• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

New TSA rules regarding international travel back to US

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

We'll see what it's like when I return from Western Australia next week.

I'm reduced to one rucksack on my back carrying a laptop, camera, couple changes of clothing and my medical records and prescription drugs from my hospitalization here--including crutches, xrays and letters from the local hospital detailing that I really DO have metal screws and whatnot embedded in my broken ankle to aid in healing now.

Not worried about the local Aussie authority--but the insanity that is TSA gives me considerable pause as I try to get home. Some of the drugs are self-administered in pre-filled ampule form, so I don't know if TSA will allow them on the aircraft or not with my Aussie letters for the final leg of my journey.

PPM

Platy One -

Speaking as an 'ortho poster child' since a nasty MVA many years ago, it makes NO DIFFERENCE what you are carrying as far as documentation of your surgery. Might help with Aussies but TSA simply just doesn't care. They DO care what the metal detectors say (you will flunk, the buzzer will sound and will need to be hand wanded). The other red flag will be your meds - the documentation and Rx paperwork will assist in your carrying these, however you may want to shift from injectables to oral meds. The syringes and sharps (needles) might make the TSA people a little wacko.

If you request your airline to do "meet and assist" when you arrive and change planes, you might come out ahead, too! Practice moaning and making painful sighs, too!

Hey, I have had extensive reconstruction of one hip, both knees and one ankle since BEFORE we had to go through metal detectors. I tell TSA (and any other screeners) that I have metal implants before I go through the detectors so nothing is a surprise. I also usually tell the X-Ray scanner that I have orthotics in my shoes so he or she will not confuse me with a shoe bomber....

Not much fun John, but get used to it! You are now signed on to requiring fifteen minutes longer (on a good day) with TSA on every visit until you have the implants removed!

Good luck on your return trip. Now don't you wish you had followed the Squid's advice and signed up for the Global Entry program?

UP Diver
:thankyou:

Edited by UP Diver, 30 December 2009 - 12:29 PM.

"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#32 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:16 PM

Friendly reminder...

Several posts have started to push the lines of our TOS...please continue to keep your conversations respectful and on topic.

Thank you! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#33 hambergler

hambergler

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:475

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

Platypus, most of my right leg is titanium and stainless steel from two separate racing incidents. TI rod with stainless screws in the femur, the tibia is held together by an 8" stainless plate & screws, and my medial malleolus has two stainless screws. The TI rod and the medial malleolus are from the first incident about five years ago; the first time I flew I was badly disappointed that no metal detectors went off. After the tibia plate almost two years ago, I was sure alarms would sound--no joy. I think you're safe, unless you have something more dense.

On another note, I'm still undertaking HHFR on your behalf, occasionally in my PIHHR T-shirt.

Edited by hambergler, 30 December 2009 - 09:33 PM.

I'm growing older but not up,
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck.
Let those winds of time blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.

#34 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:20 AM

Platypus, most of my right leg is titanium and stainless steel from two separate racing incidents. TI rod with stainless screws in the femur, the tibia is held together by an 8" stainless plate & screws, and my medial malleolus has two stainless screws. The TI rod and the medial malleolus are from the first incident about five years ago; the first time I flew I was badly disappointed that no metal detectors went off. After the tibia plate almost two years ago, I was sure alarms would sound--no joy. I think you're safe, unless you have something more dense.

On another note, I'm still undertaking HHFR on your behalf, occasionally in my PIHHR T-shirt.

The Institute thanks you for your ongoing research effort. :cool2:

I guess I should make up some more of those PIHHR shirts--they've been a hit with all of the Field Researchers recruited so far.

PPM

#35 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:18 PM

TSA and the airlines LISTENED when people wrote to them voicing reasonable and well thought out objections. A few voices can be very powerful in this manner. I am thankful for those who did so prior to my own objections sent earlier today. Apparently my predecessors were successful without my input, however I feel better having sent it. Kamala

Sorry, Kamala, but TSA and DHS have NEVER listened to reason, nor have they ever rescinded any airport rule they have started.

Thus we are stuck removing our shoes (because of one failed attempt -- when the guy had so many red flags up indicating that he should NOT have been allowed to board in FRANCE), having our quart size "Kippie-zip" bags with our toiletries and your unopened water bottle confiscated (courtesy of some wackos in London), etc. Now because of a seriously stooopid guy (setting your crotch on fire!) that I like to call the "panty-bomber", the US is going to lead the way to more insane and stupid regulations that will not increase air safety one bit. He had a one-way, cash paid ticket, no luggage AND his father reported him to the authorities in Nigeria as a potential terrorist risk.... what more could you need to require more screening on an individual.

As for all the Israel screening comments, I really do not want to go to the airport 3-4 hours before any flight I take so I can be interrogated (flying now is enough of a pain). Israel gets away with such screening because the people there are willing to put up with that. It is wrong to assume that just because you have a certain skin color that you should have to get extra screening each and every time you fly. Having a secure cockpit and passengers/crew willing to "take out" a passenger up to "no good" are better deterrents than anything else.

When the cargo in the plane's hold is screened, then the most serious loophole in the "security theatre" will be started to be closed.

