• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2010-07: Dive on History...NC's Graveyard of the Atlantic July 2-6, 2010

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#61 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:15 AM

Everywhere I look on this thread folks are asking for 100 rentals. In the rush before leaving for Bonaire, I said 80 rental on the tank. Please explain whether I should change to 100s. How will this affect weights, time diving, bcd wing adjustment, plane in water, etc. Recommendation? :birthday:

Rodney the entire dive will be 80 to 100ft or MORE. So MORE AIR IS NEEDED. Only very small and usually female divers should use an 80 when 100's are so readily available. Some dive ops use 80's just to ensure the dive is short for most divers. :teeth:

A steel 100 tank will allow you to take 4 pounds off your belt. It will allow you to max out your bottom time with plenty of gas for safety margin. It will not otherwise affect trim except by putting a few more pounds on your back you'll be more trim in the water.

My suggestion is to upgrade to one...I am! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#62 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:00 AM

Payment Update:

1. Ed aka DiverEd ww got $200 with no cc fees on 3-11 and $106 on 3-15 with partial fees. Your trip total is $750 for 3/3 and $114 for nitrox 100's rentals + $25.92 fees = $889.92 for entire trip via cc leaving you a balance of $583.92. :birthday:

Document Update:

1. Ed aka DiverEd: Received your Survey! :teeth:

Edited by ScubaPunk, 16 March 2010 - 07:12 AM.

#63 divengolf

divengolf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech + Rescue + Solo; 500+ dives; Mostly Photo.

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:15 AM

Everywhere I look on this thread folks are asking for 100 rentals. In the rush before leaving for Bonaire, I said 80 rental on the tank. Please explain whether I should change to 100s. How will this affect weights, time diving, bcd wing adjustment, plane in water, etc. Recommendation? :birthday:

Rodney the entire dive will be 80 to 100ft or MORE. So MORE AIR IS NEEDED. Only very small and usually female divers should use an 80 when 100's are so readily available. Some dive ops use 80's just to ensure the dive is short for most divers. :teeth:

A steel 100 tank will allow you to take 4 pounds off your belt. It will allow you to max out your bottom time with plenty of gas for safety margin. It will not otherwise affect trim except by putting a few more pounds on your back you'll be more trim in the water.

Hey Roomie,

Let me second Kamala's suggestion. My personal tanks are steel 100s and I dive them off Carolina all the time. As Kamala said you get more air plus ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL you can take some weight off due to the weight difference vs. an AL 80. But remember that you'll probably need more rubber. When I dive Carolina, I switch to a 5 mil full suit plus a hood and don't change my weight. The extra 4-5# of the steel tanks offsets the thicker suit. Plus the steel tanks remain negatively bouyant the entire dive.

I saw where you were delayed substantially getting home on Sunday. I was delayed a little, but not as bad as you. Enjoyed the diving. Hope to see you on another trip soon.

Harry

#64 ArtRunScuba

ArtRunScuba

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver. 18 liveaboards
  • Logged Dives:675

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:41 AM

Rodney the entire dive will be 80 to 100ft or MORE. So MORE AIR IS NEEDED. Only very small and usually female divers should use an 80 when 100's are so readily available. Some dive ops use 80's just to ensure the dive is short for most divers. :P

Hey Roomie,

Let me second Kamala's suggestion. My personal tanks are steel 100s and I dive them off Carolina all the time. As Kamala said you get more air plus ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL you can take some weight off due to the weight difference vs. an AL 80. But remember that you'll probably need more rubber. When I dive Carolina, I switch to a 5 mil full suit plus a hood and don't change my weight. The extra 4-5# of the steel tanks offsets the thicker suit. Plus the steel tanks remain negatively bouyant the entire dive.

I saw where you were delayed substantially getting home on Sunday. I was delayed a little, but not as bad as you. Enjoyed the diving. Hope to see you on another trip soon.

