’s the best way for you. One thing for sure, no matter what, it’s worth it.

#8 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:02 PM

On Sunday, Oct. 11, I will celebrate being 2 years smoke-free. The reason I made my mind up to quit? Diving. That's it. No other reason. I learned about gas exchange and how smoking inhibits diving performance and increased air embolism and DCS hit possibilities, and decided that I was not going to let a habit that was "quit-able" kill me while doing my favorite thing.....diving.

Since quitting, I have literally DOUBLED the amount of time a tank of air will last me underwater. In addition, I find I am able to deal with the strenuous activities of diving without panting for air (i.e. lugging my gear around, shore diving, and climbing back into a boat with gear on).

Best of all, I can hang out with all the other divers and not have to dash off by myself for a quick smoke, and miss any of the fun.

After 30 years of smoking, once I made up my mind to quit, I used the FinalSmoke system and within 3 days, I was smoke-free and didn't need the FinalSmoke system anymore. I have not wanted a cigarette since.

To those who want to quit, I offer any & all support I can provide to you. It is well worth the effort, trust me!

:wakawaka: Land-locked.Trying to get around on the prairie here.As I just quit in Feb of this year,through 3 sessions of Hypnosis. I am dam determined never to return to nicotine again.I too have noticed the improvement of air qty. used & my stamina. Any time I smell smoke ,I think about those poor monkey's strapped to a machine,sucking the life out of them,for research sake.Regard's and regards
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#9 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:57 PM

Since this topic first arose recently I've been watching the people I come across day-to-day. I would say that at least 90% of those people who are under 30 smoke heavily and quite inconsiderately. Above 30 the %age drops markedly, to perhaps 40%. Still way more than I would expect to see in Britain.

#10 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:13 PM

Interesting, considering that the colonies started growing tobacco in the States to supply the need in Britain many years ago!

The statistics of the young ones smoking and the older ones not makes sense. The older one gets, the wiser one gets! Thoughts of our mortality start creeping in, so we start taking better care of ourselves.

Sorry they're so inconsiderate with it in your area, Peter.
Posted Image

#11 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave2 and Tech2/Meg
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:04 AM

Resurrecting this thread bc it had some good information in it...

Tammy, thanks for posting the leading article. It's been almost 10 months since I quit and I've lost about 30 pounds... as someone else said in the thread, it CAN be done.

What struck me about the article, though, was the information on nicotine. I've been doing the Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) lozenges and although the idea is to wean off of them a few months after you quit, I've slowed down but not stopped THE LOZENGES (have totally quit smoking). My doctor is ok with this approach, specifically stating that she didn't care if used them for the rest of my life as long as I never smoked again. And that has been my thought process, as well... until I read this thread. After first thing in the morning this past Saturday I spent the whole day in the water and didn't even think about NRT until I got in the car for the long drive home, so I guess I am getting to the point where it's more mental than physical. I guess it's time to start thinking about getting off the NRT!

Thanks for making me think this early in the morning!

Edits:
Clarifying that I've totally quit smoking, just not quit the lozenges.
On a side note: Went to Costco last night and bought a bunch of Altoids and what I plan to be my last purchase of lozenges, though... going to try to go to the Altoids first!

Edited by Kate P, 28 September 2011 - 04:34 AM.

How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

#12 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

Kate as my post had indicated,I used a hypnosis.Much to my surprise ,it was sucessful.As of today I'm still free of the addiction/smoking.I don't think there is another habit o break that is harder.Hats off to you losing some lbs..I did gain a few ,but managed to level off.That was a excuse I used,in not quiting.
Good Luck on your journey

Resurrecting this thread bc it had some good information in it...

Tammy, thanks for posting the leading article. It's been almost 10 months since I quit and I've lost about 30 pounds... as someone else said in the thread, it CAN be done.

What struck me about the article, though, was the information on nicotine. I've been doing the Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) lozenges and although the idea is to wean off of them a few months after you quit, I've slowed down but not stopped. My doctor is ok with this approach, specifically stating that she didn't care if used them for the rest of my life as long as I never smoked again. And that has been my thought process, as well... until I read this thread. After first thing in the morning this past Saturday I spent the whole day in the water and didn't even think about NRT until I got in the car for the long drive home, so I guess I am getting to the point where it's more mental than physical. I guess it's time to start thinking about getting off the NRT!

Thanks for making me think this early in the morning!

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#13 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:08 PM

I like Tammy quit for one reason and that was diving. I decided to get certified 17 years ago and stopped smoking the day that I did my first open water dive. I was one of the lucky ones however and it was very easy for me to quit. I threw that last pack in the trash and never looked back. I find it interesting however that so many divers smoke, in particular those in the business. There was a point some years back where I would actually ask the trip operator if the boat allowed smoking and if it did I would not book. Fortunately that has gotten better and now I usually see a smoker or two on the boat, it is seldom the majority of divers on the boat.

Good job to everyone on her that has quit.. Keep up the good work!

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#14 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave2 and Tech2/Meg
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:38 AM

I like Tammy quit for one reason and that was diving. ..

Interestingly enough, diving was what finally did the trick to get me to quit. For one thing, one of the organizations I train with doesn't allow smoking (will pull your card) and for another, moving into tech/cave diving, there is no way I want to be compromising my health by smoking. Makes it a no-brainer. But I didn't realize nicotine was so bad too, so now I really need to quit that, too! My new goal is to be off nicotine by the time my year anniversary rolls around.
How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

• Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

I like Tammy quit for one reason and that was diving. I decided to get certified 17 years ago and stopped smoking the day that I did my first open water dive. I was one of the lucky ones however and it was very easy for me to quit. I threw that last pack in the trash and never looked back. I find it interesting however that so many divers smoke, in particular those in the business. There was a point some years back where I would actually ask the trip operator if the boat allowed smoking and if it did I would not book. Fortunately that has gotten better and now I usually see a smoker or two on the boat, it is seldom the majority of divers on the boat.

Good job to everyone on her that has quit.. Keep up the good work!

Jim

I've been surprised at how many DM/Instructors smoke. Seems like half the liveaboard crews I've seen smoked. That is hard for me to imagine, but my plant is now smoke free everywhere within the gate, so I don't see much smoking anymore. The union lost that one, insurance company won.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users