• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Funky spelunkey diver meets you!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 funkyspelunker

funkyspelunker

Getting started

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:112

Posted 03 September 2004 - 01:19 AM

Hello All, at the suggestion of Marvel I've decided to introduce myself to you all. So, about my diving history. I started diving as an assignment. As a writer for a travel magazine based out of Thailand called Farang: the Untamed Travel Magazine, I was chosen (against my will) to become the main diving correspondent. You may think this was an honor, but let me give you a little background: My first memory in life is drowning. The editors knew of my aversion (ok maybe downright fear) to water, and so, being the humourous chaps that they are, chose me to do a series of articles detailing my experience traveling around the world and gaining certifications from Open Water all the way through Divemaster. I was terrified at first, and then, slowly....it grew into my greatest addiction. I've done over 100 dives in tropical water in a variety of seas across the world just since last January. I've been diving for a year and a half, and so far I've done: The great barrier reef, Oahu, Maui, Big Island, Cozumel, Belize, Sipadan Malaysia, Indonesia including Bunaken and Lembeh Strait, Gulf of Thailand, Cuba, Bahamas, Cebu Negros and Bohol in the Philippines, British Columbia and Puget Sound in Washington State. OK, you probably all hate me now, but I'm just a good natured chap who got thrown into this whole thing. I am actually headed to Roatan next week to cover my next story. The best part is that all these dive trips are paid for by the magazine, in return for articles and photos detailing the best dives along the way. I am currently a Rescue diver, and I'm stalling the Divemaster cert so that I can prolong the fun (you never know when they'll yank the support for this underwater gallavanting), so lately I've been doing speciatly certifications like Nitrox and Night diver....which I also get to write about. Well, thats my life in relation to diving in a nutshell. I do end up on all these journeys solo, which is why I joined singledivers! :evilgrin:
check out my favorite dive site....on the Web!

Also, if you dive in the Pacific Northwest, check out NorthWest Dive Club

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,715 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 September 2004 - 01:23 AM

Wecome! I'm sorry this reply will be canned so to speak as I usually do an original message for all the new members but I've been on the road for the last 3 weeks and will be gone for the next 2 or so and I'm about 50 greetings behind! Please forgive me for posting the same welcome to all of our latest new members!

I REALLY do hope you enjoy our home on the net...our focus is to offer our members great dive trips all over the world...and of course my personal favorite...NC Wreckdiving!!

We allow single and buddyless divers to dive with others just like them...fun loving scubadiving folks who want to vacation together, save money and have a blast!

If that sounds like you...then jump right in and join us...

2004 Trips and Activities!!!

Or plan to join us in 2005!

Sneak peek at 2005...help us vote here!

Let us know if we can do anything to help you and thank you again for joining us!
-Kamala aka Wreck Wench

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,715 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 September 2004 - 01:24 AM

BTW...congrats on your personal accomplishment to learn to dive despite the background you've had to overcome! Great job!!! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 chinacat46

chinacat46

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 03 September 2004 - 04:03 AM

:evilgrin: to SD.com. Dive in and join the asylum. :cool2:

#5 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 03 September 2004 - 05:25 AM

:evilgrin: to Singledivers Calvin!

Sounds like you have the ideal job! Looking forward to hearing about your upcoming trips :cool2:

WG

#6 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 03 September 2004 - 07:53 AM

:birthday: Calvin.....glad you stopped by and hope that you will call this home. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that are ready and willing to help in anyway, all you have to is ask.

Don't forget to take a look at our website at SingleDivers.com. We are constantly upgrading and would love to see you on one of our upcoming trips.

Again, welcome to our little place on the net where having fun is what it is all about.

If there is anything we can help with to make your stay more enjoyable, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thanks,
-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#7 KConner

KConner

Getting started

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water, working on DIVE CON
  • Logged Dives:57

Posted 03 September 2004 - 07:57 AM

First off...let me assure you that we dont hate you because you have the perfect job. However we are all definately conspiring on how best to assume your identity.

But welcome..great site..and the warmest group of people.
"When you finally see qhat goes on underwater, you realize that youve been missing the whole point of the ocean. Staying on the surface all the time is like going to a circus and staring at the outside of the tent. [Dave Barry]

"From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life." [Arthur Ashe]

#8 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 September 2004 - 07:57 AM

Hee hee- :birthday: Calvin! Hey, don't you think that they'd like to hear a woman's perspective? I'd certainly be available..... :anna:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#9 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 03 September 2004 - 10:32 AM

OK, you're right ... we all hate you. But in a nice way!

Welcome!!
Jamie
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#10 WreckGoddess

WreckGoddess

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Board Status:Studying for Exams (May 1-15th)
  • Cert Level:Master Diver / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 03 September 2004 - 10:36 AM

I new I was in the wrong career field.. Would love to hear about some of your awesome dives.. in places I can only dream of going! :dancing:

Glad you are here!
~Vanessa
"If you gave me several million years, there would be nothing that did not grow in beauty if it were surrounded by water."
~JAN ERIK VOLD, What All The World Knows, 1970~

Check out the next NOVA/DC/MD Happy Hour/Or Local Event

#11 Funewgy

Funewgy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 03 September 2004 - 01:34 PM

Calvin,

I think you sell yourself short when you stopped at "hate". Might I add despise, envy, loathe...the list goes on.

