• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive Buddies....can yours help you when needed?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#31 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:35 AM

I carry a tether for low vis diving and its always in my pocket so I'll have it when I need it. They are very handy for these circumstances.

Isn't that short rope a JON line??
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#32 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:58 AM

I carry a tether for low vis diving and its always in my pocket so I'll have it when I need it. They are very handy for these circumstances.

Isn't that short rope a JON line??

Actually a jon line has rope or thin webbing with a metal modified hook on one end that you hook onto a rope so you can say near the hang line for your safety stop, or waiting your turn to get back on a boat in current or rough sea.

The tether I carry has a loop on each end and has about 5-6 ft of rope in the middle and lets you keep fairly close to your buddy even when you can not see them.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#33 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

Be honest WW, the only reason you don't use your tether on some of your rentabuddy people is because you can train them to stay close by "practicing buddy breathing."
It is hard for them to wander off when they are on your air. :)

Yes my long hose works much better than my tether!

And yes the former does have the advantage of practicing two skills... buddy breathing AND bouyancy/trim. Many a diver has dramatically improved their trim without realize it by trying to stay level with me when we do the buddy breathing share air practice exercise. :cool2:

And no they don't tend to wonder off! :lmao:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#34 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:54 AM

I've even heard these crazy rumors about some divers sneaking up and roping another diver's tank. :cool2:

Brad - have you ever heard of that??!!
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#35 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

Okay how about a thread split since it's gone way off topic now

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#36 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:04 PM

Okay how about a thread split since it's gone way off topic now

What part? Tammy said she wanted Kate's letter and subsequent dialog to remain.

formerly...

#37 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

Yeah but the jon line and free ride stories are going off topic

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#38 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:14 PM

Guess we could say that if you're close enough that you're riding someone's tank, they're close enough to help you if you need it! Of course, you'd have to let them know you're up there and need help.... :cool2:

QUESTION:

How many of you carry a noise maker to get someone's attention if you're in trouble? Not that we want to hear a cacophony underwater of shakers, pings and tank banging (or in some cases a duck quack!) to point out yet another drum fish, but since we can't shout to get attention when we're in trouble, there has to be an alternative.

I use a brass clip that is attached to my photo stick to tap on my tank. I can somewhat control the sound by tapping gently or more vigorously.
Posted Image

#39 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:23 PM

Yeah but the jon line and free ride stories are going off topic

They really aren't a separate topic at this time...but we'll monitor them to split when they become so. :cool2:

p.s Topics will wander a bit and as long as they do not permanently travel off topic they are fine. As soon as someone posts again within topic we are all back on track again. This is a nicer way to handle these matters and is a hallmark of SD.com.

formerly...

#40 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:54 PM

Talking about off topic is off topic. :cool2:

I wanted to circle back to the photog comment. I don't think they're bad dive buddies, just different. They don't cover as much territory and I like that. Most keep an eye out. I think video is more difficult as they have to move and keep watch on what they're filming. It's seems to be harder to keep track of what's going on around you when doing video.

Adding to address Tammy's Q: I carry a very loud shaker in my pocket. I don't think I used it once on this last trip. I save it for something really exciting or important.

Edited by lynnlchan, 20 September 2010 - 01:56 PM.

Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

• Guests

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:24 PM

Even though Kate's letter is not legally binding, I believe most people would take it as her last words about how she might look upon her death. I believe it would be a healthy way to deal with an unpleasant situation for both her and the mental state of the others involved. Nobody has to follow the suggestions or comments but it is a nice thought for those left behind.

#42 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:59 PM

Craig, would you care to also comment on dive buddy expectations or experiences?

Check out this editorial: "To Buddy or Not to Buddy"
http://www.dtmag.com...itorials.htm#ed

See also: "Solo Diving Should be Embraced" and "Buddies Can Inspire" (you may have to scroll down)
http://www.dtmag.com...torials.htm#bud

And: "SCUBA Diving Buddies: Rights, Obligations, and Liabilities"
http://papers.ssrn.c...ract_id=1266346 (this is an abstract only; at the top of the page select "one-click download" to read the full article or, in the alternative, I have the full article in .doc format that I will send to your email on request).

The need for and role of a buddy is dependent on the totality of the situation, including but not limited to the experience, equipment, and self-confidence of the diver and the buddy. As for me, I wouldn't think of night drift diving miles offshore at 130 ft at a previously unvisited wreck site in murky water without an experienced buddy already known to me, yet a buddy seems superfluous when day shore diving a familiar close in reef at 50 ft in clear calm water.

If my buddy has an emergency at depth and is calm and communicating then I would assist as best I can (I have no special training) but if my buddy is flailing around wildly then I'm not likely to risk injury or death to myself in order to assist, and I don't think I have any duty to assist in that circumstance. On the other hand, a dive buddy who has special training or experience (Rescue Diver/Master Diver/Dive Master) may have a legal duty to assist, even if it puts their own life at risk (and notwithstanding any release of liability).

I think of it this way: My neighbor's house is on fire. The fire has not yet engulfed the whole house. I can see my neighbor inside and hear him calling for help. He has fallen down and can't get up. If I can run inside and help him out of the house then I probably would. However, if it appears I might become a victim myself then I probably would not attempt a rescue. A responding fireman (special training by definition), however, would be expected to, and has a duty to, risk his own life in an effort to save my neighbor.

Edited by TexasDiver, 21 September 2010 - 06:05 PM.

#43 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:06 PM

are you hoping to get someone to retain and pay you to have a "proper document executed"

I'm sorry you find my comments unhelpful.
I would refuse an SD member as a client.

Edited by TexasDiver, 20 September 2010 - 09:07 PM.

#44 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:23 PM

Nobody has to follow the suggestions or comments but it is a nice thought for those left behind.

One of my points was that a "solemn" letter like this, styled as a pseudo "legal" document, could actually have the opposite effect to that intended. Instead of preparing a formal, signed statement, why not just discuss your feelings and desires with your friends and relatives while you're still alive?

Edited by TexasDiver, 20 September 2010 - 09:27 PM.

#45 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:42 PM

The sentence does not imply in any way shape or form that anyone other than the diver is at fault...the sentence points out - validly, I believe - that SOME of the fault MAY belong to my buddy. And I find it hard to believe that there aren't several situations where SOME fault may be ATTRIBUTED to my buddy even if the attribution is NOT valid.

Perhaps I was not clear. The sentence requires someone to be at "fault." On its face, the proposed language does not allow for the possibility that no one is at fault.

Edited by TexasDiver, 20 September 2010 - 09:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users