• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The next airline fee is here....

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

Here's the question though. Spirit is also known to sell tickets for $19 each way, a ticket that normally costs me $400 RT. So if your ticket costs 10% of price on a full service airline, how much in additional fees for everything from bags to food would you be willing to pay? And those fees you don't pay until you fly vs months in advance.

Mind you i would never fly spirit due to there practices, and how they treat people like SLC (Self Loading Cargo).

I have yet to actually be able to get one of those $19 one-way fares to actually make it to the reservation stage without a price change. Spirit now seems to be offering "$1 fares". On top of that they throw in a Fuel Sur-charge (YQ) on alot of flights that US carriers dont charge on domestic tickets, then there are the federal excise taxes, 9/11 security fee, passenger facility charges and what not it racks up quickly.

Then here is a list of other charges that Spirit tacks on.
Checked bag fees $19-25 per bag
Carry on bag fee $20-45 -- Plus the dimensions that there using are less(40 inches) then the standard 45 linear inches the rest of the world goes
Seat assignments upto $25 in advance.

What your saying is the trap alot of infrequent travelers fall into is that they see that low airfare and think they have hit a gold mind, when if they looked at the over all picture and cost they would see that its not a good deal. When im booking tickets i look at the whole cost of the ticket (ticket, bag fees, overweight fees, etc) yes it might be a little more expensive upfront for that ticket but In the long run it is a better deal.

Edited by Scubatooth, 03 August 2010 - 12:40 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#62 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

What your saying is the trap alot of infrequent travelers fall into is that they see that low airfare and think they have hit a gold mind, when if they looked at the over all picture and cost they would see that its not a good deal. When im booking tickets i look at the whole cost of the ticket (ticket, bag fees, overweight fees, etc) yes it might be a little more expensive upfront for that ticket but In the long run it is a better deal.

Dan,My .o2psi. The old adage of "You get what you pay for".There is a saying I picked up a long time ago. It goes like this...
You never get something for nothing,unless someone,somewhere,sometime is getting nothing for something....
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users