And just between you and me, I am kind of new to sd.com too and these people are really weird. Be careful, be very careful.

Welcome to the board!!!
"Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call" -- J. Buffett

#12 mcgintz

mcgintz

Getting started

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Board Status:In town
  • Cert Level:WASi open Water
  • Logged Dives:31

Posted 03 September 2004 - 01:57 PM

way better then my job.
Where can I sign up
"There are those that dream of sucess and then there are those that wake up and do something about it. " What one are you?

#13 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 03 September 2004 - 03:46 PM

Welcome aboard. And unlike some of the heartless comments that have been made. I don't hate you at all. Just from your writing you seem like a nice, compassionate, caring, smart, well adjusted human being. By the way, any chance of telling your editors that I am afraid of the water also? :dancing:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#14 mvillanueva

mvillanueva

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI. Varied diving to date: Freshwater wells, Catalina, Oahu, and Kona. And one night dive
  • Logged Dives:32!

Posted 03 September 2004 - 04:33 PM

Hello All, at the suggestion of Marvel I've decided to introduce myself to you all.  So, about my diving history.  I started diving as an assignment.  As a writer for a travel magazine based out of Thailand called Farang:  the Untamed Travel Magazine, I was chosen (against my will) to become the main diving correspondent.  You may think this was an honor, but let me give you a little background:  My first memory in life is drowning.  The editors knew of my aversion (ok maybe downright fear) to water, and so, being the humourous chaps that they are, chose me to do a series of articles detailing my experience traveling around the world and gaining certifications from Open Water all the way through Divemaster.  I was terrified at first, and then, slowly....it grew into my greatest addiction.  I've done over 100 dives in tropical water in a variety of seas across the world just since last January.  I've been diving for a year and a half, and so far I've done:  The great barrier reef, Oahu, Maui, Big Island, Cozumel, Belize, Sipadan Malaysia, Indonesia including Bunaken and Lembeh Strait, Gulf of Thailand, Cuba, Bahamas, Cebu Negros and Bohol in the Philippines, British Columbia and Puget Sound in Washington State.  OK, you probably all hate me now, but I'm just a good natured chap who got thrown into this whole thing.  I am actually headed to Roatan next week to cover my next story.  The best part is that all these dive trips are paid for by the magazine, in return for articles and photos detailing the best dives along the way.  I am currently a Rescue diver, and I'm stalling the Divemaster cert so that I can prolong the fun (you never know when they'll yank the support for this underwater gallavanting), so lately I've been doing speciatly certifications like Nitrox and Night diver....which I also get to write about.  Well, thats my life in relation to diving in a nutshell.  I do end up on all these journeys solo, which is why I joined singledivers!   :dancing:

May I carry your cameras and bags?

I'll be quiet and I won't accept tips and I'll never question your judgement or authority.

Please?

Edited by mvillanueva, 03 September 2004 - 04:35 PM.

Cap'n Lobo Stripper the Peglegless

#15 maxdvr

maxdvr

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:s.s.i. centry diver/rescue diver.. padi divemaster
  • Logged Dives:142 at last count

Posted 03 September 2004 - 07:22 PM

Hello All, at the suggestion of Marvel I've decided to introduce myself to you all.  So, about my diving history.  I started diving as an assignment.  As a writer for a travel magazine based out of Thailand called Farang:  the Untamed Travel Magazine, I was chosen (against my will) to become the main diving correspondent.  You may think this was an honor, but let me give you a little background:  My first memory in life is drowning.  The editors knew of my aversion (ok maybe downright fear) to water, and so, being the humourous chaps that they are, chose me to do a series of articles detailing my experience traveling around the world and gaining certifications from Open Water all the way through Divemaster.  I was terrified at first, and then, slowly....it grew into my greatest addiction.  I've done over 100 dives in tropical water in a variety of seas across the world just since last January.  I've been diving for a year and a half, and so far I've done:  The great barrier reef, Oahu, Maui, Big Island, Cozumel, Belize, Sipadan Malaysia, Indonesia including Bunaken and Lembeh Strait, Gulf of Thailand, Cuba, Bahamas, Cebu Negros and Bohol in the Philippines, British Columbia and Puget Sound in Washington State.  OK, you probably all hate me now, but I'm just a good natured chap who got thrown into this whole thing.  I am actually headed to Roatan next week to cover my next story.  The best part is that all these dive trips are paid for by the magazine, in return for articles and photos detailing the best dives along the way.  I am currently a Rescue diver, and I'm stalling the Divemaster cert so that I can prolong the fun (you never know when they'll yank the support for this underwater gallavanting), so lately I've been doing speciatly certifications like Nitrox and Night diver....which I also get to write about.  Well, thats my life in relation to diving in a nutshell.  I do end up on all these journeys solo, which is why I joined singledivers!   :wacko:

May I carry your cameras and bags?

I'll be quiet and I won't accept tips and I'll never question your judgement or authority.

Please?

heck...i'll even type up your stories for you...all you'll have to do is dive.... :cool1: aboard...hope you find this place as great as i do

max
Posted Image
if your not living on the edge...your takin up to much space

landlocked by misfortune

"Kindness to others is the rent we pay for our time on Earth". - Muhammad Ali

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users