#36 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

As for all the Israel screening comments, I really do not want to go to the airport 3-4 hours before any flight I take so I can be interrogated (flying now is enough of a pain). Israel gets away with such screening because the people there are willing to put up with that. It is wrong to assume that just because you have a certain skin color that you should have to get extra screening each and every time you fly. Having a secure cockpit and passengers/crew willing to "take out" a passenger up to "no good" are better deterrents than anything else.

When the cargo in the plane's hold is screened, then the most serious loophole in the "security theatre" will be started to be closed.

Robin, profiling is the ONLY method to safely screen passengers, no matter what. Once a plane is in flight, any security is too late. If this last guy had been a little brighter, he could have succeeded.

What I find amazing is that London is installing the body scanners in the airport, yet in the same breath, they admit that it WOULD NOT have stopped this latest attempt.

Technology can only go so far. Until we have real accurate lye detection, profiling and interviewing is the only method.

And just so we are clear, it’s not about getting to the airport 3 hours early to have a long interview. The airports in Israel have trained staff that can accurately identify deception within the first few questions. Then they start o drill with more questions only if they feel you are being deceptive. If you are a regular traveler, you will breeze through the questions (in less time then it takes to get your boarding pass and often at the same time.)

Just because their skin color is different is irrelevant. The questions generate only a “best guess” then those people are screened more thoroughly.

I, for one, am willing to put up with slightly longer lines if it means REAL security. Nothing pissing me off more than all the “dancing” that they do now to NOT make my flight safe.

But then again, I wouldn’t object to everyone having to be naked in order to fly! 8>)
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#37 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

Robin, profiling is the ONLY method to safely screen passengers, no matter what. Once a plane is in flight, any security is too late. If this last guy had been a little brighter, he could have succeeded.

What I find amazing is that London is installing the body scanners in the airport, yet in the same breath, they admit that it WOULD NOT have stopped this latest attempt.

Eric,
I don't think that profiling is the ONLY method to safely screen passengers in the US, as there are just too many airports and flights vs only one main airport for all of Israel, and there is 1. no way the guberment would ever have enough qualified screeners to handle all the passengers that pass through a major US airport. 2. the cost would be too much, to employ such trained interrogators, 3. it still will not stop someone who is bound and determined to do something to a plane. 4. TSA already has explosive detecting technology at every checkpoint, aka the lovely "swab" test.... it would be more reasonable to swab each passenger + their belongings and run the swab than to "profile" each passenger. 5. The cargo is still unscreened (a 9/11 report recommendation).

Bottom line is that there are risks in everything you do (or do not do) everyday, the likelihood of being on a plane that crashes (for whatever reason, not only due to persons intent on making it crash) is extremely low.

And I for one do not think that flying naked is a very good option, as they make the temperature in the plane too cold, even when we are allowed to be dressed.

#38 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

And I for one do not think that flying naked is a very good option, as they make the temperature in the plane too cold, even when we are allowed to be dressed.

Really, it looks good to me...

Warning, only click on this link if you are over 18 years old, AND have a sense of humor!
http://www.megageek....55?OpenDocument
Moose

#39 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:50 AM

Really, it looks good to me...

Warning, only click on this link if you are over 18 years old, AND have a sense of humor!
http://www.megageek....55?OpenDocument

Eric,
While the only backside visible is not a "blinding" sight, those who are seated would certainly be likely to make one want to gouge out their eyes.... :thankyou:
Plus, I thought that cold temperatures had a significant effect on some of those rather interesting parts in a negative way?!

#40 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

BOHICA well it looks like air travel is going to get even worse now, and pervert vision will be used even more and probably as a primary screening method.

hmm might be time to get a pilots license, and driving more to avoid this BS.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#41 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:02 PM

BOHICA well it looks like air travel is going to get even worse now, and pervert vision will be used even more and probably as a primary screening method.

hmm might be time to get a pilots license, and driving more to avoid this BS.

Now there Dan, you know the name is the "Nude-O-Scope".

At least they realize the the guberment agencies who should have detected the panty-bomber's security issues were asleep at the job, AND the EWR evacuation cause video has hit the nightly news!

#42 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:47 AM

:unsure: , I've come close to doing the full monty at times,just to speed things along.In spite of the temp,there's always blankets.The one policy I think is going to be a problem is the 1 hr stationary rule.There is bound to be someone who is "GOING to HAVE TO GO !" As for the 1 bag carry on rule,by the time I have my Dc,reg's & Netbook & a Camera,that pretty much eliminates anything else,to push/carry around.The gub's don't evalute our travel issues,"Cause & Effect".They over regulate & don't use common sense for the issues , that are valid.I hope the "screen machine" is a move forward.
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#43 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:57 PM

Just came through LAX from Vietnam - No fuss, no long lines, no hassles, no worries, no frustration.
It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

#44 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

Just came through LAX from Vietnam - No fuss, no long lines, no hassles, no worries, no frustration.

Actually, that is what I would expect, since NON US airports aren't all buying into the insanity.

It's LEAVING the US that I imagine will be the worst part.

My friends at 2600 put together a guide of activities to do while you are stuck in your seats for the "last hour." :birthday:

Here it is...

http://funwithtsa.com
Moose

#45 JustRuck

JustRuck

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:25

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

I was in Germany earlier this year. When I flew back I first landed in Chicago. Even though I was in civilian clothes, I got to go through a seperate, much shorter line at customs since I am military. It was great walking past about 500 people stuck in their line. I wonder if I can pull that off coming back from belize into houston.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users