• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What to do for OTWDiver's 50th Birthday????

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:21 AM

Hey gang...

Bill aka OTWDiver's 50th birthday is THIS FRIDAY the 2nd. His kids were planning him a party and then going camping since one of his son's birthday is 2 days later. However his other son just got a new job so now can no longer join the party and camping. Bill being a sweetheart said it was ok and he would just treat his birthday like any other day and work.

Well I find out that George aka Georoc01 will be taking his sidemount class from Bill on Friday and Saturday so I have the makings of a party for him. The son that has the birthday after his day should participate as he is not a planner so I have at least 3 including me.

Now the trick is to decide what to do. Since I was told not to plan a party as his kids were I did not worry...it was taken care of. Now its being left to do 'nothing' which doesn't work in general and particularly not for a 50th!!!

So any ideas? Suggestions? Ways to help make it a really special day??? Keep in mind a few things...I live 45 min to an hour to the nearest party store so getting things will be challenging. I also do not have a lot of time to pull something together but I want him to always remember his 50th birthday!

Thanks for you your help! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

Cutting it a bit close arent we? geez wish you had told me this info this past weekend It would have been a perfect weekend to throw a party (at a happy hour no less).

Hmm now i really feel bad, does bill like rum?

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#3 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:46 PM

Kamala,

I don't have a clue what you want to do, but if I can help, let me know. I'll be driving down tomorrow from Charlotte tomorrow night so if you want me to pick up something let me know. My flight leaves Denver at 1pm your time tomorrow, and you have my number so feel free to call me with any help I can provide.

BTW, he picked the dates, they just happened to work for me because of the Easter holiday where I am off work tomorrow and Friday.

#4 scubabeat

scubabeat

Getting started

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:Many

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:06 PM

Look for a swimming pool deep enough so he can dive in it, place a huge cake with 50 burning candles on an island made of Styrofoam, maybe even with a fake palm tree on it. Put a nice bottle of wine or champagne at the bottom of the pool and let him get it in full diving gear. Also let him blow all candles, I'm sure he loves it. Just an idea. :cool1:

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:25 PM

Cutting it a bit close arent we? geez wish you had told me this info this past weekend It would have been a perfect weekend to throw a party (at a happy hour no less).

Hmm now i really feel bad, does bill like rum?

Dan I ONLY found out last night... :cool1:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

Look for a swimming pool deep enough so he can dive in it, place a huge cake with 50 burning candles on an island made of Styrofoam, maybe even with a fake palm tree on it. Put a nice bottle of wine or champagne at the bottom of the pool and let him get it in full diving gear. Also let him blow all candles, I'm sure he loves it. Just an idea. :cool1:

NOW YOU ARE TALKING!!!

Wonder if I can get George to ask to do the first part of his practice in a pool...I don't want to attempt in the Hot Hole!!! LOL!!

formerly...

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:28 PM

Kamala,

I don't have a clue what you want to do, but if I can help, let me know. I'll be driving down tomorrow from Charlotte tomorrow night so if you want me to pick up something let me know. My flight leaves Denver at 1pm your time tomorrow, and you have my number so feel free to call me with any help I can provide.

BTW, he picked the dates, they just happened to work for me because of the Easter holiday where I am off work tomorrow and Friday.

Hey George...THAT does not surprise me. He does not think about things like that! LOL! :cool1:

As for help...I love the pool idea...I will call you or you can call me...let's talk! k

formerly...

#8 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:45 PM

To keep my position on the good side of the wench i will hold my comments, but a birthday even if celebrated a little early isnt a bad thing especially with friends

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#9 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

To continue on the pool idea -- after Bill retrieves the wine (forget the dive gear, he can strip down to his drawers and dive for it!) and he blows out all the candles, then you kick everybody else out of the house, go inside, feed each other cake and drink wine in creative ways, do a strip tease (or just dance for him) and then EXHAUST HIM. If he doesn't remember a nite like that, there's no hope! :cool1:
Posted Image

#10 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:21 PM

K,sounds like you woman have a plan.On such short notice.Maybe plan B .If there is a local place you patronize.Have what family and friends meet there un be knowst to Bill.SURPRISE.Make up a story that everyone is tied up & its just you & him....Good Luck & have Fun!!!!
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#11 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:36 PM

To continue on the pool idea -- after Bill retrieves the wine (forget the dive gear, he can strip down to his drawers and dive for it!) and he blows out all the candles, then you kick everybody else out of the house, go inside, feed each other cake and drink wine in creative ways, do a strip tease (or just dance for him) and then EXHAUST HIM. If he doesn't remember a nite like that, there's no hope! :P

Two words, hee hee! :cool1:

#12 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:37 PM

To continue on the pool idea -- after Bill retrieves the wine (forget the dive gear, he can strip down to his drawers and dive for it!) and he blows out all the candles, then you kick everybody else out of the house, go inside, feed each other cake and drink wine in creative ways, do a strip tease (or just dance for him) and then EXHAUST HIM. If he doesn't remember a nite like that, there's no hope! :cool1:

:P

To take a line from Cass "Brown Chicken... Brown Cow"

#13 justscuba

justscuba

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT, EFR INST,HSAI
  • Logged Dives: about 2250 cert 1973

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

WOW....my birthday is in September do you want me to remind you?????? I like your party HEHEHHEHEHHE

#14 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:31 PM

Kamala,

1. Ban him from logging into SD.com, because your "cover" will be blown.

2. I am entirely certain that you can come up with a very "personal" manner in which to celebrate his B-day. :P No suggestions from anyone here is necessary. Yes.... I mean that....... (you fill in the blanks)

3. If you are still not certain, then give me a phone call....

Happy Birthday, Bill!!!

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:35 AM

"Personal" is not the problem....however timing is. He has scheduled himself all day with work so getting some time will be challenging...NOT impossible but challenging. He mentioned going to dinner with George so I'm building on that and have invited all the people I know to join us. (Similar to Greg's idea only I have cooked pans of his favorite dish so will have everyone here since the nearest restaurant is soooooooooooooo far away.)

He won't log into the site cuz George will keep him busy and if he does he will most likely only see his birthday greeting tomorrow. I can also move this thread just in case...I have the power! LOL! :P

And finally I'm not sure we can do the pool deal but I do like it cuz it will totally surprise him. Just need to figure out where styrofoam is on short notice...I used to have a pile of it at my house in TX but not here. I will see if I can find a place that gets it in shipping boxes...or even a blowup cake...SOMETHING!

Thanks for all the great ideas... uwfan had a great idea to compile what has happened over the last 50 years on his birthday. Being one day removed from a fool...he is a good sport and I will be able to get away with most anything! :birthday:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users