• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

SD gets a new look...

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

good ones, PPM!

Sparky wanted to suggest "Plotz With Envy!", but I talked him out of it.

PPM

#32 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:11 PM

I'm in the camp of don't change the saying "Why Dive Alone?"

it's simple and exactly what this site is all about - why dive alone if you don't have to? I think it's more inviting and inclusive than exclusive

While a part of me agrees with you, I truly think that it just MAY be time for a change in our saying as well as a change in the logo.

If it's good enough for major companies to do--like ATT for example--then it's good enough for us, as well.

PPM

#33 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:27 PM

I don't like the yellow.

I do like the new tag line "more fish to sea".

I LOVE what you've done with Buddy and the whole dot thing!

#34 DiveGeek

DiveGeek

Special Projects Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Board Status:Getting back into the swing of things
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, IANTD Normoxic Trimix Diver
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:03 PM

#s 3 & 4 are too similar to the current logo, so they're out for me. I feel that the "Why Dive Alone?" tagline is a significant part of the brand so that leaves out #1. So, my winner is #2.
"When you shoot underwater, you have limited time, subject matter that rarely sits still, let alone cooperates, and exposure that changes moment to moment. It's a place where you have to constantly wrangle light, composition, subject and depth, and then find a way to be creative." - Eric Cheng

#35 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:13 AM

I actually like Gar's Originally version where Buddy is a little bit longer and less round before you changed it for this current "original" version. Gar's fish was more the focus of the logo with less waves and bubbles.

You need to consider who your intended target and what direction you want to take Singledivers.com. Rogest artwork is more commercial screaming Rogest making it harder to claim that SD do not generate enough profit.

The current logo still represent a diving club with artwork from a previous member while Rogest suggest you have enough money to spend on marketing to a different group of commercial clients.

#36 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:16 AM

WOW! Awesome input so far on all fronts.

Some background...

The original idea was not to lose our identity as we plan to use the new logo in conjuntion with the old one. The old one is not going anywhere...but I wanted to separate our 'travel booking business' with another logo. Well we don't have too but I thought it would be nice if we did since Rogest did most of 'buddy' as a gift. We've helped him over the years and he repaid us in kind.

Que makes a good point...Rogest is hot right now and MANY diving entities have redone logos in his style so to totally go Rogest-ish would make us more like everyone else than different. And we truly are different and always will be that way.

However in that unique difference having some variety is also nice which is my intent. Ultimately I would like to offer his logo on a t-shirt and we'll post some ideas for you to choose from as well. And perhaps some notecards or calendars...50% of the sales go to OUR favorite charity so Rogest is using his art to make a difference...and that has always been important to me.

As for the original logo being done by one of our members...Que is absolutely correct. Gar aka BluBlood designed our original logo. It had 2 fish in it...one purple and one pink and it looked more dating-ish so I saved it for our couples diving website which I have not released yet. And yes buddy has gotten a bit rounder (LOL haven't we all) as certain artwork was created for dive mag ads etc. It wasn't until Dan aka Scubatooth came along that we removed the blue box out of the background (it used to have a shadow box background and the lettering faded from turquoise to white along the bottom.) and made all the lettering white. Dan also puts the logo into the millions of configs I need it in to do any printing we do. And he is helping me to establish our very own unique colors...the logo was originally very turquoise and purple but over time its migrated to more blue and purple which makes the printing costs a fraction of what they would be.

So all in all the logo is a creation of our members which is very fitting! This site has never been about anything BUT OUR MEMBERS and their gift of time and participation to make it the success it is today! :wakawaka:

Rogest has become an honorary member hence his gift of his artwork. And he knows I did not want to do a radical change but he offered his insight regardless so we could see additional possibilities which many of you like.

My thought was to have a compatible look using Rogest's gift as part of our ability to express ourselves as members. If you like the new look of buddy you can wear him on a t-shirt in some new funky designs vs the traditional shirt I did that was ONLY designed with one thing in mind...if I am approaching an airport gate and I'm looking for another SD member or for WW how will I find her....JUST LOOK FOR THE LARGE SD LOGO ON THE FRONT OF THE SHIRT!! :cool1:

As for taglines...printing is an amazing thing...if we have artwork we can do anything we want. Rogest is happy to supply us with artwork so we'll have some flexibility. And we have the talents of Dan aka Scubatooth and others so this gives us some fun stuff to play with. At least I hope that is the case.

Thank you all for your input...I certainly look forward to more! And yes I'm open to a variety of suggestions...and while we may not change much permanently...we can certainly try on a new look and see how it fits...sort of like playing dress up... :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#37 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:01 AM

Since some additional color has been added into some of the new design concepts, have you given thought to incorporating a dive flag into the mix?
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#38 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:39 PM

WW

Sounds like i need to get my notes out and start writing all of this down, as i like some of the ideas coming down the pipe. Thank you for the kind words, I dont mind Im just glad i could help through the use of my time and talents. I never expected to get any props for it as im more of a behind the scenes type that doesnt like to be in the spot light to much.

as long as the words are not being done in Dots then there are a infinite number of variations that could be done. if its being done in dots thats a different story. I just need to know the list so that I can work on the variations and the files.

I do agree that #1 the main background color needs to be changed as that yellow is way to loud.

Edited by Scubatooth, 11 February 2010 - 12:43 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#39 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:50 PM

The words are the fonts we sent them to use so not dots.

Of course if we go with anything different and it ends up in print...it needs to be something people will buy! Having said that...I also have to like it! :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#40 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

I do agree that #1 the main background color needs to be changed as that yellow is way to loud.

It's not that the yellow is too loud, but as divers do we really need to be reminded of what we all do in our wetsuits??

I'm just sayin'.... :lmao:
Posted Image

#41 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

Swim??

#42 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:40 PM

It's not that the yellow is too loud, but as divers do we really need to be reminded of what we all do in our wetsuits??

That is what OTWDiver said when he saw that one! :teeth:

I did still kinda like it which is why it made the final four...

formerly...

#43 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:08 PM

There two types of divers... Those that admit it and those that lie about it.

the other one i pulled the logo into photoshop and the yellow doesnt convert to well to black & white real well without work.

Who am i to argue, i just do the Wenchs bidding :teeth: , and what makes her happy is all that really matters in the end.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#44 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

So far, I don't see anything that could be interpreted as a trend. Kamala, when all is said and done, it may come down to your making an executive decision.

Rick

:lmao:

Genius is the ability to make something very complex seem very simple.-Brian Wilson

#45 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:18 PM

So far, I don't see anything that could be interpreted as a trend. Kamala, when all is said and done, it may come down to your making an executive decision.

Rick

:lmao:

Genius is the ability to make something very complex seem very simple.-Brian Wilson

Yeah...it seems our members are all over the map on this one. But maybe we'll get more input before I have to decide. k

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users