• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PADI to Debut Revised Rescue Diver Course

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JulioJoglar

JulioJoglar

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 10 September 2004 - 01:52 PM

Deeperblue.net reported yesterday that PADI will be announcing revisions to their Rescue Diver Course at the 2004 DEMA show in Houston, Texas.

http://www.deeperblu...ewsfull.php/947

According to the article, the new revisions includes more emphasis on rescue training sessions targeting divers in distress, integration of the Emergency First Response Program with the course, and new training in providing oxygen to injured divers. The new PADI Rescue Diver course materials are expected to be out in October.

#2 WileEDiver

WileEDiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Instructor/EFR I-T/Safety Signer I-T/DAN DES Instructor (All DAN Programs)
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 10 September 2004 - 02:14 PM

I'm looking forward to attending the IDC Staff Instructor Update session on Tuesday (1-5 PM).

The fee for the session will include:
  • Rescue Diver Course Manual with Slate
  • Rescue Diver Course Instructor Guide
  • Rescue Diver Cue Cards
  • Rescue Diver Final Exam

–WileEDiver

“Life is measured not by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

#3 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:27 PM

This course, or some other agency variation, is the one I really want to take. So, (sigh) I guess I'll have to get my AOW sometime soon....
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#4 wreck_maniac

wreck_maniac

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:DM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 12:09 PM

The Rescue Diver course is a lot of fun Marvel...you'll have a great time.
~dale

NC Wreck Divers Dive the Graveyard of the Atlantic

#5 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:23 PM

marvel, he just wants to show you all those dead diver tows and in-water rescue breathing....

hmmmmm...on second thought, maybe i need a refresher!

#6 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 05:03 PM

marvel, he just wants to show you all those dead diver tows and in-water rescue breathing....

hmmmmm...on second thought, maybe i need a refresher!

:respect:! Is this the incentive I need? Now to find the right instructor..... :anna:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#7 wreck_maniac

wreck_maniac

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:DM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 05:41 PM

Ooh...Ooh...Me..Me...I'll teach you and "refresh" TF :respect:
~dale

NC Wreck Divers Dive the Graveyard of the Atlantic

#8 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 07:55 AM

Ooh...Ooh...Me..Me...I'll teach you and "refresh" TF :taz:

:lmao: You're just greedy, Dale!
Marvel

Posted Image

#9 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 22 September 2004 - 11:57 PM

I just finished the PADI Rescue Diver course, just in time it seems. I had First Aid/CPR certification already, so I didn't have to take the optional EFR class (which would have been close to another $100 with all the fees. Now that they plan to integrate EFR into the Rescue Diver course, I imagine future Rescue Diver candidates will have to "pay another few dollars in".....

Marvel-- This course kicked my butt... it was exhausting.... but I highly recommend it.

#10 SquattingRadishDM

SquattingRadishDM

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Divemaster, Dry Suit....eventually the IDC...then Paradise
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:10 AM

This course kicked my butt... it was exhausting.... but I highly recommend it.

I whole-heartidly agree. Rescue was probably the most useful and rewarding course I did as it drastically changed the way I thought and went about diving. The rescue drills are a great confidence builder and it teaches you to think thru problems. It also makes you a less selfish diver and you end up paying alot more attention to ur buddy and the other divers, watching for stress pre, post and during the dive and talking through the parts of the dive they are/were apprehensive about.

I think every diver should at least make Rescue Diver they're long term goal, both from a personal standpoint and the overall safety of the sport.

Go for the course :-D
The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface iniquitous rights can still be exercised, men can fight there, devour each other there, and transport all terrestrial horrors there. But at thirty feet below its level their power ceases, their influence dies out, their might disappears.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence. There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 23 September 2004 - 01:30 PM

The rescue drills are a great confidence builder

What a concept! Confidence building skills.

teaches you to think thru problems.

Another great idea.

Now if we could just convince them to put problem solving and confidence building back into the OW course...........
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 24 September 2004 - 06:48 PM

PADI's Rescue course was very worthwhile for me. I would highly recommend this course or another agencies version. Due to the fact there were other classes going on in the same iron pit, we had to yell for "Pizza". Whenever I eat pizza I think of the course. I think it makes me a better buddy and I know it made me a better diver.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#13 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox

Posted 27 September 2004 - 02:10 PM

Just so you PADI Rescue divers understand. If I am laying back on the surface, with my mask on my forehead, taking a nap while waiting for the boat. NO, I AM NOT IN DISTRESS!!!!! :teeth:

Edited by Dennis, 27 September 2004 - 02:11 PM.

DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#14 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:43 PM

Doesn't it depend on who the rescue diver is? I mean, there are a bunch of good-lookin' rescue-ettes on this board who it might not be such a hardship getting some rescue breathing from!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#15 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 27 September 2004 - 06:29 PM

I was doing some of my Rescue Diver in-water skills and went back to retrieve my ditched gear from the instructor's float. As I swam toward it, I noticed a diver about 15-20 ft away who appeared to be in trouble. Had I not taken the course, I might not have been aware of her status. As it was, she was exhausted and in trouble. I towed her in towards the stairs until her "buddy" (a guy who was nowhere to be seen, at least by me, when I assisted her or when I had her rest on the float for 5 minutes) decided to "take over."

At first I thought she was a "plant" by my instructor or one of the other instructors I know who come to the dive park. All of them swore it was the real thing and they weren't aware of it.

It does change the way you look at things. Of course as a solo diver with my eye glued to my viewfinder, I won't see the problems... but it's good to know I can address them if I do!

Dr. Bill

PS- Seems to me that a lot of the Rescue Diver class subjects were included when I finally got my LAC open water cert decades ago.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users