• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

New Underwater World Record

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:10 PM

Story

The water is fine
BY JOE GERAGHTY
BRISTOL HERALD COURIER
Sep 2, 12:00 AM EDT

HAMPTON, Tenn. – World-record-holder Jerry Hall probably would stay underwater forever if he could.

The scuba diver from Bluff City has been at the bottom of Watauga Lake long enough this week to shatter his old Guiness world record of 71 hours, 29 minutes and 42 seconds for longest underwater submergence on scuba.

And on Wednesday, the day before he was expected to surface, Hall announced that he felt good enough to remain below the surface even longer than the 94 hours, 9 minutes originally planned.

"Due to Jerry’s excellent mental and physical condition, as well as his determination, he is committed to continue his dive," said Jim Bean, his dive captain.

Hall plans to stay underwater as long as his health and safety aren’t compromised. The dive is dedicated to raising money for the Southern Appalachian Ronald McDonald House charities and he hopes his longer dive will bring in more money.

His team members were enthusiastic and optimistic throughout the day Wednesday as they watched the bubbling surface of the green, murky water at Fish Springs Marina.

"His spirits are up and he’s physically in great shape," Bean said. "He has no pain, no discomfort."

When Hall set his original record in 2002, his feet and hands shriveled, causing him a lot of pain toward the end of the dive.

This time he is using a product manufactured by Blue Lizard in Johnson City that keeps the pain to a minimum.

At the end of his last dive, Hall had difficulty readjusting to the force of gravity on dry land. Bean said that could be a problem again, particularly as he stays underwater longer and longer.

Beyond that, however, Hall should suffer no health problems related to his prolonged dive, he said.

Frequent visits from the surface along with music piped in through underwater speakers have kept Hall occupied. Dive team members said the greatest difficulty Hall faced last time was sheer boredom.

"After the first eight hours, it’s 98 percent mental," said Barry Burton, the diving instructor who certified Hall to scuba-dive five years ago.

With a checker board for entertainment and a La-Z-Boy chair to sleep in, though, Hall has just about everything he needs on the lake floor.

Vicky Hall sat on the dock at the surface Wednesday and has spoken to her husband via radio. She doesn’t dive and said she has no plans to learn how.

"I’m afraid if I start diving he’s gonna try to get on of those husband and wife world-record dives," she said, laughing.

Bean said he’s not sure how much longer Hall can stay under, but from a supply standpoint the diver will have to surface sometime Friday at the latest

#2 JulioJoglar

JulioJoglar

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:40 PM

71 hours!! Wow, that's a lot of shrinkage!

#3 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:45 PM

71 hours!!  Wow, that's a lot of shrinkage!

Now, Julio. remember- things appear 25% BIGGER underwater. I think that's his real motivation. :-D
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#4 JulioJoglar

JulioJoglar

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:48 PM

yup...I think so. 25% eh? That will motivate me too!

#5 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:51 PM

Ahem. The operative word is appear. If they were bigger, do you think his wife would be waiting on the shore?????
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#6 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 02 September 2004 - 09:24 PM

Ahem. The operative word is appear. If they were bigger, do you think his wife would be waiting on the shore?????

Hmmm, but if his wife was hot would he be living underwater? LOL :-D

#7 mvillanueva

mvillanueva

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI. Varied diving to date: Freshwater wells, Catalina, Oahu, and Kona. And one night dive
  • Logged Dives:32!

Posted 02 September 2004 - 09:47 PM

71 hours!! Wow, that's a lot of shrinkage!

I agree.

To paraphrase Dr. Peter Venkman (Ghostbusters)

"It's true. The man has no scrotum."
Cap'n Lobo Stripper the Peglegless

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 September 2004 - 10:18 PM

Hey gang...our own member TSSPLASH will also be attempting this world record attempt! My support goes to him! kamala

Our very own attempts the World's Record for Longest Dive!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 03 September 2004 - 11:46 AM

Hmmm, but if his wife was hot would he be living underwater? LOL :dancing:

There is always "The Rest of The Story"! :lmao:
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#10 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 03 September 2004 - 11:53 AM

[DISCLAIMER: What follows is a comment that could potentially and erroneously be misconstrued as misogynistic. It is relayed solely for illustrative purposes and in no way is meant to convey any acrimony toward the fairer sex. Opinions do not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Actual milage may vary. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. We now return to our regular programming.]

And just remember the Cardinal Rule of Dating: "No matter how hot she is, somewhere out there is a guy that's sick of her crap."
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#11 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 07 September 2004 - 10:04 PM

[DISCLAIMER: What follows is a comment that could potentially and erroneously be misconstrued as misogynistic. It is relayed solely for illustrative purposes and in no way is meant to convey any acrimony toward the fairer sex. Opinions do not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Actual milage may vary. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. We now return to our regular programming.]

And just remember the Cardinal Rule of Dating: "No matter how hot she is, somewhere out there is a guy that's sick of her crap."

True

very true

now tell that guy to get out of my way and let me have a shot

(Brad Pitt, i'm talking to you there buddy)
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users