• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Congrats to ALL our TEACHERS!!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:15 AM

Congrats to all our TEACHERS today! :dazzler:

Today for many is the start of the new school year and all those excited kids and the chance to make a difference in their lives or save them!

Our blessings and prayers and good thoughts go out to those entrusted with educating our children! May you receive back 10fold the blessings you give out! :teeth:

Just for fun...would all our TEACHERS STAND UP AND TAKE A BOW...or at least post in this thread so we can know who you are!!! :cool1:

Our Celebrated Teachers:

1. Heidi aka uwfan :2cool:
2. Bill aka Dr. Bill (emeritus) :respect:
3. Carloyn aka Scubachick43 :(
4. Janet aka Dive N Flip :flower:
5. Rick aka Hipshot :hugs:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:08 PM

Er, sorry, I think most all of us have passed out after a very long day... teaching is rewarding but also exhausting, especially the first week. Thanks for the recognition, I hope to see some more posting-- once they've recovered!! :D

#3 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:41 AM

Kudos to those members in this profession. It is generally an over worked and under paid career whose rewards are often not seen for years. I taught classroom high school for 10 years and college for two. I never worked so hard at a job in my life (well, except maybe now when I'm my own task master).

I remember when I left teaching and took a job in the defense industry and my new boss asked me after a month or so "What's it like now that you're doing a 'real' job." Without hesitation I replied "I'm working 1/2rd the hours for three times the pay... this is like a vacation." His jaw dropped!

The future of our country rests on your shoulders. I wish more people understood that and valued good teachers as they should be.

As for the rewards, I stopped teaching high school back in 1979. To this day I get frequent e-mails and have "get togethers" with my students from that era that compliment me on my teaching and the experience they had in school. Perhaps one of my favorite compliments came from a troublemaker I frequently bumped heads with as a student. He was not invited back and as he walked down the pier to catch the boat, he said "You know Mr. Bushing, I hate you... but I was never bored in your classroom." Decades later he e-mailed me from his sailboat in the South Pacific to say how fondly he remembered my classes and how sorry he was that he didn't take fuller advantage of the education.

Edited by drbill, 24 August 2010 - 08:48 AM.

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:20 AM

I guess we should include "teachers" past and present! Putting you on the list too Dr. Bill! :D

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:03 PM

I'd like to recognize Scubachick43 (aka Carolyn), as she is a special needs teacher! Talk about a big heart and lots and lots of patience!!! Yup, school started this week for her, as well as for the children in Houston. Don't know when she will post here, but I'm sure she will when she can. This year, she has a new adventure of having 6 elementary aged children who are autistic. I believe most (if not all) are verbal, but I will leave the details for her to share.

For all teachers...

:wavey: :wavey: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :D :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

I have another friend (non diver) who is a teacher and every first day SHE gets the nerves & excitement where she can't sleep the night before. This is like her 16th first day :lmao:

Happy School Year, everyone!

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:07 AM

Great stories! And we'll CERTAINLY add Carolyn to the list! :wavey:

formerly...

#7 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:35 AM

Probably no more classroom teaching in my future, but I've always been an educator. Just prefer using the print and electronic media these days since you don't know when your "students" are asleep, stoned or acting up (or worse... I had students come at me with a pitchfork and a sword back in the 70s. I killed both of them... not).

#8 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

The first week of school is done for me...

Some highlights - deciding who wins the "I'm talking" game (the kids or me...) and then giving in on occasion when I learn from a first grader that my hair is "short but not so short, it's a little longer than before, but I(the student) got my hair cut short this summer" (yes, this was a girl)... and telling stories in the midst of checking out books..."what's your name"...kid tells me... "where'd you get those shells" (I set up a display of shells from Florida diving by the circulation desk)..."from the ocean"..."did you see any sharks"..."yes, some that were 6 feet long"...and then the beautiful part... THE EYES get ENORMOUS!... I love this job! (Yes, we did get to the nuts and bolts of curriculum, but sometimes... the conversations that are outside of the "curriculum" are priceless!!)

Now, if I can only find the money in our budget to repair laptops that are failing...

#9 DiveNFlip

DiveNFlip

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:OW Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Approx 15

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:59 PM

Well, the first week of school is finally over and all I can say is that I sure needed the SD HH tonight!

Five classes: four Health, one Adv. Health and then off to coach Gymnastics... All OK except one afternoon class: 41 students, 28 desks - You do the math!

Janet aka Dive n Flip

#10 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:13 PM

I'm scheduled to teach three Environmental Science classes at Mercy College this fall, although I'll need some more students to sign up for one of them. Ironically, with what they pay adjuncts, I could generate a positive cash flow with only two students in my class (and I've got more than that).

Rick

:thankyou:

'Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.' -Vince Lombardi

#11 scubachick43

scubachick43

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:101

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

THANK YOU so so so much for the recognization Margaret and the others. Yes, the first week was hectic. I am teaching Autism childen. All are verbal (whew)! Ages 4-6. i am looking forward to actually teaching academics. But along with that is behavior issues. As you can see I can't spell worth a flip. Anyway, i have to say that this first week I was dragging A$$$. My shoulders and neck are so tight. Margaret suggested a massage. So, Thursday evening I went to Massage Envy. Friday morning I felt like a new person. If I had the time and money I might do it 2x a week. An I HAVE considered it. We will see. Guess I would have to cut something out to be able to do it. Of course, diving NO -WAY. Hummmm

So, cheers to all the other teachers. Past and present!

Carolyn

--Halloween Week Cozy, counting down BABY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users