Harry

Please upgrade me to the rental steel 100s. Thank you Kamala and Harry for the information. Sounds like wearing my 6 pound backplate and using the rental steel 100s, I may not have to use any weights with my 3mil plus 3mil vest and hood. However, is there any increase in salinity that would affect buoyancy when diving this area of the Atlantic which is impacted by the Caribbean gulf stream, which would also affect buoyancy issues? :teeth:

#65 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

Hello all,

This will be my first N.C. diving. The last couple of posts spoke about a 5 mil suit, and doubling up with a 3 mil suit. Presently, I have a 7 mil farmer John, and a 2 mil / 3 mil suit. The 7 mil has to be far too heavy, but I am now questioning if the 2/3 is sufficient. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ed

#66 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

Hello all,

This will be my first N.C. diving. The last couple of posts spoke about a 5 mil suit, and doubling up with a 3 mil suit. Presently, I have a 7 mil farmer John, and a 2 mil / 3 mil suit. The 7 mil has to be far too heavy, but I am now questioning if the 2/3 is sufficient. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ed

I'd certainly be monitoring the water temps. When I did this trip two years ago, the temps at depth were in the mid 70's, and there was a noticable thermocline at about 50 feet. I was told that was unusual as the gulf currents normally keep it warmer than that.

I dove with my 3 MM and a hooded vest. You might want to look at an additional layer just in case, or at least a hood.

#67 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:50 PM

Hello all,

I'd certainly be monitoring the water temps. When I did this trip two years ago, the temps at depth were in the mid 70's, and there was a noticable thermocline at about 50 feet. I was told that was unusual as the gulf currents normally keep it warmer than that.

I dove with my 3 MM and a hooded vest. You might want to look at an additional layer just in case, or at least a hood.

Correct! We will need to monitor as we get closer! Temps can be low like Georoc01 experienced or very warm...low to mid 80's. We'll keep you posted! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#68 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

Thank you George and Kamala. Mid 70's at the bottom does not sound much different that late winter in the Caribbean, and I should be OK with what I have. I will bring a hood tho. Ed

#69 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:06 PM

These are the temps I had last year in Morehead City on the dives I did.
On May 23-25 I did 6 dives and had 74 degrees as the warmest and the rest were 69 degrees.
My next dive was on the 4th of July and the temp was 76 on the U-352. Only one dive that trip
I did two dives on the 19th of Sept and both dives were 79 deg
I hope this helps out

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#70 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:26 PM

Thank you Jerry. Having a range helps a lot. I understand that the temps will be a bit different every year, but at least I know what to expect. Ed

#71 sparky103

sparky103

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:180

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:53 PM

I am be confirming that I will drive in with my own tanks(100's w/1st fill) and stay an extra night , but I'm sure that Punkie will ask me something else :) :)

Jeff

Edited by sparky103, 16 March 2010 - 08:55 PM.

There's a fine line between stubborn and stupid. Pete Dexter

There's hope,  just not for us. Franz Kafka

When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself. jacques-yves cousteau

I rise every morning torn between the desire to save the world, or to savor the world. E B White

In three words I can sum up life: It goes on. Robert Frost

#72 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:13 AM

These are the temps I had last year in Morehead City on the dives I did.
On May 23-25 I did 6 dives and had 74 degrees as the warmest and the rest were 69 degrees.
My next dive was on the 4th of July and the temp was 76 on the U-352. Only one dive that trip
I did two dives on the 19th of Sept and both dives were 79 deg
I hope this helps out

Last year was COLD! Unless it warmed up more in August. YIKES! I'm used to low 80's from July onward!

formerly...

#73 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:01 PM

Payment Update:

1. Kate aka KateP: Received your payment for $309.00 :)

Document Update:

1. Kate aka KateP: Received your Waiver! :o

Edited by ScubaPunk, 23 March 2010 - 08:14 PM.

#74 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave2 and Tech2/Meg
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

Flight Update:
Atlanta - New Bern Thursday July 1: Leave ATL 8:30p/Arr EWN 10:01p
New Bern - Atlanta Monday July 6: Leave EWN 5:55p/Arr ATL 7:33p

Staying in MHC at parent's house Th night. Will be doing the "driving" package but can add on a day at the hotel Mon pm if needed so someone doesn't have to pay for a single.

Will not have a car so may be contacting Diver Ed to see what form of bribery would most effective for one or more airport runs :-)
How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

#75 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:49 PM

Flight Update:
Atlanta - New Bern Thursday July 1: Leave ATL 8:30p/Arr EWN 10:01p
New Bern - Atlanta Monday July 6: Leave EWN 5:55p/Arr ATL 7:33p

Staying in MHC at parent's house Th night. Will be doing the "driving" package but can add on a day at the hotel Mon pm if needed so someone doesn't have to pay for a single.

Will not have a car so may be contacting Diver Ed to see what form of bribery would most effective for one or more airport runs :-)

Hello Kate,

I am up on Long Island for a few days visiting friends and family, and will be at the BTS show Saturday. Will be home Tuesday, and may not be online much until then. Although there is no need for bribery, I will be amused to hear of the attempts anyway. Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users